Options

Mattress Topper Suggestions Please

I hope everyone is staying safe and well out there. Getting things ready for an outing (hopefully soon!) in our 2020 400 Boondock Lite. We're looking for recommendations on mattress toppers for the bed. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks so much! Happy T@Bbing!

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    We used a 3 inch memory foam topper for 22 months (over 100 nights camping in our 2018 400) and had very comfortable nights sleep. We just bought a full size 8 inch Zinus memory foam mattress to replace the topper and original mattress and other than a few driveway naps have yet to fully test it out. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited August 2020
    @Boomzoom, we had our topper custom made to fit by MattressInsider (2" thick Brookside with 4 lb. memory foam.)  It includes elastic straps for all four corners, sized to fit the thickness of your T@B seat cushions.  It rolls up easily and we have been happy with it.  A little thicker might have been nicer, but it would have been bulkier when rolled up.  When we are not using it, we store it behind the rear fold-down bench on our 320 S.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress-topper.html
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    anbaanba Member Posts: 14
    We use a 2" queen size topper from https://www.sleeponlatex.com and are very happy with it. Just had to cut off a little bit from one corner. An electric knife will work for the cutting.
    2020 T@B400 BDL w/solar | 2013 Honda Pilot AWD
  • Options
    larryzlarryz Member Posts: 1
    I also bought the 2" Brookside Memory Foam topper with Organic Cotton from https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress-topper.html. I have a 2021 Tab 320. I ordered a custom size of 35" x 68" x 2". I can use it on either left or right (side running front-to-back) in the trailer, and can also use it running side-to-side across the back if I travel alone, allowing me to leave the dinette table in place with opposing seating.

This company is amazing. They communicated with me by email several times, keeping me informed about manufacturing and shipping dates. I've only slept on it twice so far but I have found it to be very comfortable. The quality of their product seems very high.   

• Options
    treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    Another Mattress Insider fan.

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Bayliss can I ask you what the custom size cost? 320s here  also,69”x70?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Mattress Insider fan as well. No need (in T@B 400) to cut off the odd rear/left corner. There is plenty of play in the system by the time you add a bottom sheet.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    We have a pretty simple 3 inch memory foam topper that has a fabric encasement.  I think we got it at Costco.  I trimmed a few inches off the long edge to fit the bed and make sure to maintain the open venting along the back wall for the Alde heat. It turned what was a surprisingly comfortable RV mattress into a very nice “I’m looking forward to sleeping in my camper” mattress.
  • Options
    @4ncar, we paid $199.00 in June 2019.  Our measurements for a 2019 320 S Boondock Lite is 70" W x 73" L (which are the measurements in the T@B sales brochure for our model.)
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Bayliss perfect, and thanks!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I went with this one. That said, I'd likely keep it to a Full Size and 2". This thing is very comfortable but it's a bit of overkill. Also be mindful that that Alde radiates heat from a radiator under the bed against the back wall. 

Also, break out the electric meat carver. You can trim these down to custom fit very easily with the handy little Procter Silex
    https://www.target.com/p/proctor-silex-electric-knife-74311y/-/A-10836642?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Appliances%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Appliances_Keurig&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031317&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247068&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntSU5Tyjt9RJCCN7sViF3jXy-IaYDs0tZsoAf7X7Jz9grqaOgIoB29YaAtMpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    2" Queen size Latex topper - could not ask for a better bed - supportively firm, but comfortable for side sleeping. Truly look forward to sleeping in my T@B!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYG9WBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Just a side question. I have a 4" topper memory foam. Nuisance for getting to storage, but thats another story.
    I noticed recently, that there is a thin padded rail along the back of the bed by the window. There is a gap between it and the tab back wall. I think @Denny16 said it was to allow heat from a radiator underneath.
    When i cut the topper, i left it too wide which pushed this rail flat against the wall. So now its angled with little gap. Even now i cut the topper down.
    Think its worth fitting some spacers to keep the gap? The mounting for the rail seems pretty flimsy.

• Options
    @Tundra57
    I'd recommend it, yes. If your rig is designed like my 2020 400 there's an Alde radiator along the back wall, believe it's directly under the window but don't quote me on that. Don't think you want to narrow or block that opening. 

Others with more knowledge can weigh-in and add color or correct me if I'm off base. 

Cheers, 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    @Tundra57
    Yes, that is the area where the Alde will radiate heat up for the bedroom. Probably a good idea to backstop yours with some spacers if it is really closed.
    A 2" topper on top of the original bed cushions is the exact right height to avoid going above that radiator area. Worked out really nicely for me.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    TabdrinkerTabdrinker Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered a 2021 T@B 320 S, and planning to get a mattress topper so I have it when my unit is ready for my first night on the road.  The one at https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress-topper.html seems highly recommended by many.   Any recommendations on what size to order?  72 x 75 seems about right?  What about mattress height?   Thanks for your feedback!
  • Options
    @Tabdrinker, see my May 3rd entry (above) regarding the thickness/height.  I included the measurements for my 2019 320 S (see July 30th entry), but your mattress measurements are likely different based on the year model of your T@B.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    To get the gap back under the window and along the back side, you could add some spacers, I plan to do the same, as the topper pushes against it.  I am also looking into the idea of just adding a wood trim board across the back, attached to a bit of ply that would go under the bed cushions, to create a more rigid back bit for the bed to remove pressure to the Alde vent opening.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    I have a 3" queen memory foam from amazon that I trimmed down with sewing scissors.  Didn't sleep well with it on top of the T@B mattress (too soft, can't roll over easily) but sleep like a rock now that I put it under the mattress. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Tabdrinker - the 2021 320 S model bed Is 71” x 72”.  Welcome to the forum BTW😊
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited September 2020

Denny16
    said:
    To get the gap back under the window and along the back side, you could add some spacers, I plan to do the same, as the topper pushes against it.  I am also looking into the idea of just adding a wood trim board across the back, attached to a bit of ply that would go under the bed cushions, to create a more rigid back bit for the bed to remove pressure to the Alde vent opening.
    cheers
    @Denny16, the existing trim is a heavy cardboard covered with fabric and foam. Behind this is a 1 x 2 that spans the width of the bed platform. Of special note is that the trim panel rests on top of the perimeter boards, so it is 1" above the deck surface, which prevents it from being rigid or as rigid as heavy cardboard can be. Even without adding anything to the top of my mattress, the panel in ours tended to want to be up against the back wall effectively closing the gap to prevent heat from rising up.

In preparation for the custom topper I ordered from mattress insider, I removed the trim panel and modified it. 

1. Remove the staples in the lower corners
    2. carefully peel back the cloth and padding
    3. Cut a 3/4" wide and 1" high notch in the cardboard
    4. Carefully trim the cloth to fit and fold it back over
    5. Re-staple the cloth to the cardboard using 1/4" staples
    6. Reinstall the trim

It now sits 1" lower and rests on the top of the bed platform instead of the side rails. The trim panel is much more rigid, I now have a more consistent gap all the way across the back wall of the camper which will no doubt help with the heating as the weather cools off in NC. 

For me, it appears this will work well. If it doesn't, I will look into a thin piece of luan or otherwise to replace the padded trim panel. 

***edit to add photos

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    one other thing you can do on the 320 or clam shell is buy a self inflating double wide air mattress. the kind that have a foam core and are only about an inch to inch and a hlaf or so. When you place the air mattress under the cushions it evens out any height differences in support panels. You can also adjust the firmness. It made the factory cushions much better for me and it is collapsible. Also a fiber or feather topper from Wamsutta over the top works as well. lightweight foldable, has big bands to attach to corners.
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited September 2020
    *edited* @Dutch061 - Thanks for the pics!
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    @ChrisFix - did you have to trim your queen topper down from the 60x80 size stated by Amazon to the 2021 400's 56x79 bed size or does wedging it in a bit help keep it in place?
  • Options
    @rhyno
    I did trim my down to the exact measurements...the topper I use is too dense to squish that much, and the convection heat opening is along the rear wall, that the topper (and mattress) fit up against. So you don't want to have that heat opening (which is somewhat flexible) to be squished shut.
  • Options
    An electric carving knife is a great tool for "customizing" your topper. And yes, be careful you don't collapse the upholstered frame against the back wall. Next little project is to insert a few small blocks in that gap to ensure it stays open. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    +1 on 2" of latex foam. We went with 'organic' latex foam, if you can believe that...
    We cut ours into two separate 'beds' so they'd roll up separately, allowing one of us to 'sleep in', while the other (me) makes coffee... This also allows separate sheets (actually nice quality cotton zippered cases for the foam) for each bed.
    We are very happy with it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Here is the custom topper I had made. Less than 7 days from date of special order to on the bed. Looking forward to sleeping on it.

You will notice it is the perfect height to the modified panel for the heat vent in the rear. This is a better gap across the back than stock.

Fits like a glove, very pleased with Mattress Insider. 

Concord, NC 
  • Options
    @Dutch061 - Looks good. Did you go 55x79?
  • Options
    56" at the top, 79" at the back, 73" on the front edge, and 49" at the foot of the bed. I was a little worried only because my measurements were different than what NuCamp publishes. I am very pleased with how well it fit, I was concerned with how the corner would fit in place "cut off". Just laid on it for a few minutes, I think it is going to sleep very well. Plus after making the modification to the "trim strip", I believe the heat will work much better too. Especially nice for my wife who sleeps way cooler than I do and the true season is just beginning for us as the weather cools down and the leaves start to change etc.

Brad
    Concord, NC