Options

How long can your H20 pump run continuously?

MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
I did my first sanitizing procedure this weekend. For 2 reasons I wondered how long the pump would run. 1) Dry Camping to refill the Fresh water tank (2021 pump  method) 2) Filling the Gray Tank w/ the (former) used bleach solution (even a partial but significant fill). I figured the pump would overheat if run too long and shut down. It did, I didn't time it but it ran longer than I would use except for a long shower. So from a practical standpoint it was fine. But if I was refilling our fresh water tank with 10 gallons (for example) I do not believe it would do it even with a break while I refilled the 5 gallon water container.  What am I missing? This poor pump may need some help if this is done a lot.
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I think when we sanitize, we just empty the fresh tank on the ground and don’t pump it into the gray tank.  But, for using the Nautilus siphon/pump to fill a 19 gallon tank - that is a lot of water at one time.  So, I wonder if owners should limit the fresh tank fill using the pump to 5 gallons at a time?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I’ve never experienced any issues with the trailer’s 12V DC pump either in my former 320 or 400 T@B other than some plastic particulate in the 2015 model.  I did replace the latter pump for a larger pump and for more output that made a difference too.  And depending on distance traveled I do top off the tank and travel with a full load if it’s less than 200 miles, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    With the Nautilus, you can siphon fill just the sanitizer (1 gallon of water / 1/2 cup of bleach)...then use the powerfill to fill the tank completely (which doesn't use the pump at all).
    After this, set the Nautilus back to dry camp, and run water through the fixtures, let it sit for whatever sanitizing period you prefer, and then dump to ground.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    From my loading the bleach solution (1 gallon) I believe transfering 5 gallons into the fresh water tank should be within the range of the pump but I haven't tested that time or how much margin I have. Has anyone with the new Nautilus pump fill seen a problem pumping 5 or more gallons? The pump should overheat but be protected with a shutdown if left ON too long. I'd prefer not to get close to having the protection device shut down the pump!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Where is the concern for the pump overheating coming from? I'm not saying it can't happen, but this is not an issue I've ever seen mentioned here.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Is the Nautilus pump separate from the regular water pump? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    I'm guessing not. I'm not familiar with the Nautilus system but it appears to be just a fancy centralized collection of quarter turn valves that allow you to access different functions by routing water through different circuits. The redundancy of an extra pump would seem to defeat that purpose (but again, I'm just guessing here--no firsthand experience).
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, that is my first inclination, as space is always at a premium inside our T@B’s. I’ll find out for sure in about a month!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2020
    No, there is just one water pump, and yes, after a prolonged run time, it can overheat, and shut down.  That said the pump is water cooled to so e extent, running it dry would be more of an issue and cause damage.  Pumping water, if the pump needs a rest, it will just shut down, cool off and reset, ready for use again.  

I agree, I would not tey pumping more than 5 or 10 gallons at a time.  You can extend this, by adding a small marine type air-bladder reservoir tank to allow the pump to rest between cycles.  This will eliminate the continuous pump run.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    This forum moves sometimes on a topic! Sorry I wasn't more clear. I wasn't worried so much for damage as how long will it pump before shutdown. This only would be an issue if you had a large water container and were filling the fresh tank from the new "Nautilus" pump. OR the motor has or is about to have a brush or wiring issue and then the time to turn off would decrease a lot. If the time decreased much it is an indication that the pump will soon fail (preemptive replacement).
  • Options
    OK Mark, these pumps are very rugged and should last a long time with normal use.  The pump is not specific to the Nautilus system, but is the same pump used on previous TaBs, and used in many RVs and boats.  SureFlow pumps has been around for many years, used them in my boat back in 1990s. 
    Cheers
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I don’t think @MarkAl’s concerns are unfounded. Yes, Surflow pumps are an industry standard, yes, these pumps have been used for providing us faucet water, but the load that is being asked of these little pumps through the nautilus during certain functions may be a lot to ask. This is first model year with the nautilus, most of us don't have the “walking” knowledge of its capabilities, but this won’t be the first time we as a user group end up being the  focus/engineering group for Nucamp. Just my $00.02.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Yes, it is a concern with a new system.  But I saw a video of a RVer using the same or similar SureFlow pump to transfer 40 gallons of water from his TV tank to his RV tank, pump did the job without issue.
    cheers

• Options
    It's a pump...its only job is to move water. Pumping the less than 30 gallons via the Nautilus system into the fresh tank (if one would ever be using that function for that much water) is simply not an issue to worry over. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Then I have a problem with my new pump. Specifically I was trying to move 1/2 a tank of treated sanitizing water from the fresh water tank to the gray and let it sit to disinfect the build up (if any). My thought was with this new system doing all the water moving (if dry camped) it would have been designed to handle significant continuous pumping. The specific task wasn't necessary but wanted to see the limits of the pump. To do this I had both sinks running at full open position. I was initially getting good flow but after a short period of time the flow shut down and the pump stopped. When draining the tank I doubt I even had 5 gallons in the gray tank. Now the issue could have been pulling the water from the fresh through the two sinks and would not be a problem sucking it up into the fresh tank but I don't see a big difference.  I later tried the pump and it functioned normally.

Before I did more tests (which I will now do) I wondered if our astute forum members had done any continuous pumping with this "wonderful" SureFlow pump ;)  But if people consistently transfer 40 gallons with THIS pump I didn't see it. Sounds like I may need to contact the Warranty department (sigh). I "looked" at the filter but not removed it and it looks clean. As I've talked with the owner of a previous vintage that had issues w/ plastic debris clogging the filter and destroying the pump. I expect to need this pump to do more than transfer a few gallons into the fresh tank in the next few years of dry camping - since city water and pouring it in options won't be available.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @MarkAl
    If pumping approx 5 gallons shut the pump down, there is definitely something wrong with the pump - or there is some obstruction as you mention.
    That is not normal behavior.
    I carry a spare filter and filter housing...as those seem to be needed on these systems periodically.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083BKXJM1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    I pumped two 5 gallon buckets into the Fresh tank separated by a quick refill at 1.5 min. Each fill took approximately 2 min 10 sec. I did only the 10 gallons as I figured that would be a practical limit while dry camping. Pump sounded strong for both fills. The difference on pumping into the gray tank must be the flow direction and pressure sensor operation. I'm satisfied with the operation.
  • Options
    SteveWSteveW Member Posts: 12
    I just pumped full fresh tank -> grey 3 times in a row - Refilling the fresh the only real pause between. No issues at all. Sanitization as well ;-)
    Reformed tent campers now in Ab T@B - 2016 Outback
  • Options
    I assume you pumped from fresh to gray using the sink and continous toilet flush? I had 2 sinks that I just let run.  3X ! wow that is a lot of pumping! Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    MarkAl said:
    I assume you pumped from fresh to gray using the sink and continous toilet flush? I had 2 sinks that I just let run.  3X ! wow that is a lot of pumping! Thanks for the update.
    Don't think he used the toilet flush if he was filling the gray tank...
  • Options
    Good point, I've only one tank and forget. Still then one sink to fill the gray tank, must take forever.