Options

Total newbie, looking at purchasing a 2006-2008 T@B

OchkyOchky Member Posts: 3
Total newbie over here, with absolutely zero towing or RVing experience.  Love to camp, but realizing that we'd probably like something more than a tent for our 3-person family (plus dog), and the older T@Bs seem to fit the profile - I don't want plumbing in a trailer, so the older Dutchmen T@Bs seem to be exactly what we're looking for (queen-ish size bed, no plumbing, relatively light weight). We'll be towing with a 2018 Outback 3.6 for the time being, although likely upgrading that to something like a 4Runner at some point sooner rather than later.  In the meantime, i plan on looking at a couple potential trailers from private sellers in the next few weeks.  I've read through a lot of the forum, and there's a ton of great information which has been exceptionally valuable already.  Having said that, hoping there are some owners of older DM Tabs here who can point out a few things I should make sure to look for, consider, be aware of, etc while looking at prospective trailers to purchase.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited August 2020
    Since you have no experience at all with RVs, I strongly recommend having any trailer you’re serious about examined by a professional. If that isn’t possible, a friend or relative with experience in restoring old RVs, or dealing with vintage propane appliances and 12v electrical systems is recommended. It’s way too easy to bring home a trailer you fell in love with only to find you have a total rebuild on your hands. Been there, done that (twice, never again!)

The floors on old Tabs are very prone to rot, and replacement is a $4k+ job. So first and foremost, you need to be willing to poke all the corners and crevices, crawl underneath and poke from the underside. Have the owner demonstrate the operation of every appliance, plus the lights both inside and out. Check the date on the tires, anything older than 4 years may be dry rotted and should be replaced before you try and move the trailer.

If you’re going to use the Subaru at all, you have just a 200 lb tongue weight limit. You absolutely cannot plan on adding things like extra batteries or bike racks or generators to the tongue of the trailer. A Dutchman Tab at least starts out much lighter than a nuCamp one, but still, adding extras to the front of the trailer adds up fast.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    I think if I was going to buy an old trailer I would look for one that lived in Arizona hoping there was less risk of floor rot in a state that is drier.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    johnrjohnr Member Posts: 3
    We bought an '08 DM last year. What I wish I had looked at was the age of the tires (they were originals) and the condition of the clearcoat (in the light at the seller's it looked fine but at home it was obviously a $3k repair), so the Utah sun was not a good thing for the paint. We don't have dry rot but do have a hole near the wheel well which allows dust into that cabinet. The exterior trim has cracks, which can be repaired and appears to be a common problem with all T@Bs, but can be a real hassle. We also had to replace the LP tub because the small cracks I saw when we bought it ended up being where it fell apart on our first long distance trip (held it on with bungees).

One final point, if you do get an older T@b, be sure to bungee up the jockey wheel. Ours released on our maiden voyage, which destroyed the wheel.

I hope this helps you. These older T@bs are pretty good. Ours has taken to Wisconsin, and multiple trips in Colorado and Utah.
    2008 T@B, 2001 Toyota Sequoia, Sandy, Utah
    John & Laura
  • Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    We have a 2007 DM. I was a complete novice when we bought it and we are really lucky it is in great shape.  With my new experience I would be very careful about checking it out especially the floor. Having said all that, we love our older T@B, much simpler to use and lighter as well. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    One should remove the Jason a side note, one should remove the front Jockey wheel whilst traveling...  ;)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    @Denny16 - the older TaBs had a swing up jack that allowed the wheel to stay attached.  But, it needed to be secured to the frame for travel.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, I was wondering about that...  I have use a Velcro safety strap on my boat trailers with swing up jacks, works better than a bungee, which can come loose.
    cheers
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    @Denny16 - the older TaBs had a swing up jack that allowed the wheel to stay attached.  But, it needed to be secured to the frame for travel.
    It is not exactly swing up, it is a 2-stage "lift" up. But it DOES stay on the trailer, and yes securing it up during travel is wise.

I have a 2007, bought new. As everyone else has said, check the floor very carefully. Ask if the owner has replaced the bearings, converter, and find the date code on the tires. Also check the ceiling for sags. Some of the older units have started to have ceiling sag, which is the overhead struts weakening. The converter, wheel bearings, brakes, and tires are simple fixes and maintenance items.

Another major system issue could be the CoolCat. It is a heat pump with a non-serviceable "reverse sensing unit". If it gets stuck on heat, and isn't fixed by replacing the thermostat, then the unit is bad.

If for some reason the gas is not flowing, then try and replace the pigtail between the propane tank and the regulator.

Another minor thing that can have problems on the older T@Bs is the "clack arms" on the windows. If you want to camp with open windows, check those to see if they "stay up"

If it is a clamshell unit, check to see if the hinge has some type of cover over it. They did not come that way originally. A 6" EPDM rubber strip with standard RV trim above and below will do the trick.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I would replace any RV/trailer tire after 3-4 years of use, regardless of mileage, they go bad just sitting.
    cheers
  • Options
    OchkyOchky Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. 
    We found a 2007 that we really like and will likely be buying (about $8k). 
    From everything I could tell, it’s in great shape. The floor did not have any obvious issues, and I poked around quite a bit both inside and underneath. The systems worked properly as well. Prior owners appear to have kept it in very good shape, with a cover. Perhaps being based in Southern California helps with reducing potential flooring issues? 
    The seller appears to be quite knowledgeable about the trailer and components in general, so I certainly felt comfortable as he walked through it all. 
    He moved the spare tire to the front which I think is a good idea. 
    It still had original tires so that’s the first thing I’ll be replacing. 
    Overall it seems the trailer was kept in very good shape and there was certainly no apparent cosmetic or component issue (one crack on the outside plastic trim, which we’ll likely epoxy or fill in). 
    We’ll re-check all the systems etc before we close the deal of course!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Ochky, glad to hear all is going well. Wishing continued good luck in this endeavor!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Awesome!!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL