Options

Solving the underperforming A/C unit problem of the T@B 2014 S model

I was sent the attached .pdf file from the Yahoo group's files.  If anyone has a problem with me posting it here to help the owners of the 2014 models, please contact me, and we will discuss how the information can be transferred here in another form.  Thanks, Verna
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Thanks Verna. I read the write up, believe I will go the dc route for the fan. Thanks again!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    My new 2015 model has this built in. They must have received the memo! 
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If someone does this mod, it would be great if they could contribute a photo to this thread of where it is mounted. I might try it, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn- I will document my installation and put it in the technical posting area....eventually.
  • Options
    Thanks, Lark.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Jenn you may recall that ours is a 2014.  Is yours giving problems?  
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    judymac said:
    Jenn you may recall that ours is a 2014.  Is yours giving problems?  
    Not yet, but would rather not wait for trouble. :)

• Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    quick question:  is the a/c prolbem only on the "S" models, or all 2014 models????
    Curious since we are looking at a 2014 "Q" model....
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    quick question:  is the a/c prolbem only on the "S" models, or all 2014 models????
    Curious since we are looking at a 2014 "Q" model....

I would say that if you do not have the fan switch on the wall for the 12V fan inside the A/C cabinet, then you may need to consider this mod. 

What is strange to me is that so few people have commented about this A/C problem before this summer.  I do not know when LG changed from the CoolCat to the actual house-type A/C units, but it is possible that it started with that change over. 

Little Guy has obviously been good about finding a solution (the same solution they used on the Silver Shadow and T@G lines) and quickly instituting the changes as they heard about the complaints. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    breakawaybreakaway Member Posts: 38
    When we took our T@B MAX S 2014 in for work on our AC unit last summer, Marvin cleaned out the drain hose and installed the fan for us without even asking us. Solved the cooling problem and the condensation problem
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Marvin and Ed are great at their jobs!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    thanks all...We'll check that out...

Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Looking forward to reading and seeing the mod for this problem.  That may be the reason our compressor seemed to kick on and off constantly.  We haven't camped in this mid 90's weather but as Jenn stated, would like to do the mod before we did have trouble.

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    LarryLarry Member Posts: 25
    I also have to ask if this might be just an S problem. In our 2014 Q the AC is on the floor and has a vented opening as large as the unit on the back. We are planning a hot summer trip and would love to know if other non S owners with the Frigidare unit are having a problem.
    Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Update:
    ~~~~there are several ongoing discussions about the poor performance/overheated Frigidaire units on the FB page....I'm really getting concerned since we are about to pickup/pay for a LITTLE GUY 2014 "Q" model in the next few days....no one seems to be able to answer the question if this is an "S" only problem, or an all model problem with the Frigidaire units.  

There are so many comments about the a/c struggling/breaking down/not removing humidity in over 90 degree temps that it is very concerning. Coincidently, we purchased a "window unit" this size for use when our home a/c went out...it had no problem cooling 500 sq. feet in our house during the summer...it should easily freeze occupants in a little t@b.

Living along the Gulf Coast, one of our primary reasons for purchasing a T@B is to have a/c....if this is an ongoing problem, I'm wondering if we would be better off cancelling our purchase and looking elsewhere.  Frankly, it is a fairly large financial investment just to find out if the a/c will work or not.

Does the Little Guy factory have any input?
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    ... 2014 "Q" model in the next few days....no one seems to be able to answer the question if this is an "S" only problem, or an all model problem with the Frigidaire units.  ...

We also have a Q and have had some issues as well and would be interested in more information.  I have also started another thread about the AC not draining condensate properly.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The design problem of the 'boxed' ac unit is that it needs more ventilation.

The ac unit's intake air (cooling) goes through the same vent grating on the outside wall as the warm exhaust air, and the warm air gets pulled back into the ac unit.

An outside baffle system for the outside of the ac unit helps to separate the intake air from the warm output air....

I've cut notches in heavy corrugated sign-board and mount the board vertically, with notches that fit in between the horizontal fins of the outside vent. I'm mounting two of these boards in the vent grating, about 6" in from each end, they end up positioned so that they separate the intake air from the exhaust air.

These need to be removed when going down the road.

Pretty Rube, but it helps quite a bit.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I think LG should put these AC's on a slide. Basically while driving it is inside the Tab but when you get to your destination and set up, it slides outside the trailer for adequate cooling.
  • Options
    Lark - Interesting solution.
  • Options
    Update:
    ~~~~there are several ongoing discussions about the poor performance/overheated Frigidaire units on the FB page....I'm really getting concerned since we are about to pickup/pay for a LITTLE GUY 2014 "Q" model in the next few days....no one seems to be able to answer the question if this is an "S" only problem, or an all model problem with the Frigidaire units.  

There are so many comments about the a/c struggling/breaking down/not removing humidity in over 90 degree temps that it is very concerning. Coincidently, we purchased a "window unit" this size for use when our home a/c went out...it had no problem cooling 500 sq. feet in our house during the summer...it should easily freeze occupants in a little t@b.

Living along the Gulf Coast, one of our primary reasons for purchasing a T@B is to have a/c....if this is an ongoing problem, I'm wondering if we would be better off cancelling our purchase and looking elsewhere.  Frankly, it is a fairly large financial investment just to find out if the a/c will work or not.

Does the Little Guy factory have any input?
    I have a 2015 T@b, and it must have been one, if not the last one built without the fan. I have camped in high humidity and not had any issues. If I turn it up all of the way, during the day, it keeps up just fine and after the sun goes down, it tends to get too cold. Bear in mind - I like absolutely freezing temperatures. I keep my house around 63 in the winter.

• Options
    63? - No wonder your fingertips look blue.
  • Options
    PX- was thinking about doing it to mine but the outside hole is not large enough. Would have to cut larger hole on outside plus find a cover for the hole. "Not gonna do it"! Factory could do a re-design where that entire A/C housing could be on a slide.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    just got back from having my TV wired for brakes and lights---that was easy!

...seriously, Lark's idea is a solution that I have been tossing around--wondering why the factory did not think of a slide-out tray for the Frigidaire units. Haven't had a chance to call Little Guy yet, but reading more comments from all around the country it appears that the problem is not only on the "S" models....please correct me if I am wrong.

Mounting the a/c on a slide should completely solve any design issue and airflow issue that reduces a/c efficiency by moving the compressor and coils outside when in use. I'm not positive but I think I have seen sliding mechanisms on other rv's that use window unit style air conditioners.  But, that is a serious pain to even think about a project like that on a trailer we just purchased...

Right now, I'm rolling dice on the purchase since we are purchasing a used trailer (ie: no factory/dealer support)...and at this stage of my life after many years of restoring and building boats for a hobby, the prospect of redesigning  and rebuilding systems on a T@B (or anything else) sounds like one more "project" that this guy would like to avoid.  Uggghhh, I am almost sorry that I started reading about this problem...ignorance is bliss!

I guess that I could start a business retro fitting all those T@B's with this problem.  ;)
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • Options
    =) Catndahats- Maybe we could team up and provide this service. Driving to everyone's location and do the retrofit! What a retirement job! LOL...naaah!
  • Options
    great idea Lark!!!!
    Now if I can just get retired.....currently working and just plain old tired! B)
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    In reading this thread and another related thread, it sounds like the A/C problem is unique to units with the A/C unit enclosed on the floor.  Is that correct?  The CS-S has the A/C unit mounted near the ceiling.  I have only used it once or twice, so I don't really have enough data to determine.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Beth - It affects the wall mounted ones also. LG added an exhaust fan at some point (2015 models?) and that provides airflow around the condenser. If you have the little black rocker switch to the left of the Alde controls, then you have the fan and should turn it on when you're running the air.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Thanks - I will look again for an exhaust fan, but am almost certain it doesn't exist. I was suspicious when I ran the A/C last August on a very humid day in South Dakota and it could not cope with the humidity.  I was dressing for a wedding and I came out "glowing."  Hee hee
    Verna - thanks for posting the Amazon fan solution.  I may need to recruit some friends for that mod.
    All - I am assuming this is not considered a warranty issue because of all the recommended solutions?
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    A guy posted that he bought a fan for his a/c on Amazon, you might want to look for his post.  I saved the Amazon item but whe I picked up the 2015 it was already "fixed" so I deleted my save.  Look on the Yahoo site also.