Options

Norcold 3163 not working on propane, 2017 Tab Outback

My Norcold is not working on propane.  When I turn on the Propane switch it makes the sparking noise but no green light comes on, I have had it be a little difficult before but have always got it to work.  I went through the troubleshooting tree from Norcold under no spark at burner and everything checks out until I get to the very end where the relighter sparks with a jumper but it then says to adjust electrode or replace electrode assembly.  My question is, do I have to remove the fridge to get to the burner box and check the electrode?  If so does anyone have a recommendation on the  best way to proceed with that.  I did find that my thermocouple nut was a little loose, tightened it but no luck, also the 1 amp fuse holder was a little loose so it would lose ground and when that happens the green light comes on.  Also while I am at the burner box what else should I replace or clean while I have the fridge out.  When the fridge is burning can you actually see the flame through that little round port. Also if someone thinks I have missed something I welcome your input. Thanks much.
2017 Outback, TV is now a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    The trailer needs to be level before the refrig propane burner will Lite.  Check the thermostat, to see it is working.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TCretroTCretro Member Posts: 33
    Yes I have the trailer level, and the thermostat works on the 110V, but on propane the thermostat is not involved in starting, unless I am missing something.  The thermostat dial has a start setting on it. Thanks for reply.  Actually I usually would run the fridge on propane because I would camp off grid.
  • Options
    Denny16's comment about the thermostat working, I have it set on the start setting but is there a way to actually check and see it that setting is working.  I do not see anything about checking that in the troubleshooting tree.  Ummm.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @TCretro - (Sorry if you have already done this.). Did you open your LPG tank slowly and confirmed propane flowing by lighting the stove?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Also is the gas flame thermocouples working?  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,457
    All good advise and worth trying first, but it sounds like you have already troubleshot the issue and need access to the electrode. I do believe with those previous models that had the guts in the back you have to pull the fridge to get to them.

I'm also pretty sure this has been discussed in the distant past. I can't point you to an exact thread but if you search around you should be able to find more info. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    All good advise and worth trying first, but it sounds like you have already troubleshot the issue and need access to the electrode. I do believe with those previous models that had the guts in the back you have to pull the fridge to get to them.

I'm also pretty sure this has been discussed in the distant past. I can't point you to an exact thread but if you search around you should be able to find more info. 
    ScottG, Thanks, you are correct, I have tried the troubleshooting thread extensively and have used the fridge on propane most of the time.  I have not found anything yet on the recommended way to remove fridge but I will probably start on it today. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Update to my fridge not working on Propane.  I ended up removing fridge to access the burner box, burner, sparker and thermocouple.  I knew ahead of time my sparker was working but not sure of what was going on in the burner box.  I will post a detailed report later but just wanted to post that the problem was water, dirt and rust in the burner box.  Probably a 1/2 ounce water came out of burner box.  I set up fridge just outside the door of tab so I could connect wiring and gas line and test everything out in open.  Spark was very weak and no gas was coming into burner.  I cleaned and blew out dirt and immediately the spark got better but still no gas.  I took out burner and soaked in alcohol for a couple hours and blew it out with compressed air.  Put it back on and everything fired back up.  Now I am cleaning up burner box and all related items.  Will post pics and detailed report when i am done.  I would have to say that I am very disapointed that they take one of the most high maintenance items in trailer and put it where you cannot access it.  My background is custom lighting and repair and restoration of vintage lighting and motorcycle restoration.  This would not be a fun job to do in the driveway for someone that is doing it in driveway with limited tools.  I was able to put in my shop and I take time to do things that are new to me and then want to know how I can correct the problem to keep it from happening again.  Nowdays I don't have a lot of faith in dealers to do repairs as completely as I would, mostly because of past expierences. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,457
    Thanks for the followup, @TCretro. Given it's highly compact nature, there's a lot of stuff in the T@B that is hard to get to. (I had to cut a hole in the wall behind my toilet to fix a small leak in the cavity back there.)

I think the fridge issue has been at least partly remedied in newer models where the fridge guts can be accessed though the vents in the sidewall. Can somebody with the newer model fridge confirm this?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Thanks for the followup, @TCretro. Given it's highly compact nature, there's a lot of stuff in the T@B that is hard to get to. (I had to cut a hole in the wall behind my toilet to fix a small leak in the cavity back there.)

I think the fridge issue has been at least partly remedied in newer models where the fridge guts can be accessed though the vents in the sidewall. Can somebody with the newer model fridge confirm this?
    ScottG, Yea I hope there is an access on newer models. I really like the tab but this year I have only used it 3 times.  I was really surprised to find that much water in the burner box, am wondering if it comes from the vents on the front either traveling in rain or washing the trailer.  I find that the forum is full of issues with the propane side of the fridge.  When I get this completed I am hoping to sell the unit to upgrade to a toy hauler so I can take motorcycles and other toys with me.