Options

Dealer Inventory

Why are dealer inventories so depleted? Parts and materials or labor?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    6+ weeks of the RV industry factories being shut down due to not being considered essential. Plus, the non-campers have decided to travel by roads rather than by air this summer, and they are buying campers. They figure they will escape the Covid-19 by being outdoors camping. 

It’s also a trickle down effect. The parts industries were closed too, so the parts are in short demand. It amazing how many parts are the same ones used in small campers and also on the very large. 

Evidently the major age group buying campers has steadily decreased and the ones waiting until retirement are buying now instead of waiting. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    RV sales are off of the chart and so are campground reservations. Covid has pulled a few levers, including an attitude of stop putting off today, and the ability to get away from home during Covid, safely.

Distance learning and remote work have probably forever changed our culture and I don't see RV use diminishing any time soon.

The day I picked up my 2021 320, Hadocey (now Mark Wahlberg) had 6 nüCamp products being  delivered, that day.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Even sales here on the forum are crazy fast.  We are seeing TaBs sell within days of posting.  Not only that, but there have never been this many members posting that they are searching for a pre-owned TaB.  Sign of the times.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    It's not just RVs. Anyone try buying a refrigerator lately? I just put a deposit on one that may or may not be delivered at some unspecified time in the future. The local salesman can't get anything--appliances, furniture, no matter the brand. Says he hasn't seen anything like this in forty-four years.
    I wonder if those who aren't buying Covid Campers are remodeling their Covid Kitchens!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Or the part suppliers are still behind due to factory shut downs.  Well @ScottG, if necessary, you at least have the TaB frig.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2020
    Yes, it is a seller’s market right now.  I had some odd and ends I could not sell a year ago, now they are selling within a week or so.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    edited July 2020
    Muttonchops posted this discussion a few days ago

General Interest == Why RV Sales Are Growing == CNBC video

Why RV Sales Are Growing

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, I ordered a 5.0 cu ft chest freezer from Amazon. After 6 weeks, I finally found an actual phone number for Amazon. I called and it was another week before my money was refunded since the vender had missed 3 alleged deliveries. 

I ordered another 5 cu ft freezer from EBay on a Sunday. It was here on the following Friday as promised. And I actually received true updates!

Allegedly, there are appliances made in Asia that are on freighters at US ports, but they haven’t been unloaded. The loophole is that the vendor claims the item was shipped the day following the order, so they got interest on my money for 7 weeks. They are making a lot of interest money, taking advantage of Amazon not being able to keep up with the venders like this. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Totally agree lots of newbies and some have not done their homework ( as  some would have done previously)..lots of frustration ( learning curve involved).
     ..our dealer in Ontario Canada had 23 nuCamp trailers..he has 3 left..luckily he and Jackie realized they needed to get more on order...love when someone calls you to find out your preferred T@b CS-S colour....lol..our dealer is expecting his next delivery mid August...so...assuming our delivery of our T@b has been moved up ahead of our schedule...  😁
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    yes, my last amazon order took a more than a week to delivered, instead of a few days.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    ScottG said:
    It's not just RVs. Anyone try buying a refrigerator lately? I just put a deposit on one that may or may not be delivered at some unspecified time in the future. The local salesman can't get anything--appliances, furniture, no matter the brand. Says he hasn't seen anything like this in forty-four years.
    I wonder if those who aren't buying Covid Campers are remodeling their Covid Kitchens!  ;-)
    It is also appliance parts. Took me 2 months to get a part for my dishwasher. Grrrr. We ended up buying a used dishwasher and living with the ugly loud thing until our part finally came in. Fortunately sold the used one for more than we bought it for.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    yes, I understand all of the market forces. Demand side is high. I was wondering about the supply side. Is it labor is it materials. I think it is materials

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think probably part of it is that no one expected the RV sales market to go.b9nkers amid record.high unemployment, even if those numbers were brief. I know from personal experience that during a normal presidential election year, luxury item sales tend to drop. I doubt dealers did a lot of extra ordering as Covid kicked in, creating the shortage we have now. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Tabnero...from what I heard with regards to NuCamp...when they saw what was happening at the beginning of the pandemic..they started ordering parts so they would have the parts further down the road...smart thinking on their part...for a dealer they could never predict that they would sell this many trailers...I know ours didn't...and luckily they have a great rep that suggested they get some on order asap...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada