Options

320 Back Trim

rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
Brain sprain. Got my 2018 TAB 320S home from seller. Big dealer letters advertising their website. Peeled off and used GoBEGone on it to get remained and it stained the black grime. Any tips or tricks to fix it?
2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
More Smiles Per Mile! B)
Enjoy doing and sharing mods

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Try a small amount of rubbing alcohol an  inconspicuous area.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2020
    @rcarlson1957, I am surprised that Goo Gone did not work for you.  Although I have no idea what it would do with a "stain," this might be worth checking out.  I saved the info from a previous post by @awandler, who used it to remove all the T@B decals:

https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Sprayer-Adhesive-Graphics-Stripes/dp/B01MSFD50H/ref=asc_df_B01MSFD50H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309777800852&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9433058774306993666&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013442&hvtargid=pla-569362260161&psc=1

Here's the discussion thread:

(https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/137380#Comment_137380
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    i pulled the stick on I pulled the stick on letters off and then used it to wipe of the remaining reside and iDisk oleoresins the black finish.
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
  • Options
    Oh, I misunderstood the original post. I thought you were looking for a way to soften/remove the adhesive left from the stickers. Can you post a picture of the area on the trailer that needs attention?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    It’s embarrassing but here’s a pic. Groan! 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @rcarlson1957, it is hard to tell if anything will clean it and restore the black finish.  Therefore, you may need to paint that whole piece with a gloss black that will work on ABS plastic.  Try Googling "best paint for abs plastic."  It looks like Krylon brand would work, but you should research any pre-painting prep that may be required, and what you will need to do to ensure that the paint blends well with the adjacent taillight housings.

Take a look at this thread and see if it provides any helpful information:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/138650#Comment_138650

P.S.  You might give the original RV dealer a call and see if they have ever encountered this, or have any ideas.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Assuming that it is Goo Gone residue, my suggestion of lightly scrubbing with rubbing alcohol may work. Work on a small area to test. Maybe try a cleaning solution (409, fantastic, etc.). You could even try blotting with a bit of the Goo Gone to soften it up before cleaning.

Don't try anything with acetone or anything abrasive as that could damage the ABS. 

Looking forward to hearing of your progress...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I've never seen Goo-Gone turn white like that.  Usually after using Goo-gone washing with soap and water will clean the residue off.  You didn't actually say Goo-Gone in your original post.  Did you use something else or did you really mean Goo-Gone?
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I've never seen Goo-Gone turn white like that.  Usually after using Goo-gone washing with soap and water will clean the residue off.  You didn't actually say Goo-Gone in your original post.  Did you use something else or did you really mean Goo-Gone?
    I wondered about this too, plus there are multiple types of Goo Gone (ex: spray versus gel) with presumably different formulations. A photo of the exact product used might be helpful.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    From what I’ve read, goo gone and plastic are not a good combo. It can cause damage to the plastic. Always try on an inconspicuous place before using. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Maybe if you let a piece of plastic soak in Goo Gone for awhile it might cause some damage but I doubt it.  The Goo Gone bottle says to not use it on "silk, leather, suede, rubber, faux stainless steel, unpainted drywall, unfinished wood surfaces, and unsealed stone."  Nothing about plastic.  Which would make sense because there are an awful lot of stickers and labels on the plastic things we buy.

@rcarlson1957
    What are "iDisk oleoresins."  Or was that an autocorrect gotcha.
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    All depends on the type of plastic per the Goo Gone site. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I wasn't paying attention. Thought it was Goo Gone but was a spray called Goo Off. Live and learn. Hopefully, keeps anyone else from making the same mistake. I'm going to have to prep and repaint it. 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2020
    I would be {angry} at any dealer that put that big of a advertisement sticker on my TaB, especially if it was added after putting the deposit down.  I would have insisted they remove it.

You might contact the dealer and have them order a replacement part from nuCamp, and see if they will split the cost.
    cheers

Admin edit—replaced inappropriate language for a family friendly forum—Verna
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Major bummer. I’m sure it will look great after prep and paint though, and at least black should be easy to match.

For the future: heat works well to remove most freshly applied decals (and even some older ones). In the summer, you have the world’s easiest heat source, just leave the trailer or vehicle out in the sun for a few hours. The adhesive will soften and the decal will peel fairly quickly with minimal residue. My dealer’s decal wasn’t nearly as obnoxious, but it came right off once the trailer warmed up the morning after I’d brought it home.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I could not find "Goo Off" online, so I presume it was actually "Goof Off," which is acetone based.  It cannot be used on most plastics, but I was surprised that it can be used on vehicle paint (although I would definitely test it on a small area before trying that.)  It also is apparently good for removing tree sap, but again, it all depends on what type of material the sap is on.  Here's a review that compares "Goo Gone" vs "Goof Off."

https://repairart.net/goo-gone-vs-goof-off

• Options
    Yea dealership should be ashamed! I never leave dealerships with new cars with any sort of their advertisement stuck on my vehicle. They should work with you to get that fixed. 
  • Options
    I bought it used if I had bought it new I would've had them take it off. Ended up spray painting it and it looks ok now. I used Goo Gone on a small dealer decal and it worked fine. Wish I would've used it for the part on the back...it wouldn't have had a problem. Live and learn.

More Smiles Per Mile! B)