Options

A/C box

LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
edited September 2016 in Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
Has anyone noticed the air conditioner box is not insulated and has gaps at the opening? I believe I am going to install thermal and acoustic insulation silver sheets to provide some insulation.

M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I would be concerned you might create the airflow problem, others are having with their condenser on their air conditioners.
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Air flow is the problem, that is why I'm in there. This is the beginning of my alteration to correct that problem. While I have it opened up I noticed the box is without any insulation leading to the inside walls of the box and that there are gaps when you remove the face trim. I have removed the a/c to place not only one fan to remove the heat through the top vent but another one bringing in fresh air next to the compressor. I will document on another post. Just wondering if anyone noticed the lack of insulation.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Definitely post some pics - especially of the compressor fan hookup.
    I definetly notice a draft coming in around the AC when I have a good wind so sealed the gaps between the the AC unit and the frame inside.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    PXLated said:
    Definitely post some pics - especially of the compressor fan hookup.
    I definetly notice a draft coming in around the AC when I have a good wind so sealed the gaps between the the AC unit and the frame inside.
    Hey, new Mod, did ya consider the outside snap on cover I guess you can get from the factory now as an after market item?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My Silver Shadow definitely has some drafts coming around it when the wind hits it just right, so I'm interested in seeing the pictures, too.  I sure noticed it while wintering in the SS in the Southwest--the nights tend to get a bit cool and the winds in Arizona tend to just appear without warning.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Rad - I'll have to check that out - Being out-n-about with limited tools, some foam packing material strips inserted was a quick-n-dirty solution ... Worked to seal the draft above the fridge too.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Rad,
    Have you seen a listing on the Teardrop shop for the after market, snap on air conditioner cover for the wall mounted AC.  Which category is it listed in?
    Jeff
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Rad,
    Have you seen a listing on the Teardrop shop for the after market, snap on air conditioner cover for the wall mounted AC.  Which category is it listed in?
    Jeff
    No, I was told to call the factory, mmmmm, I think it was the factory and not the shop.  
  • Options
    The factory and the Teardrop Shop are in the same building.  The supplies are stored in the factory.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    The factory and the Teardrop Shop are in the same building.  The supplies are stored in the factory.
    Well, there ya go, I nailed the answer.......in a way B)
  • Options
    Your lucky day Rad - Better buy a lottery ticket ;-)
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Too late for lottery ticket.  Already used up his luck on something more important. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    To order the snap on AC cover call Elise at the factory 330-852-4811
    M-F 5;30-3:30 EST. Ours was $24.22 plus shiping and came with snaps you install on the frame.
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    Remember, the factory is closed all this week for the Forth of July.
  • Options
    KathKath Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody have a link to the cover that is available from the factory? I'm at a loss with the search function. THANK YOU!

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!

2015 T@B M@X S. . . he, she will name itself on the next trip. . .
  • Options
    Which cover are you looking for? 

Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    For the air conditioner vent? We called Elise at the factory and she sent it out to us. 
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    jschemel said:
    To order the snap on AC cover call Elise at the factory 330-852-4811
    M-F 5;30-3:30 EST. Ours was $24.22 plus shiping and came with snaps you install on the frame.
    Could you post a picture of this Snap On AC Cover?
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thank you! Will order mine on Monday.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    You can also make an AC cover - pretty easy. Search and you'll probably find ones both @sable and I have made. Sables attaches with velcro, mine with magnets.
  • Options
    A question about the cover, I assume it's not insulated at all. Has anyone developed an AC cover that has insulation?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    I presume insulated for winter use - if so, I'd probably just take the vent cover off and stuff some insulation in there and put the cover back on. You could also make a cover like @sabel did but using foam insulation board.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2016
    I just use the factory purchased external (snap-on) cover and insulate the front seams at the front of my AC unit inside the trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike - Found with my external AC cover I no longer had to insulate the seam around the inside. The gaps around the fridge are another matter - the gap around the fridge lets more wind in then the AC so filled that gap.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    In looking at your cover photos, I am now wondering if my external grill dimensions are the same as yours (now that I know my AC electrical issue may have been due to a early version of T@Bs offering AC). My dimensions are 25 3/8 by 9 1/2, is this "normal"? It looks much longer than @Verna
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Your's is a different size.  Mine is 22" wide x 10" tall (four screws).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    In looking at your cover photos, I am now wondering if my external grill dimensions are the same as yours (now that I know my AC electrical issue may have been due to a early version of T@Bs offering AC). My dimensions are 25 3/8 by 9 1/2, is this "normal"? It looks much longer than @Verna
    Tell Elsie what dimensions and she can have the correct size made. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Since my 2013 T@B has a different sized AC vent grille, and since most of my camping is in cool weather, and after reading many of you have had your AC covers blown off during travel, I decided to make my own.

I had my water heater cover get blown off once in Wyoming during a severe windstorm. Therefore I wanted to make sure my AC cover, which would be on for most of the year, stayed put. I also wanted to be able to remove it without any tools. Yes, 8 screws is probably excessive, but that's what engineers do best :-)

Here's the first version:

The recipe:
    1. 1/4" plywood, painted black, coated with urethane
    2. auto/marine window seal glued to inside of cover
    3. wing screws (10-32), 3/4" long
    4. large washers
    5. drilled, then tapped holes in the metal grille face (to same threads as wing screws, 10-32)

I wanted to try wood first, since it was easiest for me to obtain and work with, but aluminum or plastic would be a nice version 2, if the wood ends up rotting. But there's no way it's blowing off!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    AldebaranJill, Looks nice, good touch with the wing nuts. Curiosity question: Has anyone tried tinted Plexiglas tinted to match the window, with kind of the same type attachment with the wing nuts and seal? 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf