Not much water draining.

Just did my first winterization on a Tab 400.  We're planning on an early winter trip, so I blew out with air to make un-winterizing easier (less flushing?).  Couple of questions:
Everyone's instructions say to open the low point drains one at a time, then do the same with the Alde pressure relief valves.  Why can't I open everything at the same time?
When I did open the low points (one at a time, even if I don't know why), I didn't get any water out the hot water one, and not too much out the cold water side. 
Also, I don't think I got 2.5 gallons out the Alde drain.  Since I ran the pump and opened the taps first, would that take most of the water out?
Finally, and most importantly... if it's winterizing when we decommission the trailer for the season, why isn't it called springizing when  we put the trailer back into commission?

2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, if you blew water out the taps first, there will not be much left to go out the low point drains.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    If you are limiting the PSI to blow out your lines, opening up all the outlets will divide the airflow and not optimize the blow out.  I think it will take longer.  
    You can open your drains all at once and then adjust your tongue to encourage complete emptying.
    You did not get much water to drain out of the outlets or not much water came out with blowing?
    Running the taps will help empty your Alde hot water tank.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    I blew out each faucet, shower head, etc. one at a time, after running the pump and opening each one individually.  I understand that when I'm putting air pressure in the system to clear the water, I want to concentrate that pressure on one outlet at a time.  Plenty of water came out when I opened each faucet under pressure.  In fact, I did a full series, then went back and did it again, in case water had collected at the low points of plumbing.
    It's the low point drains that I don't know why I'm supposed to do one at a time.  I didn't have any pressure on the system when I opened those.  Should I have?  It seems like they are just drains like the fresh water tank drain.
    Well, I think when I wrote the instructions for newbies Winterizing the 320, I took into account the need to raise and lower the tongue - maybe that’s why.  If you do one at a time, you can see if things are draining.  Also, some suggest that things drain better if you open a faucet to prevent any vacuum effect.
    I did open a faucet. I'm not too worried, just curious. Several sites mentioned opening one low point at a time, so that's what I did.

Now, about springizing....

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2020
    The opposite of winterizing is de-winterizing, “springizing” isn’t a word...  B) 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @TresK3 - I like springizizing!
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I recently de-springizized my T@B...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, “springizing” is the best word I’ve heard to describe it😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I like de-springizing for that thing we do when we put the trailer to bed.  It keeps everything focused on the more camper-friendly season!  Good one, @ScottG.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Well, to Summarize this discussion.....

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    My problem is I went camping without hookups about six weeks ago. We didn't use much hot water for the four days we camped but it did work for shaving. Blowout winterizing today I didn't get much water out of the Alde hot water tank, just maybe a cups worth. The water was somewhat dirty. I ran the pressure up to about 45 psi for each line and blew them out one at a time three times just to make sure no more water came out. At the end of this procedure I checked my catch bucket and was shocked to find about a dozen wasp egg casings in the bottom of the bucket. How worrisome and strange! I don't see how wasps could have gotten in the tank. The drain valves have been closed since the last time I winterized about a tear ago. Since I didn't see the casings when the hot water tank was first drained I'm thinking maybe they fell from the underside of the trailer. I'm thinking I should fill up the Alde tank and drain it again. Is there any way to fill just the hot water tank without getting water in any of the other tanks or p-traps where the last of my RV Antifreeze is? How can I tell that my hot water tank is full? For our little camping trip I filled the fresh water tank at home before we left assuming that when the fresh water tank is filled that fills the hot water tank. Is that correct? When I attach the water hose from my house does that fill the lines and completely fill the hot water tank? Thanks for any advise you can give.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    When you hook a hose up to the trailers city water attachment it will fill up the Alde hot water tank. Once the tank is full and air in the lines is removed you should get free running water without the sputtering, hissing, etc.  And no, there is no other way to add water to the system other than via the city water hookup or adding water into the freshwater tank.  The pink RV antifreeze is cheap enough to purchase and once you add water in and open the faucets to remove air in the line you will have water in your p-traps.  

Can’t imagine that wasp larvae was in your system?   I would raise the tongue of the trailer up and try it again before adding water into the trailer,  Make sure you check the pump filter too, unscrew it, empty out any residual water and reassemble it.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    @GrandmasKid - as Mike said, filling the Alde water tank only happens when you connect to city water and open a hot water tap or when you run your pump and open a hot water tap.  If the sputtering at the tap stops, your Alde tank is full.  

It is concerning that the water coming out of the Alde was dirty.  You should empty your Alde tank any time the camper will sit unused.  It sounds like you have not drained it in a year.  If it were me, I would hook up to city water and fill the Alde tank, then drain it until it runs clear.  I might even fill it and run the Alde on boost to help kill anything in the Alde.  
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @GrandmasKid, it sounds to me like you had mud wasps in one of your drain tubes. Draining the water out washed the mud out and left the water dirty and the eggs floating around...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya