Options

Yellow pressure relief valve water loss

rmcarthurrmcarthur Member Posts: 51
i have a  2016 T@B 320 CS-S. While dry camping water drains out of the relief valve (where the yellow valve is) a few seconds after running water. This occurs whether running either hot or cold water. The yellow relief valve is in the "off" position (down). Water flows through the faucet normally. Is there an adjustment on the water pump? Could it be the water pump has a filter and needs to be cleaned? Or could it be the water temp is too high?

(I updated the title for search purposes.)

Comments

• Options
    To clarify, the water doesn't drain out of the relief valve until after shutting the faucet off. I have turned the water temp down to low on the mixing valve.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    The pump filter should be examined and cleaned from time to time anyway, but I don't think that would impact that valve.  Does the valve leak at all while on city water?  It is pressure sensitive.  Is it possible your pump has a little pressure surge as it turns off with faucet closure?  Try flipping the yellow valve handle to the other side and see if that relieves the "leak".  The valve may need to be replaced. 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I think you're right,  SHARON. I've tried flipping the valve back and forth and same results. The pump does have a pressure surge with faucet closure.  Will be replacing the pressure relief valve. Thank you!!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Yes, that would be an easy fix!
  • Options
    Do i need a Pex tubing tool to take off the old valve and put the new relief valve on?
  • Options
    @rmcarthur, I checked out the interweb and have some information.  Before changing the valve, make sure there is no debris that might interfere with the valve operation.  Per an Airstream owner video, the Alde pressure relief valve is set to 65 psi, so your pump pressure is probably just a little over that pressure.  So, in my mind, your valve is working and you may not need to change it at all.  Maybe consider adjusting your pump pressure if that few second trickle of water is bothersome.  

I also read that Alde has sent owners new relief valves, but I am sure nuCamp also has a supply.

I would suggest emailing Tech@nucamprv.com and ask if it is necessary to change the valve and inquire about the pump pressure setting.  I think someone on the forum adjusted their pump.

Please update us with what you end up doing.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited June 2020
    rmcarthur said:
    Do i need a Pex tubing tool to take off the old valve and put the new relief valve on?
    Most likely. There are two different types of ring fittings--either will work but the tools are a little different. Both the tools and the rings should be available at your local plumbing or big box home store.
    You can cut the old rings off but need the tool to tighten the rings on the new connection.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thanks for posting the above links, @Sharon_is_SAM.  I wasn't aware that the pressure switch can be adjusted, but now I do!  I have not had any issues with the SHURflo pump on my T@B, but I used to own a Cougar fifth wheel with the FloJet pump and it rattled like a machine gun, just as described in the "doityourselfrv" post.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Actually,  Sharon, the valve Does NOT leak when on city water. Hmmmm
  • Options
    IDK, but I say, leave well enough alone😀
  • Options
    So I took the T@B to an RV dealer and he simply applied pressure with his finger on the pressure relief valve while running the water from the fresh water tank, turned the faucet off - and no leakage occurred. The pump responded normally. Tried the same process again without finger pressure, and it leaked after the faucet was turned off. Will be replacing the pressure relief valve in early July at our regular RV/T@B dealer. Thanks again for all of the feedback!