Options

Cannot get continuous hot water — resolved by adjusting mixing valve

2Jills2Jills Member Posts: 8
Hi
I have a new 2020 Tab 400 with the Alde 3020.  When I turn on hot water at either sink it takes a while for the water to get warm but then it goes back to cold after only a few seconds. 

Alde shows water temp is 117 degrees and is running off shore power (15 amp connection to house). Bypass is in normal position. All valves are in the correct position. Mixing valve is set to max. Hot water hose feeding into the mixing valve is warm to touch. 

What am I missing?    

Thanks. 
2020 T@b 400, Build Date 10/2019
Norcold 3-Way Refrigerator, Factory Victron Solar
2019 Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    You'll need to actually adjust the mixer valve itself.  Loosen the screw on top of it and slightly lift up the  plastic knob, turn it then reset it onto the brass fitting.  The knob is simply not turning far enough to get consistent hot water flow and needs to be opened more.  There is a thread on this posted but sorry don't have the link to it.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thanks @Bayliss. I found that discussion and made the adjustment. Everything seems fine now. Thanks a bunch. 
    2019 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Also, check your Alade control panel. Is the pump set to continious?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    And is the Alde bypass/cutoff valve in the correct position.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @jkjenn the pump will be off unless you want to heat the cabin by circulation of the glycol. For just hot water there shouldn't be any glycol flowing around through the convectors.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    Question:  if the control panel is set to Thermostat, then cabin heat is temperature dependent.  If set to Continuous, will glycol circulate regardless of temperature?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Question:  if the control panel is set to Thermostat, then cabin heat is temperature dependent.  If set to Continuous, will glycol circulate regardless of temperature?
    I had to change this setting on my T@b to get more than a minute of hot water.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @Sharon_is_SAM, it appears the circulation pump is turned off for space heating (if it was previously set in continuous mode).

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @TNOutback - I saw what you posted from the manual as well.  But, I don’t think the 320 has the floor heating function.  Also, the pump is active for cabin heating.  

I think the mystery is if Continuous is selected, does the pump continue to circulate even if you are not trying to heat the cabin?  If that is true, then the cooled off glycol re-enters the heating chamber and reduces the ability to maintain the water temperature.  IF this is true, I think that may explain @jkjenn’s observation that she had brief hot water when the pump was on Continuous.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited August 2020
    @Sharon_is_SAM I read it to mean that if extra hot water is selected, the pump for cabin heating is stopped for 30 minutes; it is overridden. I’m not sure if a continuous pump mode is even an option, since as you point out, we don’t have floor heating in these units, nor are they connected to an engine for preheating.  I may be reading that wrong, but that’s what I got out of it:  if you want extra hot water, the circulation pump is turned off for 30 minutes, regardless of cabin heat setting.  That would make sense to me, since a continuous pump would indeed rob the boiler of hot water-making capability.
  • Options
    My pump is set to therm. Previously I was only getting a second or two of hot water.  When I changed the mixing valve as described in the link @Bayliss noted then I was able to get continuous hot water.  No other changes were made to what I described in the original post.  And I do not have floor heating.  I have not tried the shower yet so maybe my experience will change.  Hopefully all is good.  
    2019 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Maybe a bit redundant to what has already been posted above, but here are my notes on the subject:

If the Alde pump is set to Continuous ("Cont.") circulation (as opposed to Thermostat ("Therm") driven), you cannot choose the partially shaded icon.  In the Continuous pump mode, you can choose the “Boost” (fully shaded icon), which stops the glycol circulation for 30 minutes and allows the water to get extra hot for showering.  So, if you keep the pump setting in the Therm mode, you can adjust your water temperature to partial shade AND use the Boost.  

“BOOST” MODE:  When you set the shaded area at full, the “central heating” of the cabin is turned off and the glycol pump will stop circulating (thus not heating the camper cabin) for approximately 30 minutes.  This focuses the heating on the water tank so that the water can be super-heated.  After that, the system will revert back to the normal cabin heating/circulation mode.  It is only when you want extra hot water, such as when you want to take a hot shower, that you may want to use the “boost” setting, as indicated by a fully-shaded hot water symbol.  “Boost” can be used on either electric or propane, but the Alde is more efficient when operated on propane.

CENTRAL HEATING PLUS HOT WATER:  If you have the temperature set so that you are heating the cabin, plus have ½ of the shaded icon filled, you will have BOTH cabin heat and hot water at the normal setting (approximately 120-125 degrees.)  Normally, you will leave the shaded symbol half-filled.  However, if you are not in need of hot water, leave the shower water icon empty and the water will only be heated to a “warm” temperature. 

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited August 2020
    2Jills said:
    My pump is set to therm. Previously I was only getting a second or two of hot water.  When I changed the mixing valve as described in the link @Bayliss noted then I was able to get continuous hot water.  No other changes were made to what I described in the original post.  And I do not have floor heating.  I have not tried the shower yet so maybe my experience will change.  Hopefully all is good.  
    @2Jills
    I fixed my hot water supply issues this way as well. 
    Please be careful though, because my hot water is now VERY hot...which is what I wanted so I could mix the relatively small volume of hot water with cold and have plenty of warm water for a shower...but it feels hot enough to scald I think...So please just be super careful to understand just how hot it is. Especially if you're using the hot water "boost" feature.

And to add a small anecdote...I'm currently camping in the Blue Ridge mountains and staying at  a full hookup site. After hiking for 6 hours this morning I just had a wonderful long hot shower - plenty of hot water once you adjust  the mixing valve.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    You also have the Alde Flo aux water heater on your Alde system, which should give you fairly close continuous hot water in conjunction with the Alde heater.  On pre 2020 TaB 400s that do not have the Aux Flo system heater tank, having continuous hot water is more of a challenge, which is where increasing the hot water temp started to help get more hot water.
    cheers
  • Options
    @Bayliss - that's an excellent description of the functionality.  Thanks.
    2019 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    You are welcome.  We have a 2018 TaB400 and are considering adding the aux Flo tank to our system, which requires the newer Alde 3020 heater, which we have.  I did a lot of research into what was required to add the Flo tank.  It ends up being a basic plumbing job, but requires space next to the Alde for the Flo tank, and plumbing the Flo in front of the main Alde unit.

The water source (cold) is connected to the Flow tank, then the hot water output is feed to the former cold water input on the Alde main unit.  The glycol goes from the Main Alde heater to the Flo, than to the floor heaters.  Next you need to add another overflow drain for the Flo tank.

Here is a complete factory install, the Red tank is the Flo aux water tank.: