Solving the underperforming A/C unit problem of the T@B 2014 S model

13»

Comments

• Options
    justwoodjustwood Member Posts: 13
    No its a Friedrich Window unit.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Is your T@b new? If so, there should be a switch for a fan installed by the factory next to the Adle control panel.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    The floor mounted units like in the Standard U,CS,Q models do NOT have a switch.  I believe the problem here is cold air sinks and hot air rises.  With the AC on the floor the cool air will never get up to cool the interior.  Place a regular small fan on the floor in front of the AC cold air outlet and point the fan UP.  See if that cools the inside better.  The floor units have a much larger outside vent cover as well so probably don't have a compressor heat issue. 

Just trying to think through this and help.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    USWildFlowers- with wood screws.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Good Afternoon Judy 
    The AC. Has to be removed then a small 12 volt fan is fastened to the ceiling right under the vent that is on the roof, it will draw fresh air in. then we install a switch on the shower wall and run the wires down thru the shower wall to the convertor.  

This was Marvin's response to my air cond. question.  Clear as mud to me.  I thought the fan was placed inside the air cond. box rather than overhead.
    I am thankful for his response as our dealer was unaware.

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    CgullettCgullett Member Posts: 20
    Using the auxiliary AC fan suggested elsewhere (from Amazon) did not solve our problem. It did give us a few more degrees before the compressor cut off from overheating, but it's not enough to allow us to use our T@b here in the desert Southwest. And thus ended early our trip to Zion National Park this weekend  :( .

I do see that that the DC fans available move more cubic feet per minute of air, so perhaps that might work. I'll call the factory Monday and hopefully they can tell me what their fan specs are.

This could be a deal-breaker for us keeping our 2014 T@b CS-S, I think, since it would stop us from taking weekend trips for many months of the year.
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Chris, the factory is closed next week, so July 6th would be the first you would be able to contact them. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Moderators, feel free to delete my post above.  I did not intend to sound critical; however, it seems the factory's mod is more indepth than what we had planned to do. 
    Thank you.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Is it safe to run the fan with the vent closed?  I wasn't sure if the blades would be clear.

Sandra said:
    Or try running your vent fan with the lid closed - it will work as a ceiling fan to circulate the air inside your T@B.

• Options
    LARK said:
    Yeah, I don't know if I was misunderstood but I believe the factory places the fan over the TOP outlet vent hole as pictured in Cgullett's entry above.

the factory told me the fan was placed on the ceiling under the fan vent.  I am totally confused.  Perhaps Breakaway might share their pics.  Thank you for you help.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    judymac said:
    Is it safe to run the fan with the vent closed?  I wasn't sure if the blades would be clear.

Judy, my Fantastic Fan will not run until the vent is open about 1/3rd of the way. Go ahead and try it. If it works, then it's OK. If it doesn't work then it is not meant to run without the cover open. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Just read this whole discussion, very informative. Since this is all older, I’m curious if the solutions continue to work. I have a 2014 and had an AC meltdown and need to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Thanks.
    Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @Lisamorrisette - the factory added the fan to increase air flow to the A/C starting with the 2015 models.  Here is a photo of what it looks like.  It does work.  However, you also need to separate the hot air discharge from the cool air intake in the rear of the unit by using radiator deflectors.   Here is a thread about that:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3564/air-conditioning-unit-change-out-part-2-ac-cabinet-modification/p1

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you. Those register deflectors look much easier than cutting and fashioning metal. I’ll be making this modification asap.
  • Options
    I might also add the cardboard deflector I made while out camping was an idea I found on the Girl Camper site courtesy of a T@b 400 owner who had a 20something model. So the fan alone, as you point out, is not sufficient.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    No, You need both to optimize performance.  While you are in there, take a good look at the A/C drip pan to make sure it is draining.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio