Options

Battery Monitor Recommendations (TaB 320-CS-S Boondock). Advice please.

I am purchasing a 2021 320 CS-S Boondock and want to install a battery monitor.  I was planning on having the AiLi Battery Monitor installed but based upon some "research" on the web I am now looking into a Victron BMV-700 or something similar.  I want something fairly easy to use but also has the features that will help me with wise battery usage (BattleBorn Lithium 100 Ah).  
Is there an advantage of having a Victron battery monitor since my solar unit is a Victron Controller?  I am often out of cell range when boondocking so a bluetooth feature is less attractive.  I am a fairly low-tech guy but want to make wise use of my battery and solar.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.   THANKS

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The advantage to the Victron 712 smart battery monitor is that you can access the display on your smart phone using Bluetooth WITHOUT cell service.  Use the app Victron Connect and you can view both your battery state of charge and your Victron Solar charge controller information.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    edited August 2020
    The two Victron units can also talk to each other over Bluetooth (VE.Smart networking) and charge better because of it. Definitely recommend using Victron BMV if you already have Victron solar. 

Will also share battery temperature if you have that sensor installed (I do not right now)
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    The Victron SmartShunt is super easy to install and it’s cheaper than the 712. Bluetooth comms don’t require cell service - the devices communicate with each other directly. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    jeff57jeff57 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the clarification of Bluetooth comms not requiring cell service.

I will look closer into the Victron 712 and the Victron Smart Shunt.  I like the idea of having both a wall mounted monitor and ability to use my I-Phone to monitor the battery.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    we installed the V712 for the same reason, networks with the MPPT, has the display and IOS app option,  it just works.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @jefffoss FYI the BMV-712 comes with the SmartShunt (and the display) so that is what you’re looking for. Also fwiw a couple weeks ago 712 is all I could find out there, the smartshunt unit only was on backorder everywhere 
  • Options
    Their is a difference between the Smart Shunt and the BMV-712.  The 712 has a regular shunt, not a Smart Shunt, the difference being thr Smar Shunt has the Bluetooth and control chip in/on the shunt, while on the 712, the Bluetooth and controller are mounted in the display unit.
    cheers
  • Options
    digitaldeandigitaldean Member Posts: 16
    I have the mppt smart controller and 712 with temp sensor. I didn't mount the display inside due to the hassle, and Victron themselves say it's not necessary with the bluetooth. I just left the 712 display in my front box next to the battery, and read from my phone. Works perfect.

Adventure Canadian Style

2018 Tab320s Boondock Edition, 2018 Toyota Forerunner TRD
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    That works, you do not need to mount the display, just plug the shunt into the display and stick it anywhere you want, even under the bunk in the TaB400 where the battery is, or in the battery box as you have done.  That said, I would but a weatherproof enclosure around the meter unit to keep it dry.  
    cheers
  • Options
    Very helpful..... thanks to each of you! 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Per what Denny said Victron actually makes a box for the display (which I just fastened to the top of my battery box in the front compartment) seems weatherproof enough for me 

Victron Energy Wall Mount for BMV or MPPT Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FZW53K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UsdtFb2YG174A
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Being a wireman...I fished the comm wire for my 712, and installed the display next to the sea level monitor in my 320s boondock. So far, the best advantage of the Bluetooth has been checking the condition of the battery in transit whilst my 12v fridge is running. Great tool
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    So if the monitor is placed in the metal box next to the battery (outside the camper at the front) will it transmit a Bluetooth signal to a phone inside the TaB?  I wondered if there is any problem with a phone picking up the signal.   Thanks
  • Options
    @jefffoss - here is a link that owners talk about real world experience with the smart battery monitors mounted in their tub.  Starting with JT4 July 31st.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @jefffoss no signal issues at all here. BT works from inside the metal tub to my tow vehicle, the camper and from my kitchen counter when the tab is in our driveway. Cheers
  • Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    Denny16 said:
    we installed the V712 for the same reason, networks with the MPPT, has the display and IOS app option,  it just works.
    cheers
    I am just wrapping up a BMV-712 install in our tab 400.    I mounted the display/Bluetooth above the tank monitor panel.  I like the idea of having a display available without relying on my phone.  We have two 6v batteries and I am considering midpoint monitoring.  Is anyone doing the midpoint on their two 6v in series?
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    jefffoss said:
    So if the monitor is placed in the metal box next to the battery (outside the camper at the front) will it transmit a Bluetooth signal to a phone inside the TaB?  I wondered if there is any problem with a phone picking up the signal.   Thanks
    I installed the Victron SmartShunt in the aluminum front tub and I haven't had any trouble getting the bluetooth signal from it in either my tow vehicle or in my trailer. As someone else pointed out, the difference between the SmartShunt and the 712 is that for the 712, the bluetooth signal actually comes from display, not from the shunt. I decided to go with the SmartShunt rather than the 712 because 1) I am cheap (the SmartShunt is slightly less expensive) 2) I didn't want to go through the hassle of running the wires from the tub into the trailer to feed the display. I suppose that you could mount the 712 display unit inside the tub, but for me, it doesn't seem to make much sense to bury the display unit there when you could just get a SmartShunt. But everyone has their own preferences.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    sort of a related question... my 2020 TAB320S has the typical NuCamp installed tank and battery monitor panel, which includes the "BATTERY" button, with percentage of use shown.

When it shows 50% does that mean that I have actually used half of the 80 amp hours and that is all the power I can safely use before damaging the battery, or does it mean that I have really used only 25% and have 25% left before hitting the hurt the battery point?

Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    The 50% mark indicates you have depleted the battery by 50%.  Also be aware that the KIB monitor tends to read higher than actual state of charge.  You should get a plug in voltmeter and gauge it against the monitor.

Is the KIB monitor still in use?
  • Options
    If the KIB monitor hits 50% on yiur battery reading, it’s time to recharge, let it go lower and you could shorten the battery life.
    cheers
  • Options
    javaborgiajavaborgia Member Posts: 3
    removed the battery for winter storage, neglected to note how the wires are to be reconnected, 2022 tab 320 cs-s boondock, can anyone show a picture/description/diagram? thanks
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited January 2023
    @javaborgia This picture shows a "stock" battery.  If you have the SAE port on the trailer (the "solar port") you will have two sets of wires.  If you look closely, there will be one pair of wires that go to the wiring harness (a plastic wrapper) and another set that go over to the side of the trailer with the SAE port.  In the photo below, the two white wires are on the negative post.  (One for the trailer negative, one for the SAE port negative).  In my 2017, the green/red wire, with the 30 amp fuse holder, goes to the trailer wiring harness.  The red wire is the positive side for the SAE port wiring.  I believe the newer setups have a fuse holder for the positive output to the SAE port, also.

If this does not match up to what you are seeing in your battery box, send a pic and we can figure it out.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DaveAnnaDaveAnna Member Posts: 41
    This shunt works great. $40. No issues