Options

Victron SmartShunt & battery cutoff switch installation

2»

Comments

• Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    For those of you with a T@B 320 and a single 12 V approx 100 Ah battery, what gauge wire are you using to connect the + battery terminal with the + terminal on the SmartShunt?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    @MarkAl honestly the best way to answer your question above about what is our remaining battery percentage is to say I wouldn’t know. That’s because since we’ve upgraded to Li we basically don’t even think about our battery anymore. It’s that much better. We also live and camp out west, so we know that as long as the sun comes out every few days (which it almost always does out west) then we don’t even bother to look at the monitor anymore 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    edited November 2020
    @DesertDweller - the red, fused positive cable should come with a BMV kit.  Maybe someone can chime in with the gauge.  I searched all over and can’t find the size in any of the Victron literature.

I can tell you the fuse for our BMV 700 is a T 100 mA E 250v fast blow cartridge fuse.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @DesertDweller - found this on a Victron Community forum:

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    For those of you with a T@B 320 and a single 12 V approx 100 Ah battery, what gauge wire are you using to connect the + battery terminal with the + terminal on the SmartShunt?
    Are you sure that you've got this right?
    There really isn't a "+ battery terminal on the SmartShunt"
    There is a Vbatt+ connection from the SmartShunt to the battery. It's a skinny little wire that comes with the SmartShunt and I believe that it provides just enough power to run the brains of the SmartShunt.

Other than that you should have negative lead from your trailer to the SmartShunt and then a negative from the other side of the SmartShunt to your battery.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-SmartShunt-EN.pdf
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline. Doh!  That’s what I get posting a message from memory rather than having the shunt or it’s instructions in front of me. I did mean the negative wire connecting the battery - terminal with the shunt - minus terminal. I did use the supplied red + wire to connect the shunt to the + battery terminal. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2020
    Normally, a 100AH battery would use a No, 4 battery cable, and it should be big enough. Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I used a 6G cable.  See here for photos & amazon source links..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8051/battery-spaghetti-fix-bus-bars

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Ok.  Thank you everyone.  I installed the SmartS inside my larger than necessary battery box with my original supplied SLA battery from my dealer.  I am able to get BT signal from inside my 320S. The solar controller is under the driver side bench with the other electrical connections, but the controller and shunt see and talk to one another via BT.  Yay!  I have not permanently mounted the shunt yet as I am still considering options.  Thanks to everyone for contributing to this and other related threads.