Storm Damage to my 2016 Tab 320S :(

BallermarisBallermaris Member Posts: 32
edited June 2020 in Factory Comments
It is one of those days when you think everything is going well until a storm hits. Low and behold a massive limb crashes down on the rear of the trailer. Thus ends a good day and the beginning of the insurance claim and repairs.

Ugh, what a day, and that thing will be going to an RV body shop.

Ballermaris
Tow Vehicle - 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Trailer - 2016 T@B320S

Comments

• elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    Ugh, so sorry!  Glad you were safe though.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Sorry.  This is a good reminder to avoid parking under trees - especially when it rains, the limbs are extra heavy.  It looks very fixable and could have been a lot worse.  Keep us posted with the end result.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BallermarisBallermaris Member Posts: 32
    The trailer was NOT directly under any trees. That massive limb fell from a tree 75 feet away which is 150-200 feet tall. We had straight-line winds recorded at the local airport at 70 mph during the incident. (We are 1.5 miles from it.)

Needless to say, said tree is coming down as soon as possible.
    Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Ouch! Major bummer. Hope your repairs are swift and to your liking. 

Always hate to see trees being dropped but certainly understand your point. Is there a chance you could delimb it a bit and top it instead? 

Good luck with the repairs, @Ballermaris  
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @AirBoss, the problem with straight line winds is they might be straight but they do as much damage to a tree as a tornado. I thought I saved one after straight line winds took 2/3rds if it, but within 5 years it had to come down because it was still weakened. It was 36” across at 6” from the ground, and it had been a sturdy hard maple tree before that. I always planted at least one tree, if not two, whoever I lost a tree there. It seemed to be the right thing to  replace it as the entire neighborhood used to be a very large woods.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Wow!  Scared!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I will let the insurance company decide that. I have now had to call the insurance company for the house too. I found a 10 in diameter limb today it shaved off the top of the privacy fence and so with the area of the roof possibly damaged now, I will let experts do the decision. I will ask that the tree come down because it has been shedding a considerable number.
    Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
    edited June 2020
    The T@B320S has been temporarily "bandaged" to prevent water entry. I decided to use Gorilla Duck Tape which is waterproof. It looks ugly, but gets the job done.

I decided to do an overlap, with the left side body panel "blue" was showing a slight gap. It looks like the damage can be repaired with a tig welder on the rear but that tail light unit and handle will have to be replaced along with the wood underside.

Then a repainting, and it will be a happy camper again.

I'll leave the Jeep hooked up till I get the call to bring it in. It makes it more simple than being rushed to get things connected. 

Hopefully the folks at the factory will not cringe too much.

Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I hate that this happened to you. I am so sorry.

The cost to replace the aluminum roof is significant. Be prepared to battle them totalling your T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn
    While I'm sure the damage here is more than what is shown and beyond superficial, but to total the rig? Man...I'm in the wrong business!  ;)
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

edited June 2020
    Total? Uh no, that damage is completely fixable, and I will not total that camper. That crease can be TIG welded. (They will smooth out the DENT, WELD, SAND, PRIMER and then REPAINT.) This is because I asked if it is possible and they said no issues and that is the recommended fix. I will take the AFTER photo to show the repair.

Total the dang thing? What are people smoking? Shall I bring a 20-pound sledgehammer and demonstrate serious damage to an aluminum roof?

The hit was on the SLOPED end of the roof panel. Now if it had been a siding trailer, I would have been putting pieces in a recycling dumpster.

I noted that another limb JAMMED my shore power cord into the socket too. Sigh... So they got to get that one out too and replace the socket. No biggie. Insurance is covering it.

I am certainly NOT looking for a new Teardrop after this. I am happy with the little critter, and the looks are priceless when I am towing it with my Wrangler.

Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    No, that is not a major enough incident to get a trailer “totaled“
    Very fixable.  Good luck.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited June 2020
    Right-O! T@Bs take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

2015 T@B S
    @ScottG
    Ouch! Is that your rig? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Yep. Looks a lot worse than it was, though. The branch just kinda' laid down in the thick snow on top. The only evidence of the incident is one small dimple in the aluminum roof skin where I think the broken stump of a branch might have poked it a little hard.
    2015 T@B S
    The T@B trailers are surprisingly resilient. I had the cover off as I was working on stuff on the inside, so in the end, I had to offload everything to take it to the dealer which thankfully is an authorized service center for the T@B. 
    Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S