New Owners-Pickup Tomorrow! 2020 T@B 320 Boondock Lite

Susan0214Susan0214 Member Posts: 20
My husband and I are so excited to start camping again. 20 years ago we took the kids on camping adventures - first a tent, then a pop-up, and then a travel trailer. Have only stayed in state park lodges and cabins since then but enjoy kayaking and being closer to nature. My interest peaked again when I was home during the lockdown and life’s pace slowed down. I actually outfitted my SUV and car-camped on the way to visit my sister in Asheville, NC. After that I was hooked again! Love living in SW Florida but also want the opportunities to explore the rest of the country in all its glory!

There is no way my hubby will camp without A/C available and I really wanted an on-site toilet for nights (aging creates additional requirements!). Once I saw the T@B products he couldn’t talk me into anything else. I would actually be happy with the T@G if there was a way to make a toilet area, but just a little bit too compromising for him. I don’t want to tow anything bigger than the 320 since I anticipate taking solo trips. Started out looking at lower price ranges and found a used one at a dealer but discovered water damage in floor. Nu Camp is actually going to replace the floor for the dealer but we decided we would like to start fresh and with the 1 year warranty. We plan on trying out closer to home over the next few months even though it’s going to be hot! I’ve already got two separate weekend reservations through July within 3 hours of home. Trying to find something in N. Georgia, Tennessee, or North Carolina for Sept/Oct and already have reservations for next year at Yellowstone for our 33rd anniversary! Hopefully we will have trained ourselves and outfitted our rig for efficient boondocking by then.

Thanks for all the info. on this site. It’s been invaluable and I am sure it will continue to be so!

Comments

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Howdy, Welcome, and nice Introduction that will resonate with most folks here!

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    That’s exciting!  Nice to have it for the beginning of the season!  Congrats!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Welcome aboard.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited June 2020
    Congratulations!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Susan0214Susan0214 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks to all of you for the welcoming comments! I am looking forward to participating in the forum. 😀
  • mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @Susan0214   new camper owners too. Interested in knowing what campground you are staying at in Yellowstone ?Your post got us to thing a little in advance for a change !
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Susan0214
    Welcome aboard! No doubt you'll enjoy this forum and the new rig. 

Wear it out! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Susan0214 ; I've been listening to the "Rootless Living" podcast, and the attitude of many of his guests are interesting. While there's every flavor of RVer or camper, several guests of the show have pointed out that the big national parks are often the target of the family that gets that one vacation each year.  So national park campgrounds, especially the coveted ones like Yellowstone can have a more boisterous, noisy crowd who have to party and make as many memories as possible in that one short burst.  Not exactly a relaxing environment for folk who want to get closer to nature.

So if you're boondocking experts by your anniversary, consider looking into dispersed camping in the forest.  There's hundreds of beautiful spots in Yellowstone and the Tetons with picturesque views but without all the noise, especially after the summer rush is over.  You can always drive into the park to visit the lodges, geysers, major waterfalls.

How does Team T@B feel?  Are some of the national park campgrounds getting too noisy in peak season lately?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Since our acquisition, we have had two 2-night weekend camping trips and I just returned from a solo mid-week 3 night trip with our small dog. So far, we have been staying at different Florida State Parks. Next month, my adult son and I are heading to Cloudland Canyon State Park for a 3-night adventure with his Australian Shepherd. We will also stay a night in the way up and back. October, hubby and I go for a 5-day to Cherokee, NC. We have been very happy staying at state parks with water/electricity on site. I’m afraid I have gotten spoiled with the hookups, but will try boondocking once the temps get better in Florida - maybe January? My first major hurdle was doing the whole process by myself. My last is to learn to back into a site. I cheated with a pull-through for my first solo, but do get brownie points for having to use my leveling wedge with additional wood as I seem to have picked the most un-level site at the campground! Thank God for backup cameras - I didn’t realize it would be relatively simple to line up the hitch ball and receiver. 😀 Having a great time so far and the Air8 is doing a wonderful job of keeping us cool. Only complaint is the loud noise and vibration but I will accept that to be in a cool space when it’s 96 degrees and 75% humidity out. Thanks to all for the support and encouragement!
    @Susan0214   new camper owners too. Interested in knowing what campground you are staying at in Yellowstone ?Your post got us to thing a little in advance for a change !
    We have reserved the Grant Village Campground. Still not sure I will be able to camp without electric and water hookups but time will tell. I did figure out hitching, unhitching, leveling, setting up campsite, emptying a dump station, using the T@B’s toilet, and towing, so there’s hope for me...
  • mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    Thanks !
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
    edited August 2020
    My recent experience with a beach RV camp area, we used as a shake down trip in the new camper, that used to be quiet with sites that were well dispersed, has now been redone by new owners, creating additional spaces between the former dispersed ones (done before Covid19) is now invaded by annual campers from inland speaking a cool week/ling weekend. While we still had one of the dispersed sites (at extra cost), the crowd was just across the road and they were loud, and not following Covid protocols, (no masks, not staying 6-feet apart, etc).  

Not going back to that or any similar RV park anytime soon.  Will be doing free camping (boondocking) in more remote locations in the foreseeable future.  While Yellowstone is on our list, we will be camping out on BLM dispersed camping areas outside the park proper.
    cheers
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Denny16 said:
    My recent experience with a beach RV camp area, we used as a shake down trip in the new camper, that used to be quiet with sites that were well dispersed, has now been redone by new owners, creating additional spaces between the former dispersed ones (done before Covid19) is now invaded by annual campers from inland speaking a cool week/ling weekend. While we still had one of the dispersed sites (at extra cost), the crowd was just across the road and they were loud, and not following Covid protocols, (no masks, not staying 6-feet apart, etc).  

Not going back to that or any similar RV park anytime soon.  Will be doing free camping (boondocking) in more remote locations in the foreseeable future.  While Yellowstone is on our list, we will be camping out on BLM dispersed camping areas outside the park proper.
    cheers
    Can you say where that was? A friend took his Airstream to the Manchester Beach KOA last week and didn't have a swell time. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    The camp is at Westport Beach, north of Westport, the most northern town on the coast part of Hwy1 before it turns inland to connect to Hwy101.
    cheers