Options

2021 320 air 8 relocation of sensor

Hey gang, I recieved the kit from air8 to reposition the sensor, well when I say kit, it's a wire and a plug. Has anyone with a 2021 320 done this, coments? Does it work? Etc etc
Please only 2021 320 owners reply....
2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017

Comments

• Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2020
    I was unaware of there being an issue with Air8 performance in the 2021 320s, so I’m interested in any feedback too...

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • Options
    GC3GC3 Member Posts: 20
    Let us know how it works, with pics 
  • Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    I'm waiting to hear from someone who did it first, they want the sensor relocated to bottom half of the bed
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Addison...when you say the bottom half of the bed...where abouts..any specific area that NuCamp suggested?
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Addison said:
    I'm waiting to hear from someone who did it first, they want the sensor relocated to bottom half of the bed
    Won't that put it right in the direct path of that lower vent? Is that the desired effect?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    I know right? I'm waiting to hear from someone else that did it and where they put it, I'm thinking at the end opposite the fridge away from the vent there? 
  • Options
    CharlieBCharlieB Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any information about this? I got the sensor kit with the wire and the plug too, but have no idea how to install it. I have a 2021 320-S Boondock. Any instructions or pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    2021 T@B 320-S Boondock | 2019 4Runner | Knoxville, TN
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    Hi,  I did not install it, as my '21 came with it already installed from the factory.  But here is a picture of the location (below the speaker) of the sensor on my '21 320BD.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @CharlieB - If returning to your dealer is not an option, I would contact nuCamp and ask for instructions.  Help@nuCamprv.com
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Alt_TabAlt_Tab Member Posts: 12
    I have installed it and have a word of warning - the instructions stating "just unplug the wires" from the white wiring harness are grossly over simplified and I have contacted NuCamp to tell them as much but they were NOT receptive and said that no one has had an issue. A posting by my wife asking for feedback has yielded opinions to the contrary with non in agreement with NuCamp at the time of this posting.

Drilling the hole in the required location and running the wires was relatively simple - providing you happen to have the required size drill bit which is quite large.

The wires do not unplug from the white harness and the best description I can think of is that they are barbed and not meant to come out unless you have a special tool. Pulling on the wires to "unplug" them resulted in the wires breaking off and the metal leads or barbs staying within the white plug. I had to ever so slightly cut the base of them to get them out after the wires broke. Once I plugged the new leads in they would not stay firmly in place so I used electrical tape to secure it and placed the white connector back on the circuit board. So far it has held and the sensor has given a temperature reading. 

I have requested 4 metal leads and the white connector in case it fails but NuCamp says they need to get it from Elwell and I haven't received them to date.

If I were going to do it again I would just cut the wire, splice them, and shrink wrap them without removing them from the white harness.

Just a heads up if you are going to do it yourself.

I will add that the sensor seems to be mostly inside the cabinet than in the open air and seems to read a bit high as I think it is reading residual heat from the cabinet.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
    Presently, where is the sensor located pre this mod?

2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Pre mod it is located in the inlet of the Air8, well insulated from the ambient air unless the reprogramming has been done to help keep ambient air moving across the sensor.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Is this sensor sent from Elwell or NuCamp?
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    ElWell sent me the one for our 2020 400 BDL.

First, you need to determine if the sensor has been moved outside of the intake plenum on 2021. This is what mine looked like after I installed it in the 400 BDL. It is the black mushroom above the thermostat for the Air8, look for this in your camper to determine if it is already installed in the cabinet area near the speaker. 

Brad

2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2021 320CSS BD that the AC was working great on, and then one day it just stopped blowing cold air.  The compressor and fans and everything were running but the air never cooled down below a few degrees.  I dropped it of at our dealer a week and a half ago, and am being told that NuCamp says it's a bad thermocouple.  They said they are waiting on NuCamp to send a replacement.  I suspect that it's actually a replacement thermistor (what people are calling the black mushroom) like the one's the T@b 400 owners have gotten or the newer 2021 320s are coming with, where it has the longer wires so it can be placed outside of the under bed area, away from the intake on the Air8. 

In our case I think the Air8 is probably an OK size for the T@b 320, because it was cooling the trailer down 20 plus degrees from the outside temperature when it would get up into the mid 90s and the problem was that the original thermistor stopped working correctly or failed somehow.  We have reservations to camp for a week at the Outer Banks starting this weekend and now I am very concerned that the dealer won't have received the new thermistor and installed it before this weekend.  I'm not sure we will even try to take our planned vacation if the issue is not resolved in time.  I don't think it will be bearable to stay in the trailer at the beach without AC.  We bought the T@b new the first week of May 2021 and have used it 4 or 5 times on weekend camping in the area this summer, so it's very disappointing that the AC has failed already.  If the new part does not correct the issue it will be my inclination to sell the camper, which is a shame because we really like the T@b 320 overall, but having good heating and air is a must for us.
    Jonathan + Heather
    2021 T@b CSS Boondock
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Bedford, VA
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I just saw the above post on the factory putting the "mushroom" by the speaker on the 2021 320S. I've been procrastinating as mine has it internal to the AC and I've not wanted to run it over to the bath and up the wall to locate it by the thermostat. This location would be MUCH easier and should be almost as good as the bath location. Any comments from people with it moved (other than moving it away from the AC inlet is better....)
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    I asked NuCamp what the current procedure was for the placement of the Air 8 sensor...they sent me the attached....a little unclear about the wiring from the new location to the AC unit though.
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    CharlieBCharlieB Member Posts: 7
    Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions about this. It's interesting that some the newer Tabs have the sensor located outside the air intake. That makes a lot more sense. But unfortunately that's not the case with ours. It's not visible in any of the places that have been suggested - or anywhere else that I can see.

I agree with @MarkAl that it seems easiest to put the sensor by the speaker - and I really appreciate @CanadianTabber for including the instructions from NuCamp. I have contacted them as well and will let you all know if I get the same thing or something different.

I'm still not completely convinced that I want to do this myself - especially in light of the post from @Alt_Tab about how difficult it was. So I may take @Sharon_is_SAM's advice and ask our dealer to do it. For me at least, that may be best :-). I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again to all of you. The Tab is a great trailer, and Tab owners are a wonderful community!
    2021 T@B 320-S Boondock | 2019 4Runner | Knoxville, TN
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @CanadianTabber, thanks for attaching the Air8 coupler pdf file you received from Nucamp, it was a lifesaver for detailing how to install the a/c sensor I received from  Nucamp. Without it I would have had no idea where to start. Using the pdf file as my guide, it was a 10 minute job from start to finish (unplugging old wires and installing new plug in). I am still deciding where I want to permanently install the mushroom sensor. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 51
    I thought it made sense to place the thermocouple near the digital read out in our 2021 TAB S.  Plenty of wire which easily feeds through existing openings. Easy to remove TV, TV bracket and wall casing then feed wire through ½" hole drilled under thermostat.  Only last photo would copy upright for some reason.

2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    To assist folks concerned by @Alt_Tab difficultly removing the old sensor wires from the Air8 Connector Block here is an overview of how the Connector Locking Arm works.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Mobean - photos taken in landscape mode will post without flipping.  Turn your phone sideways.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio