Options

Hardwired Hughes Power Watchdog in 2021 T@B 400

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    CharlieRN said:
    The issue of stranded vs solid wire is an interesting one. I won't know for sure until I actually get into the installation, but it looks like nuCamp used standard Romex 10 ga (solid 2-wire w/gnd) for the wire run from the 30 amp outside connection to the WFCO. The runs are also unsupported.
    @c@CharlieRN
    Yes, it seems that is the standard practice at nuCamp (and probably other RV manufacturers).
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    A mate of mine is a commercial electrician, and another mate is a former marine electrician, and they both state stranded power cables are preferred over solid wires in something that moves, like a boat, RV, and hydro-electric machines (think large construction and logging machines).  Stranded wire can flex without failure (solid wire will fatigue and break), smaller diameter wire can carry the same load as a larger solid wire, so a savings in weight and mass is also an advantage, along with being more flexible for routing in tight spaces.  

That said, the short run in a TaB trailer is probably not an issue, but I would still tie it down to reduce flex issues, which is a code requirement in mobile homes and most building codes.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Solid wire just seems a lot easier to find - some smaller HW stores I visited didn't even have 10/2 solid wire (12/2, 14/2, and 10/3 seem more 'standard') though a trip to Home Depot resolved that (but they didn't have stranded).  I'm curious - is there any issue with stranded being used in receptacle terminals I wonder?  Many of those use screw-down terminals that could more easily crush into the stranded bundle, separating it and potentially resulting in a less solid connection.  With a solid wire you don't have that - the screw terminal just bites right into the solid wire.  Ditto for the terminals in an EMS/surge protector..

Anyways, 12/2 solid isn't overall that bad - it's stiff, but nothing like the AWG1 battery cable I used for my Victron BMV installation - that thing needs to be muscled into an exact shape before installation - it's one honking-thick chunk of metal.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    While time consuming, solder tinning the exposed wire before screwing down, eleminates the issue with stranded wire and mechanical fasteners.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @CharlieRN, I like the location where @TomCanada mounted his remote digital display for the Progressive Industries EMS, but I do not have the Nautilus system, so below is a pic of where I mounted mine.  I like it, because I can view the display from the entry door, plus I am not bothered by the lighted display at night while sleeping.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    On boats, they used a soldered on wire connector or marine crimp on that has cement in it.  Use the sold ring style, not the spade.  Commercial outlets have a hole in the back to stick stranded or solid wire in, which is then tightened by the terminal screw.  These are very positive locking, and avoid the issue of working loose due to vibration.  

Stranded AWG wire is available in the cut to length wire department in most large hardware or big box stores.  Marine stranded, which is better, as it is tinned (no corrosion) is available on line from Marine supply companies, like West Marine or Hamilton Marine on the East coast.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    aphillipsaphillips Member Posts: 27
    We picked up our 2022 Tab 400 BD last week and are so thankful for this forum! Thought I'd share what we ended up doing with our EMS (per our dealer recommendation) in case it helps someone else. No need to add any wire. We just cut the wire and installed it in the area at the front of the under bed storage. We drilled a small hole through the wood to the outside access storage area so that the bright lights of the remote display were not inside the camper. 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    aphillips said:
    We picked up our 2022 Tab 400 BD last week and are so thankful for this forum! Thought I'd share what we ended up doing with our EMS (per our dealer recommendation) in case it helps someone else. No need to add any wire. We just cut the wire and installed it in the area at the front of the under bed storage. We drilled a small hole through the wood to the outside access storage area so that the bright lights of the remote display were not inside the camper. 
    Looks good!  I would've considered a similar approach - I just didn't want to eat into my limited storage space :)  Much easier though for sure than reaching in behind drawers to get access to cabling!
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    aphillips said:
    Nice! Never even considered that unused space for my Watchdog install. And it doesn't eat into your storage since it's in that weird wire chase area.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road