Options

Solving the underperforming A/C unit problem of the T@B 2014 S model

Comments

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Sgtjohn - I saw that posting, too.  The PDF file Verna posted is also very helpful.  Thanks!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    To Minnesota Beth from AZ Beth - yes, even with 100° weather, our AC cools just fine - 2015 T@b Max with the unit up on the wall and the black fan switch. But though the heat is triple digits, our humidity is only single digits this time of year. That's probably a big factor.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OXDAWY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3H8W5GW9NJES2&coliid=I1S9WPI8KH7PIV

Someone else originally posted and I saved in a Wish List; sorry I can't provide original attribution.

19 yr old grandson has been "living" in our early 2015 T@b Max S for nearly a month now. While my limited experience with the AC (got the T@b last October; haven't camped in particularly hot weather) raised concern about its cooling effectiveness, while my grandson has been in it it has stayed QUITE cool, even in 90- and upper 90-degree temps with the high humidity we experience here in the Chattanooga area. A couple of differences between when I tried it and where it is with my grandson - 1) I was in direct sun; while the T@b is parked under an awning for my grandson, and 2) I only ran the AC for an hour or so, and grandson has left it on continuously. He said that first day it took quite a while before it got it cooled down. Maybe the interior air is now cool enough to have "primed" it?

I think I'll probably go ahead with the fan mod - when I can talk my grandson into vacating the T@b...
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    CgullettCgullett Member Posts: 20
    @twocutes - this impacts units with the AC at the top as well. I have a 2014 CS-S. 

I looked at making the fan mod, but I could not figure out out the AC is removed. Hopefully I can find an RV service shop to do it - our local T@B dealer does not have a service department.
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    edited June 2015
    Just got back from Cottonwood AZ. The temp was a cool 104 F. Ran the AC all day and night for two days without an issue with the fan mod. Yes the humidity was around 15%.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    justwoodjustwood Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2015
    Can someone post a picture of where to mount the fan?  I am still questioning myself on where to properly mount the fan.  Also where did you place the switch for the fan?
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    ChanW, that's a good idea. Thank you so much. Here is what I am making.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    -
    @justwood - before and after pix. I added an inline switch on the cord, and left most of the cord in the Air conditioner enclosure, and then mounted the switch right at the AC outlet where the air conditioner is plugged. 
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Be sure to tell us how it works, Chris. Thanks for the pictures.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2015
    Lark, looks great! You've taken it farther than I have... 

I'd wonder if that's a big enough opening for the exhaust. I wouldn't think any restriction would be good.

Let me know how it works for you.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Did you use an AC fan since the air conditioner is AC?
  • Options
    Does the factory-installed auxiliary fan vent into the T@b interior?

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Does the factory-installed auxiliary fan vent into the T@b interior?
    I turned everything off (closed vent fan and windows) and used a couple sheets (clean :)) one-ply TP to look for where the air was going. This was before I knew what the fan was used for - this forum is awesome. The helper fan seemed to be pulling air out of the rig through the front filter of the air conditioner. I didn't see any obvious places where air was being directed to the inside of the T@B.

The people who camp during harsh winter weather could probably tell you every crack and tiny hole that cold air can go through!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    After I asked the location question, I noticed that justwood asked that in this and another thread; LARK responded in the other thread that he thought it was on the vent - presumably the vent cover to the outside. That seems to be in line with Ratkity's test evidence. Confirmation would be great. 

I wonder about the noise of the fan amplified on the metal vent cover, although the noise of the AC itself probably covers that.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I have sent a note to the factory asking for their advice. I'll post when I get an answer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    From the factory,  cgullet's photos above are basically how the factory would install the fan. The box around the A/C unit needs airflow and putting the fan at the top of the box will greatly assist removing the hot exhausted air.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't know if I was misunderstood but I believe the factory places the fan over the TOP outlet vent hole as pictured in Cgullett's entry above.
  • Options
    Lark, I just decided to check with the factory to make sure there wasn't something that you guys were missing. I wasn't trying to correct you.  If it were me, I would only want to remove the A/C unit once ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    No worries Verna...I just noticed that Gerry thought I meant that the fan went on the outside vent cover instead of the vent hole at the top of the box. Just wanted to ensure he didn't get the wrong message.
  • Options
    You're right LARK, I thought you meant the outside vent cover. I don't have access to my T@b right now, and didn't realize there was a top vent... Thanks!

• Options
    I had never paid any attention to that vent on the roof and had thought the fan would vent out the side. Then I saw a picture of a T@b under construction showing the fan placement at the top vent. 

@PxLated - I went with ac versus dc power for ease of installation and based on another forum post on the problem (on this site or Yahoo - can't remember).  Since it plugs into the same outlet as the air conditioner, it's not noticeable. 
    Figured that's what you did.
  • Options
    =) Here is my mod in progress. I'm going DC with 2 fans. One for the top exhaust and one for supplying air next to the compressor. I added insulated silver mats to the box and a exhaust heat deflector to the outside grill that I made so the hot air would not go back into the box.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    So your box exhausts the heat up it looks.
    I take it that the left side of the vent is air intake and the right exhaust.
  • Options
    Hey PX- Left and right side of the vent is air intake. Air exhaust is through the top hole fan and the heat shield that directs the heated exhaust air away from the intake of fresh air.
  • Options
    Ahhh - didn't notice that your little deflector was centered. Thought it went all the way to the right edge. I'm so observant :-(
  • Options
    justwoodjustwood Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2015
    Thank you for the responses.  However, I have the model with the AC mounted on the floor.  If I drill a hole for the fan shown in the pictures it would vent into the trailer.  Kind of counter intuitive.  Does anyone have any suggestions where to mount the fan in the models with the AC on the floor?
  • Options
    Lark - How are you fastening the roof-vent fan to the ceiling?

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

justwood said:
    Thank you for the responses.  However, I have the model with the AC mounted on the floor.  If I drill a hole for the fan shown in the pictures it would vent into the trailer.  Kind of counter intuitive.  Does anyone have any suggestions why to mount the fan in the models with the AC on the floor?
    DO you have the coolcat? That unit should not need a fan. It is just the newer T@bs with the window mount units.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014