Options

Grey Water Flange Valve has cracked

Hello,
My grey water flange valve has four screws, one for each corner.  One corner has cracked, as though the screw was too tight.  Now it leaks.  If I open the end cap, and leave the grey drain valve closed, no water comes out.  So I am blaming the cracked flange valve in front of the drain valve.  How do I replace it, and what do I replace it with?  This flange is glued onto the pipe! If I saw it off, then the pipe will be too short.  Do I have to replace the pipe?  Help please!
2014 Little Guy T@B S Max

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    Picture please.  Where does it leak from?  You state that no water comes out when the valve is closed - as it should be.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KarenKKarenK Member Posts: 50
    By no water leaks out I meant the valve is still working and the crack is before the valve.
    The corner of the flange where it is screwed in to the other flange is cracked.  I'm not sure this picture will help any.  I tried to seal the crack with Marine Sealant, but just made a mess and it makes no difference; still leaking....  Under my camper is a real mess!  I never noticed that...
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @KarenK, the photo is pretty close up, so difficult to be sure where the crack is located.  Is it possible to post a photo that is taken from a little further back so we can see exactly which area is depicted?

I am guessing that it is the back side of where the gray water valve (and pull handle) connects to the gray water pipe.  If so, then it is either a matter or replacing the valve assembly, OR cutting the pipe behind the valve and replacing it from that point.  It shouldn't be too complicated, but it probably would be best for you to have it done by a dealer if you have never done anything like that.

This will give you an idea of what I am referring to.  The only question is whether it is the valve, or a cracked pipe:

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/repair-bad-rv-waste-dump-gate-valve/

Here's a Valterra video that describes how the waste valve attaches and operates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhxPtqWhVk
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Except the valve seems to work fine.  It's the flange area that is cracked, where the two are screwed together.  Now the cracks are covered in marine glue. You're right, the picture was too close.  I took another.
  • Options
    Actually, I think I'd like the single output solution from folks who have modified their two drain systems.  Since this is now a problem, may as well fix it right!  
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @KarenK getting that mod done is a great idea!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @KarenK, I too agree that would be a good idea.  You might as well do it right if you have to do it anyway.  I have never had to change a waste valve on a trailer, but part of the whole assembly slips on to the pipe leading from the holding tank.  Since the part that slides onto the drain pipe is glued in place with PVC cement, the pipe leading from the tank would need to be cut to remove the entire valve assembly.  It may be necessary to add a short piece of (extension) pipe to the drain pipe that is cut, but it is definitely doable.  Fortunately, it is a fairly simple project for someone who has done some minor plumbing jobs.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    I've done minor plumbing jobs, as has my son :)  I also found the 'Single Waste Discharge for the Outback' mod from a few years back and have ordered the parts.  Thank you for your comments and suggestions - it's so wonderful knowing I have people to discuss these unexpected problems and ideas with.
  • Options
    While I'm at it; Can I combine both the gray and black tanks to just collect gray water?  The toilet and black tank have never been used! That way we'd have more gray water storage. 
  • Options
    @KarenK, that question is beyond my pay grade.  That would take quite a bit of pipe re-routing, because the sink drain would need to be connected (through a second route) to the black tank, which you would have to cut in to.  I don't think that is something you would want to do.  Besides, it would adversely affect the re-sale of your trailer in the future.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    KarenK said:
    While I'm at it; Can I combine both the gray and black tanks to just collect gray water?  The toilet and black tank have never been used! That way we'd have more gray water storage. 
    Even if you connected the tanks, I suspect this would create a problem. The black tank sits higher than the shower drain. By the time the grey water level got high enough to start filling the black tank, it would already be coming up through the floor of the shower!
    2015 T@B S