Options

ALP Propane 1000W Generator

https://alpgenerators.com/

Saw this propane-powered generator advertised on the OverlandExpo site.  (They are offering a $50 discount during the virtual expo, bringing the price to $450.). Looks like a 1000 Watt output, and seems to provide for parallel syncing, though I don’t see a parallel kit on their website.  Assuming it were a reliable unit, it would make for a quiet, clean boondocking generator for charging your battery system or running small appliances.

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    After digging around looking for other 100% propane generators, I did see that Baja, which looks exactly like the Ryobi-branded one.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I have the Ryobi. It’s sufficient to charge the 320 battery, which is all I ask from it.

The ALP looks interesting (and yay, color choices!), but I don’t like that they’re claiming it’s quieter than the competition without providing actual numbers or details on who they’re comparing themselves to. That sort of marketing throws red flags for me—it doesn’t mean the product is necessarily bad or deceptive, but it does mean I’d be digging a whole lot deeper into independent reviews to confirm their claims before buying.

Also annoying that at that price, they don’t include a hose for use with a 20 lb tank.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP it isn’t easy to find, but they claim 52 dB in eco-mode.  No reference to what distance that was measured at though.  Maybe it is quiet, but any generator can be 52 dB if you measure at the right distance!
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for this thread!  About to switch over to full-time life and I'm torn about bringing a Honda 2000 (weight on hitch, smell, carrying gas canister), for days when solar isn't enough. A 320 A/C is only 500-600W during the compression cycle... I'll have to watch a couple dozen YouTube vids to see if anyone is successfully running an A/C off the 800-1000W units.

It sure would be tempting just to use the 12V output of the ALP and wire that directly to the battery bank.  But in the ALP operating manual it says the peak DC current is only 6.3A.  Seems a bit low when the inverter is pulling 50A when running the A/C.  I'll have to see if there's another brand like the Ryobi or Baja that can at least produce as much DC current as the stock converter.  Guess I can just use an AC plugin smart battery charger I always carry anyway to connect to the battery bank and run it in 12A mode, but it seems wasteful to do an extra conversion.  Or is it extra? Not sure how the electrical innards of a gen/inv creates energy... DC first, inverted to AC... or straight to AC somehow.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited August 2020
    TNOutback said:
    @VictoriaP it isn’t easy to find, but they claim 52 dB in eco-mode.  No reference to what distance that was measured at though.  Maybe it is quiet, but any generator can be 52 dB if you measure at the right distance!
    Thanks...I’d definitely feel better about it if they put that info front and center, but at least you found it!

And yes, one does wonder how far away that was. 

@DougH I have a pair of Yamaha 2k gens at home, after a week long power outage in winter one year. They’re great insurance, haven’t had an outage like that since! They’re heavy, bulky, and I didn’t want to carry all that gas traveling (which has to be properly treated and stored or it gums everything up). I’ll never have a gas-only generator again now that I've discovered propane.

All I wanted was a way to charge the trailer battery when solar wasn’t enough. The Ryobi propane genny takes 1 pounders, which I already keep stocked for use in emergencies with my Big Buddy propane heater, or it can be run off a 20 lb tank with the included hose. Weighs just 25 lbs. If I were in the market now, I’d definitely consider going with the ALP, which is a tiny bit more powerful and theoretically quieter.

Whether or not either the Baja/Ryobi or the ALP will run the Danby is questionable, I haven’t tried. The first question in the Q&A on the Home Depot page for the Ryobi shows mixed answers...depends on the draw of the A/C at startup. I’d say measure that first.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-900-Starting-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited August 2020
    @DougH
    Generators produce AC current directly via the motor turning an alternator - but inverter generators rectify the AC to DC, then invert it back to clean, unvarying AC current.

Here's a decent layman's explanation - but I'm sure there are many others as well:
    https://www.norwall.com/power-expert/generators-and-inverters-whats-the-difference/

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @TNOutback, Here is another option...

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/champion-2000w-dual-fuel-inverter-generator

It is dual fuel, 2000W on gas, 1600W on propane, rated @ 53DB, comes with a propane hose and can be linked in parallel (should you want to go all out on electricity in your 400).

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/champion-power-equipment-30-amp-paralink-parallel-kit?rrec=true

We have the gas version. It has worked well, when needed. The weight isn't too bad at about 47LBS.

This may or may not meet your needs...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The Honda 2200i has LPG conversion kits available for it also, one allows either gas or propane, the other is a propane only conversion.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I store gas in vapor-proof metal gas storage containers, which do not leak vapors or smells, very safe.  Also I use Avgas in generators that are not used often, it has a better storage life than auto gas, which does not have a good longish storage life, and can mess up small engines if left in them long term.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @VictoriaP ; I'm sold, and have the same use-case as you. Having a diesel vehicle, I was loathe to carry gasoline just for emergency gen use... especially since I usually have a spare 20lb propane tank on the tongue.

@ChrisFix ; Sound like from your post and the article's details, they ought to be able to produce a lot more DC current.  But maybe some brands can.  Or maybe the DC coming out of the rectifier is too choppy with the same motor frequency noise in it, and is considered unsuitable for DC outlet use... so a separate module produces a cleaner DC output but at only 100 available watts instead of 1000.  Thanks for the explanation.

I did find a 9000W wind turbine system on AliExpress for only $150.  Sure, that's been a failed experiment for every RVer who has ever tried one in typical 3-5mph wind conditions... but they couldn't advertise it at 9000W if it wasn't true.

And most of the gas or propane generators are measuring decibels at 20 feet instead of 1 meter.  Pointless, except as a comparison between models all tested at 3/4 load.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I just found this one interesting because it was 100% propane; not a dual fuel unit.  Not having to maintain a gas tank and plumbing for the second fuel source  it makes the ALP more compact and lighter.  It can run the 1lb tanks or connect to a larger tank. I like the fact it is designed such you can stack on it, and the handle is reinforced so that it can be locked through the handle.  No gasoline fumes ever. 
  • Options
    @TNOutback ; Agree. I'll sell my Honda 2000 regardless. ALP seems slightly overpriced, and I only see them at Camping World so far.  Leaning towards the Ryobi since its $200 less and 10lbs less. If Camping World sold the ALPs for under $400 that'd be different.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2020
    @DougH, not happy with your Honda? I thought they were the gold standard for reliability and dB levels.

Is the Ryobi as quiet as the Honda? 
    Edit: ah, now I see your previous post re trying to reduce your fuel containers.... Propane's tidier too.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Is it possible to run two generators in parallel that are different brands? Say a Yamaha 1600 with an Alp 1000w?

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @xdr in theory, yes, you can.  If they are both inverter generators that are parallel capable, it requires phase matching and syncing between the units, and probably would be helpful if your best friend was an electrical engineer.  If the two are not synchronized, then you risk damaging your connected appliances.  Much better/easier if they are the same brand, then you are just connecting them with the paralleling kit.
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Are there any propane options that would allow someone to run the Air8 in the 2020 T@B 320?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Kr@cken yes. I have a Honda 2200i with a Genconnex propane conversion. Starts and runs the CoolCat in my 2019 400. Air8 should work too, slightly less power required to run that. Is it inexpensive, no, about $1500.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Also tested Genconnex propane conversion Honda eu2200i with regular Air8 (awaiting call for "upgrade"). Came right on with no hiccups. Is indeed quiet and runs like a Swiss watch. Can "one arm" it.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Thank you!
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Here is a Hobotech review of the ALP. As usual, he is pretty thorough. I have the Champion Dual Fuel which is big and heavy. I thought we would be running our AC but it was not a something we needed to do. We just need to charge the battery when there is no sun or hookups.
    28 lbs is very enticing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSK_lEqHGr8&t=1357s
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Thanks!  Watched the video. Change the oil every 50 hours?!  I always thought it was 5 years, and only if it looks dirty. And 80-85dB at 1m (louder than a Honda) is unfortunate. Claimed 53dB at 20ft. Guess you could always carry an easy to assemble quiet box to put the thing into.

Still, a quality efficient generator for those in need. Video shows it could run a 550W A/C for 20h (with A/C compressor always running) off a typical tank. Maybe a week of more typical air conditioning with two 20lb tanks. Video also shows perfect sine wave regulated 14.1v output for using to charge a battery bank if solar isn't available.

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @DougH On the plus side of the hose issue, my Champion dual fuel needs a giant pressure regulator and hose which is another thing to store.  :s  Apparently, the regulator is built in to the ALP.

Hobotech's sound test was done with the meter closer to the unit (3' away) than others I have seen. The LOLOHO guy does it from 25' in his reviews and says it is an industry standard?

I usually won't be 3' feet away from the generator when its running, and if my camping neighbor is that close, we will be having a different discussion. LOL
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    @JeffroNC Never thought of that. Generators can be great for enforcing social distancing!  :)

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    Unfortunately, it appears the Ryobi is discontinued.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    dsfdogs said:
    Unfortunately, it appears the Ryobi is discontinued.
    It is, but the seemingly identical twin Baja generator appears to still be sold at Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Baja-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-BAI911LP/306283803?MERCH=REC-_-pipinstock-_-302703564-_-306283803-_-N& For occasional use, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick it up.

Haven’t watched the ALP video yet, and that decibel measurement REALLY needs to be retaken at the correct distance (and after engine break in, if that wasn’t already done.) 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    SarahSimmSarahSimm Member Posts: 1
    What can you say about this one? https://generatorpick.com/best-quiet-generator/#product2
    The review says it's durable, but I'd like to hear some real user experience 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2022
    Sticking with a 1000W or less category, after some initial hiccups, the Baja (Ryovi clone) so far is working out well for us.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler