Keder Rail Question

Orc_HerderOrc_Herder Member Posts: 9
edited February 2021 in Trailer & Towing
Recently purchased a 2020 Tab 320 Boondock trailer. When I purchased it, I noticed three (3) spots where the keder rails were bent. I was told by 2 different people at the dealership that they needed repair. Now, 2 months later, the service department is telling me that they are "as built".  I haven't seen another Tab320 but I noticed the new TAB 400 DID NOT have the bends.  Would someone confirm/deny this is the way they were designed?

2013 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon***Amateur Numismatist***Yoga Disciple***Navy Vet*** Burning man!

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The “bends” appear to be where you would start inserting your visor, awning or tent into the Keder rail. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Orc_HerderOrc_Herder Member Posts: 9
    So the are intentional? Why would the not be on all TABs? Just curious.
    2013 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon***Amateur Numismatist***Yoga Disciple***Navy Vet*** Burning man!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I don’t have a T@B here to show you mine. If you look at your Keder rail, these places are the only places you can start inserting the rope of the visor, etc. Look at the railing closely—are there any other spots the rope could be inserted at?  

On my former 400, I could insert my visor from either the front or back of the Keder rail, as there was an opening at both places. 

If you truly think they are bent, this is an issue you need to take up with your dealer. We can only advise, not actually fix what your service department claimed is defective. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    These are intentional, and meant exactly for what Verna described.  These wide spots are on all 400’s and I’m guessing if you knew to look for them you’d find them on all T@Bs with Keder rails as well.  I use these wider openings to attach the ends of my awning anchor ropes. I slide the attachment end into one of these openings, then around to the spot in the rail where it holds the awning the best.  Wish I had a picture to show it, but anyone with a Pahaque  (spelling?) visor knows what I’m talking about.  
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Orc_Herder - remove the black vinyl insert to use the keder rail.  Most of us just discard it.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2020
    Found a photo... not the best, but maybe you can see what I meant.  Insert the black tab at the end of my anchor rope into the spot where its ‘wider’ and then slide it over to the other side of the door to at least where you see it in the picture, but usually even farther up the side and away from the door.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    We have a 2020 T@B 320 Boondock and ours has the wide spots also. Dealer told us it entry spots for Keder rail.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
    Apparently the dealership I've been dealing with does not not know their products. Their service department is worthless. I finally get a definitive answer 3 months after purchase. Thank you everyone who posted.

If you truly think they are bent, this is an issue you need to take up with your dealer. We can only advise, not actually fix what your service department claimed is defective. 
    After some research, the service department I've been dealing with has lots of issues. Looking for another shop to help in the future.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Dealers frequently sell many different models and often have the least information for those brands that they sell infrequently.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    I actually wish there were more rail rope insert openings.  Got them on the entry door side but not the bathroom side... when using propane for the refrigerator I prefer putting awning on bathroom side and it is really hard to do.
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited August 2020
    I actually wish there were more rail rope insert openings.  Got them on the entry door side but not the bathroom side... when using propane for the refrigerator I prefer putting awning on bathroom side and it is really hard to do.
     This is a non issue for the 2021 models since there is no more vent.

Also, the keder rail on the 2021 is smooth like butter! No more screw heads for the rope to catch on.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    On my 2017 there are the Keder Gaps on the passenger side.  There were no Gaps on the driver's side.   It was very easy to "carefully" spread them slightly with a pair of wide face pliers.  I can use the Keder rail on both sides of the camper.  So, @Orc_Herder , check your driver's side rail to see if they have the Gaps. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    I have the on BOTH sides.
  • runlinerunline Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2021
    I'm so glad I found this post. I just took delivery of my 2021 TAB 400 and noticed bends in my Keder rail about 4 inches apart towards the front passenger side and thought it was damaged. I just messaged the warranty department about this asking if it is normal or damaged prior to seeing this post. Glad to hear it's as it was intended from the factory. 
    SF Bay Area, CA, 2021 T@B 400 BD