Options

Victron Components Discussed

This discussion was created from comments split from: Disillusioned.

Comments

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    The Victron app for the solar controller will tell you some things, but installing the Victron 712 battery monitor will allow you to really fine-tune your battery use. I spent a few hours with it in my driveway, turning on each light, the fridge, the radio, the USB ports, the fan at different speeds, the pump, etc. to see which ones had the most and least draw. Surprise to me was that the strip lights (over the sink) had a significantly higher draw than the other lights, especially the overhead LED lights, which were good. The Jensen had a high draw, and the two way fridge causes the voltage to go up and down with its cycling. We had replaced the Fantastic Fan with a Maxxair Deluxe, and I checked the draw on each of the 10 speeds. It wasn't significant until I got to the 7th or 8th speed, which means I don't have to worry about ventilation while boondocking. The Fantastic Fan is a higher draw, and last year was the cause of us running our battery quite low one night. I also was able to determine that even though our bathroom fan doesn't work at all, it's still getting current when the button is pressed. Important info--if I had no way to check that I could have run down the battery without ever knowing why. The Victron 712 also has a nice feature that estimates how much time you have left on your battery charge if you continue to use what you have in use. If the estimate looks lower than what you need, you can start turning things off. It was on the expensive side to buy and have installed (I'm not handy that way), but worth it. 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Deb55 said:
    The Victron app for the solar controller will tell you some things, but installing the Victron 712 battery monitor will allow you to really fine-tune your battery use. I spent a few hours with it in my driveway, turning on each light, the fridge, the radio, the USB ports, the fan at different speeds, the pump, etc. to see which ones had the most and least draw. Surprise to me was that the strip lights (over the sink) had a significantly higher draw than the other lights, especially the overhead LED lights, which were good. The Jensen had a high draw, and the two way fridge causes the voltage to go up and down with its cycling. We had replaced the Fantastic Fan with a Maxxair Deluxe, and I checked the draw on each of the 10 speeds. It wasn't significant until I got to the 7th or 8th speed, which means I don't have to worry about ventilation while boondocking. The Fantastic Fan is a higher draw, and last year was the cause of us running our battery quite low one night. I also was able to determine that even though our bathroom fan doesn't work at all, it's still getting current when the button is pressed. Important info--if I had no way to check that I could have run down the battery without ever knowing why. The Victron 712 also has a nice feature that estimates how much time you have left on your battery charge if you continue to use what you have in use. If the estimate looks lower than what you need, you can start turning things off. It was on the expensive side to buy and have installed (I'm not handy that way), but worth it. 
    The Victron SmartShunt is a nice alternative to the 712. Easier to install and cheaper. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline agreed that the smartshunt is cheaper, but I have a "thing" about being able to have a physical way to check (or listen, or watch) my media. I still like to use my CDs, and DVDs for example!  This way, if I drop my phone in a ravine while taking a picture I can still monitor my battery, lol! 
  • Options
    Deb55 said:
    @Marceline agreed that the smartshunt is cheaper, but I have a "thing" about being able to have a physical way to check (or listen, or watch) my media. I still like to use my CDs, and DVDs for example!  This way, if I drop my phone in a ravine while taking a picture I can still monitor my battery, lol! 
    I totally understand that. I just want people to know there’s another alternative since many of us find the installation process for the 712 a bit daunting. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,683
    @Marceline @Deb55 The Smartshunt is the same as the "original" shunt, but without the separate display.  It does all the same monitoring, but your phone is the primary display.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, but the main difference is the Bluetooth chip is on the Shunt, not in the monitor display, which is shying is called a Smart Shunt.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @Marceline @Deb55 The Smartshunt is the same as the "original" shunt, but without the separate display.  It does all the same monitoring, but your phone is the primary display.
    Not exactly, as @Denny16 points out. Kind of puzzled by your comment, as @Deb55 and I have installed these units.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    The Victron 712 is a smart monitor, with the physical display attached to the shunt. You can use it with the phone app or by looking at the physical monitor, which in my trailer is mounted outside the closet above the bedroom light switch. 
  • Options
    I have the 712.  It installed exactly the same way as this SmartShunt does.  The Smartshunt provides the same info as the Victron App.  The only difference is it does not have the display connected to a data cable, and it is about 80 dollars less.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    I have the 712.  It installed exactly the same way as this SmartShunt does.  The Smartshunt provides the same info as the Victron App.  The only difference is it does not have the display connected to a data cable, and it is about 80 dollars less.

I really don’t understand what your quibble is. I have the SmartShunt. I installed it myself. AFAIK I’m actually the first one who installed one in a T@B because I communicated directly  with Victron in Europe and I got one of the first units shipped to the US. So I understand very well how it’s installed and how it works. @Deb55 prefers the 712 for the physical display and that’s fine too. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The SmartShunt wasn't available in the US when I had my 712 installed. Either should be fine, it all depends on whether you want the display, or not.

I wish I had a dollar for everyone who has installed the 712 since I first installed mine. I think I could retire, early. 😁

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    I understand what both @Marceline and @pthomas745 mean.  The installation of the shunt of the Smartshunt is identical to the installation of the shunt of the 712 - that is the shunt is between the negative battery terminal and the load side of the TaB, not to mention the positive feed from the + battery terminal to the shunt.  They both do the same thing with or without the display.  

@jkjenn - we followed your lead and happy we did😊
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Now...now. Don't make me stop this car!  ;)

Let's get back to helping out @2Jills, shall we. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    And three hours later, I hardly know what I was trying to point out.  I apologize if I sounded...well, you know.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    @pthomas745 lol! I was only trying to point out with my long-winded description of the Victron 712 that it's really useful for fine tuning your battery use! I probably should have left it at that! 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Jenn, your experience with it inspired me to install it! 
    Thanks! I love it.
    Next time we meet, I owe you a buck!

jkjenn said:
    I wish I had a dollar for everyone who has installed the 712 since I first installed mine. I think I could retire, early. 😁

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    Jenn, your experience with it inspired me to install it! 
    Thanks! I love it.
    Next time we meet, I owe you a buck!

jkjenn said:

Hahaha...just kidding  and glad others have found it useful!

I am looking forward to creating a new sheet for thr 320 for power consumption, too. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014