Options

What is the best campsite in Yellowstone for my 2017 cs-s max? We are going in late August.

HergHerg Member Posts: 38
We are going to Yellowstone the last week of August.  What is the best place to camp. I have a 2017 max cs-s.  
2017 CSS Max

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Is their availability?  Do you need electric?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @Herg, my wife and I stayed at the Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone.  It is a large and well-maintained park, very close to the west entrance.  Although it is often booked up, I have some friends who were there about a month ago and they said there were plenty of spots, because it had just recently been allowed to open up for out-of state travelers.  There is also a KOA in the area, which looks like it might be nice, but I have not stayed there or checked it out closely.

https://www.grizzlyrv.com/campsites
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    The only CG with hook ups in Yellowstone NP is Fishing Bridge.  All sites there are essentially identical.

• Options
    https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Limited campgrounds currently open, none with electric.  Do you have solar?
  • Options
    No I do not have solar but looking at getting it
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I believe Fishing Bridge will be closed all of 2020. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    We're going in late July and are staying in West Yellowstone area just outside the park, Rainbow Point CG, on Hebgen lake.  Second time staying there and we love it.  Especially if you have a kayak and like to fly fish!  It's about 20 minute drive to the west entrance, plus your on the lake and its much quieter and less busy there.  Just plan on getting into the park very early on the days you want to go.  Just a thought.  They have electric and non-electric sites.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Ok.  We will be coming in from the East.    We will keep it in my mind. Thank you!
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The best site will.be an available site, if you want to stay inside of the park.

In the summer, people will line up as early as 6:00 AM in some campgrounds for a spot and the reservable sites fill up early in the year. You can always consider a NFS cg outside of the park.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited June 2020
    We went last September without reservations, thinking it would be off-season. Even mid-week, the closest we could get was the KOA near the west entrance that Bayliss mentioned. Our site (site #101- T@B sized) was right along the 55 MPH Targhee Pass Hwy.  But at least we had a string of barbed wire on the edge of the site to protect us if a vehicle came off the roadway. Other than that the KOA was nice.  We were out of there and on to NFS land near the Tetons ASAP.

Make reservations!

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @CrabTab, we saw your trailer in the visitor center/shopping area parking lot at Grand Teton National Park, but you were not around at the time.  Couldn't miss the crab on the back of your trailer.   :)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Ok. Interesting.  Need a reservation
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    Let us know how it goes, we are headed that way next June.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited June 2020
    @Bayliss sorry we didn't connect. We were only in the visitor's center briefly,  had stopped for the obligatory stamp in our NPS passport book...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2020
    A few years ago I stayed at the Slough Creek primitive campground. I stayed there before I got my T@B, but there is plenty of room for small and medium sized campers. the road into the campground is a mile or so off pavement and fairly rutted but easily navigated with care.

The site was beautiful. It's in the north end of the park near Mammoth Hot Springs area. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trailpixie/15804545221/in/album-72157652341737786/ 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have used the West Yellowstone KOA as a base camp on several occasions.  They were friendly and accommodating.  I blew out my stargazer window on the way down from
    Helena and their maintenance man allowed me full access to his work area, hooked me up with duct tape and plastic to cover the opening and I was good to go!  It was a convenient location and allowed me to see the park and without the hassle of looking for availability inside the park which was difficult at the time.  I had several tourists come over the center line while gawking and am glad I wasn’t pulling a trailer as people do not pay close attention and wrecks do happen in the park.  West Yellowstone has amenities that you won’t find inside the park.

Have a fun trip!  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    WyoReddogWyoReddog Member Posts: 9
    I second @Trailpixie—Slough Creek is our favorite. Bring bear spray.  
  • Options
    We backpacked in this area.  Lovely.  The Sloughcreek campground is currently closed.