2021 T@B 320 S bed size

rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
Does anyone own a 2021 T@B 320 S who can provide the actual bed width wheel-to-wheel? My wife and I are 5'11 and 6'2". Sleeping front-to-back doesn't seem feasible without a manual extension of some kind and the cabinet at the back seems like it would be awfully close to our faces. We hoped maybe there was more room  if we were to sleep side-to-side? A T@B 400 is possible for us and we would get a bigger sleeping area but we think we could travel further with the lighter weight 320 S.
2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    I'm 5"9 and we sleep wheel to wheel. When I stretch an inch I can easily touch the walls of the camper with my head and toes...at the same time. We love the camper, but I wouldn't want to cram myself into it if I were any taller! Check out Casita. They make an Independence and Liberty model that have very big beds in a light weight, quality unit. If our TV were a tad more robust, I'd go for something bigger than the TAB, as wonderful as it is. Good luck. 
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    The bed size is 70”x71”. At 5’6”, with a tiny travel pillow, I still find my feet against the wall more often than not. I cannot sleep with my head under the cabinets as I quickly get claustrophobic, I’ve tried. Unless you tend to sleep curled up, suggest you look at a bigger trailer.

Likewise, everyone who has been in my trailer and is 5’9” or taller has commented on how quickly it gets old ducking so they don’t hit the ceiling. Yes, we have taller folks who have the 320 and rave about it, but I’m finding that the majority prefer to be able to stand upright when getting dressed, using the bathroom, or cooking.

If you haven’t spent at least an hour together inside a 320, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you do so before seriously considering one. Act out everything you would normally do in there, and see how well it would function for you. Think about what it would feel like to be in there during bad weather. The 320 requires compromises that the 400 does not, not just for taller people, but for couples, people with medium or large dogs, and in terms of things like storage. It’s a well designed little trailer, but the emphasis is on little. There are valid reasons why it has a high turnover in ownership in the first year or two.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    My wife and I are 5’8” and 5’3” and wheel to wheel sleeping just barely worked for us. Heads under the cabinet is a non starter, but then we just reversed it and put our feet under the cabinet and it’s perfect! We are extremely happy with our sleeping situation now. 

BUT! If I were even an inch or two taller I would be selling this camper...
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    VictoriaP said:
    The bed size is 70”x71”. At 5’6”, with a tiny travel pillow, I still find my feet against the wall more often than not. I cannot sleep with my head under the cabinets as I quickly get claustrophobic, I’ve tried. Unless you tend to sleep curled up, suggest you look at a bigger trailer.
    I turn slightly diagonal and put my feet under the cabinet. I am 5' 8".This gives Rocky room to snuggle between me and the back shelf. 🐶

The larger, rear cabinets come down, further, on the 2021 models and you really cannot put your head underneath, especially if using some type of foam or Thermrest. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• GC3GC3 Member Posts: 20
    This is all good feedback. Puts me back on the fence at 6' tall, and not being able to actually physically check one out. And dealers asking for nonrefundable deposits. 

I've been thinking the extra space just compared to a Tag-sized trailer would be enough. But I'm more accustomed to living full-time in a van.
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    At about 6'1", I sleep at a diagonal, front to back, in our 320 (2019).

@jkjenn has better 'intel' since she owns a 2021 (same bed size, different rear cabinets).

Be aware that the only time either of you will stand fully erect is outside @rhyno . My 5'3" spouse doesn't seem to have any height issues inside the 320 though...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
    jkjenn said:
    VictoriaP said:
    I turn slightly diagonal and put my feet under the cabinet. I am 5' 8".This gives Rocky room to snuggle between me and the back shelf. 🐶

The larger, rear cabinets come down, further, on the 2021 models and you really cannot put your head underneath, especially if using some type of foam or Thermrest. 
    The bit about the cabinets is good to know. I always thought that the previous layout was kind of questionable design-wise, plus the cabinets must be a bit bigger now, which is a plus.

GC3 said:
    This is all good feedback. Puts me back on the fence at 6' tall, and not being able to actually physically check one out. And dealers asking for nonrefundable deposits. 

I've been thinking the extra space just compared to a Tag-sized trailer would be enough. But I'm more accustomed to living full-time in a van.
    Just one person’s opinion: at 5’6”, I would not have bought a 320 if I were any taller. Even at my height & traveling solo, there are just enough inconveniences to make it mildly irritating at times. If my late husband were still around, a 400 is the smallest trailer I would have considered. At 5’10”, he would not have been happy with having to duck constantly.

Because everyone is different and has different perspectives on camping, I cannot urge people strongly enough to find a way to see one of these units in person before dropping a pretty large wad of cash on one. They are terrific little trailers, but they’re aimed at a niche market and appealing as they are, they are not suited for everyone. What bugs me may not bother you at all, and vice versa. 

Given the dealer situation right now, if you’re seriously considering one, I’d suggest posting a thread with your general location and asking if any owners local to you would be willing to let you see their trailer (with masks and distancing as appropriate, of course). Even seeing an older unit will at least allow you to determine whether the ceiling height and bed length would work for you.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    I’m 6’2” and we have a 320-CS and our bed is 70x58. I just completed my version of the tall guy mod. Details are here. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11646/bed-extension-for-t-b-320-cs#latest

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    I'm 6'0'' and tried laying down front to back. With my head under the rear cabinets and almost at the edge of the cushion, I could certainly feel the edge of the cushion with my heel in the front. If we considered a mattress pad and a pillow, there's no way my pillow & head would fit underneat the cabinets comfortably.

Luckily, @mrdeepfryguy has come up with an extension mod and will certainly be doing the same to get about another 12" of space.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11434/2021-320s-mod-stool-with-bed-extension

2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
    JabGopher said:
    I'm 6'0'' and tried laying down front to back. With my head under the rear cabinets and almost at the edge of the cushion, I could certainly feel the edge of the cushion with my heel in the front. If we considered a mattress pad and a pillow, there's no way my pillow & head would fit underneat the cabinets comfortably.

Luckily, @mrdeepfryguy has come up with an extension mod and will certainly be doing the same to get about another 12" of space.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11434/2021-320s-mod-stool-with-bed-extension

The problem I have with extensions is that they usually block the door. From a safety aspect, blocking your main exit in an RV is always a bad idea. In an emergency at night, having to get this out of your way to get outside could be an issue.

Now, how often will it be an problem? It probably won’t, which is why people do it. But still, this is the kind of thing I think indicates the 320 isn’t the best choice for everyone.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    Very true @VictoriaP. I will do it with the foldable brackets as @Verna mentions in that thread.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500