Options

Interested in repainting the plastic trim?

Since I can’t go camping anywhere I decided to take on repainting the fading plastic trim on my 2005 t@b. Would anyone be interested in me documenting the process?  I would probably post it to a free blog site somewhere as there would be many, many pictures. 

Interested in repainting the plastic trim? 16 votes

Yes
87% 14 votes
No
12% 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80
    Definitely.  I have a little scuff in the wheel ring trim on my 400 and would like to know how to fix that.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I don't have an opinion one way or the other as I would be unlikely to repaint my trim even if did get a little tatty.
    However, I can tell you that the topic of painting plastic trim (either for maintenance purposes or just to change the color) has come up here on several occasions over the years. If you are inclined to document your efforts, I wouldn't be dissuaded by low poll responses as I suspect it will be a resource people will utilize when they decide they need or want to! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2020
    First, any paint job requires careful prep, removing all the wax, sanding the trim to get a “tooth” for the new paint to adhere to (fine wet anding is best) and proper primer/paint designed for plastic.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MconnerMconner Member Posts: 5
     what about just doing a wrap?
  • Options
    pjabbottpjabbott Member Posts: 8
    Well, I created https://tab-trailer.blogspot.com.  I'm not going to spam the forum with updates, so if you want to keep up with new posts subscribe to the Atom feed at the bottom.
  • Options
    pjabbottpjabbott Member Posts: 8
    Well I finished painting.  It was a lot more work than I expected but the results look pretty good.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    One heck of a project @pjabbott, but it looks like all your effort paid off.  I appreciate your tips on removing the plastic trim and keder rails, as well as the wheel well trim.  Sounds like it was a pretty tedious job for you.  The interior painting you did previously turned out nice as well.  Thanks for providing access to your blog.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Ditto to what Denny16 said.  Plastic cleaner also>here is one>

RM PLASTIC PREP-CLEAN GA

BASF R-M Products (Core)  Automotive Paint Supply,

902-1
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E