Options

Bringing a TAB home

jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
Hey everybody! I'll be driving 825 miles one way to pick up my new Tab 400. What do I need to bring with me to get it back safely? I know I need to buy a hitch with a 2" ball, and I'm getting a sway bar. I MIGHT stay the night somewhere if I need to. Total novice here.....obviously!  

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Purchase (and have installed) a class III hitch, a draw bar with the correct drop with a 2 inch ball mount.  Have a 7 pin harness installed on your TV with a charge wire and a brake controller. You should have a jack that fits the 400 to change a tire (or at least road side assistance service).  Consider a 12 v compressor and tire gauge.  Bring chocks (in case you need to unhitch somewhere), a tongue lock, too at a minimum.  Make sure the TaB battery is fully charged before you depart.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM

This is what the car has:

On/Off-Road Tires
    Rear Load Leveling Suspension
    "Trail Rated" Badge
    Tow Hooks
    Front Suspension Skid Plate
    Fuel Tank Skid Plate
    Shield Transfer Case Skid Plate
     Underbody Skid Plate
    Trailer Tow Group IV
    Delete Rear Tow Hook
    Full Size Spare Tire
     Quadra-Lift Air Suspension
    Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
    7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
    Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited May 2020
    First, Congrats! Assuming your TV is up to the task (tow capacity of at least 5000lbs, tongue weight of 500#'s) and you'll be spending a night on the road, couple thoughts. You indicated you're a novice so hopefully none of this is "obvious" to you. There are a myriad of things to consider and no doubt others on here will offer some very good advice...as they always do!

Think about recording your "walk-thru" with the dealer so you can go back and review all the info they'll give you. Not my idea...read it on here elsewhere and thought I'd pass it along.

Do a thorough systems check on both 110V and 12V systems, as well as water systems, if possible. Fill the water tank to at least 2/3 - 3/4 level to help offset some tongue weight.

Once you've hitched the T@B to the TV, do a walk-around and check that all lights are working properly...brake, turn, tail, clearance, etc. and that all the hitch mechanisms are properly connected (jack fully retracted, safety chains crossed and connected w/o dragging, 7-pin secured, emergency braking cable secured). Trust you have a trailer brake module on the TV? Ensure that's set properly so you're not either (a) overtaxing the brakes on the TV or (b) overbraking the trailer brakes. Be aware, over time the trailer brakes will "wear in" so to speak so some adjustment to the braking power will be necessary. Recommend you don't exceed 50-55MPH when towing (thus the overnight stay requirement). Whatever your normal braking distance is for your TV, you should add at least 50% to that distance, if not more. If you encounter high winds or something causes the trailer to begin to sway, get off the accelerator don't oversteer, and use the trailer brakes only to bring the trailer back in line. Take Your Time...

If you're talking about a 1650 round trip, that'll certainly require an overnight stop somewhere. 825 miles one way without the trailer is a LONG day (11-12 hours on the road)...while towing the T@B home, out of the question, especially for your first adventure. Find a RV park along the way, if possible. If not, you'll have to find a place to boondock (dry camp). If so, might be best to keep the TV connected as you likely don't want to be doing that for the first time in unknown territory. 

Recommend you consider joining an RV road club of some sort (Good Sam, etc.) that also offers roadside assistance, discounts on camping, etc.  

Also recommend:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6371/t-b-owners-manuals#latest

All that said...ENJOY THE JOURNEY! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Thanks for the advice. My TV can do the job-(it better!). I need to buy the trailer brake and have it installed before I go. The TV is in Colorado and due to arrive in 2 weeks. I hate waiting! I'll definitely keep it hitched up for the overnight stay! 
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Anticipation is a wonderful sense! Many options on the brake. I went with this one and like it very much:
    https://www.tekonsha.com/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/trailer-brake-control-proportional/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB508pViEKmVBf

Good Luck! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited May 2020
    Tell us what the tow vehicle is.  You need to be specific about what "Trailer Tow Group IV" includes.  It may include the wiring for a brake controller, but might not...it may include a 7 pin plug...but might not......every car make is different, so the more specifics you can pull out the better. 
    PS:  I might be reading this wrong:  are the items below "Trailer Tow Group IV the included items? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Yes, the Trailer Group IV items are listed below that. Please tell me this will work as I've searched for 3 weeks and paying $300 to have it shipped to Texas. It's a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited, gas, 4x4, 3.6L V6 engine with the Tow Package. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Read your manual because you probably have trailer sway control built into the Jeep. I have never needed a sway bar with my Grand Cherokee. It tows like a dream.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It does have trailer sway control, but I didn't know if that was good enough. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The Jeep trailer sway control does the job nicely.  I have no issues towing the TaB400 with my big Jeep.  I am using a Curt Echo wireless, which does not require a fixed installation, it goes between Jeep plug and the trailer connection.  Uses you smart phone as a control panel.  Using this while I wait for Jeep to get the OEM controller released and installed.  Good luck, and just take your time.  
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 is it the 51180? 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    Congrats!  And I second the prodigy brake controllers.  I used them for years.  I had the P2 version.  Do a little internet search to see if you can install it yourself.  Most new vehicles with tow packages have the harness right there under the steering column.  Not sure if jeeps have it or not but more than likely they do.   If so you simply plug the brake controller in and screw the controller to the dash with a couple little screws.  I know you have a long tow to get the trailer home but I would do the trip with out the added sway bar.  Try your vehicle as is and you may be pleasantly surprised.  Especially from what others with jeeps have said.  If you're still not comfortable when you get home you can always add it later.  Have a fun and safe trip!  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2020
    Yes Jeep does, but the dash bottom is too low to attach a brake controller, it has to go in the dash somewhere.  OEM version replaces the 12V in dash outlet.

Jennifer, yes, the CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth-Enabled Smartphone Connection.  Easy to setup and no special wiring harness required.  The Prodigy controller is nice, if you have a good spot to mount it, and can get the correct wiring harness for the Jeep GC.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.