Options

Will this harm my Alde 3010?

JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
Awhile back I read a post (either here or on Facebook) where someone recommended using Cryo-Tec 100 glycol for our Alde so I researched a bit more and bought a gallon of it. A few weeks ago I added some of it to (top off) the the existing glycol, which I'm pretty sure was the original from the factory. Last night I read that Cryo-Tec 100 also comes as Cryo_Tec 100 AL - for use with aluminum heat exchangers.

Anyone with any thoughts on this? Should I drain the Alde entirely and refill it with the Alde recommended transfer fluid (of which I see has a few different varieties) before winter sets in? 

And how bad was I in adding to the existing glycol - mixing two different brands?

I already winterized the plumbing and pulled the battery and propane.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Several years ago, there was a quite a bit of discussion regarding suitable glycol alternatives for the Alde system. In more recent times it has come to light that Century Transfer Fluid is the only glycol recommended by Alde for use in their North American units.

Just a bit of info--I realize it does not answer your specific questions. You might try contacting Alde, though I suspect you will get a similar standard answer.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I just looked up Century Transfer on Amazon, and saw one review where a buyer stated they also bought Cryo-Tec 100 and did mix it with their existing Century Transfer Fluid...? Probably safest to drain it all and replace with Century TF.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I talked with Alde now combined with Truma about possibly using the Camco heat transfer fluid used in other RVs.  I was told no, only use the Century fluid.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'd ask the manufacturer if combining them is ok, and if you will have enough protection... 
    It seems that topping off wouldn't cause enough dilution to matter, as long as they are compatible.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,702
    I don't understand why Alde makes this so hard.  I don't think owners will ever get a straight answer from them until lawyers are involved.  This is everything Alde has to say about the glycol.  If the CryoTek doesn't work in the Alde, we should be told specifically why.

The heating system must be filled with a mixture of water and glycol. Use only high quality ready-mixed glycol (with inhibitor) intended for aluminum heating systems. The heat transfer medium must be Propylene glycol based boiler antifreeze. The antifreeze must meet FDA (GRAS) standards or be non-toxic fluid having a toxicity rating or class of 1, as listed in Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products, 5th ed.

If you are using concentrated glycol, the mixture should consist of 60% distilled water and 40% glycol. If the heating system will be exposed to temperatures below -15 °F (-25 °C), the glycol content must be increased but not to more than 50%.

Do not mix different types of glycol; this can lead to coagulation of the glycol fluid.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's what I'd remembered. 'Propylene glycol with inhibitors'.
    Should be that simple. 
    I think the OP was concerned with mixing the two types, inhibited, vs potentially non-inhibited.
    I think those (three) that he's talking about are all propylene, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    I don't understand why Alde makes this so hard.  I don't think owners will ever get a straight answer from them until lawyers are involved.  This is everything Alde has to say about the glycol.  If the CryoTek doesn't work in the Alde, we should be told specifically why.

The heating system must be filled with a mixture of water and glycol. Use only high quality ready-mixed glycol (with inhibitor) intended for aluminum heating systems. The heat transfer medium must be Propylene glycol based boiler antifreeze. The antifreeze must meet FDA (GRAS) standards or be non-toxic fluid having a toxicity rating or class of 1, as listed in Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products, 5th ed.

If you are using concentrated glycol, the mixture should consist of 60% distilled water and 40% glycol. If the heating system will be exposed to temperatures below -15 °F (-25 °C), the glycol content must be increased but not to more than 50%.

Do not mix different types of glycol; this can lead to coagulation of the glycol fluid.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I just purchased two gallons of Century TF. I intend to use gravity to drain the existing PG and then a hand pump to try to force the remainder out. I will then top off the tank to the max mark and turn the pump up to 5, and turn on the Alde 3010 and monitor how much remains in the overflow tank, and adjust accordingly. Hopefully this will be enough to remedy my earlier mistake.

And for the sake of convenience I will continue this conversation in an existing thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2665/changing-out-the-alde-fluid/p7

Thanks for all the input.

Thanks, Jerry 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2020
    I found out years ago, not all glycol fluids are the same.  I had an aluminum heat exchanger,on a marine engine with an aluminum manifold separating the salt water cooling chambers from the glycol reservoir, and the result was the alum divider in the manifold had a hole eaten in it by using the wrong glycol, allowing salt water into the engine cooling system.  I had to completely flush the system, get a new manifold unit, which we treated with a high tech anodizing material and reinstall it whilst the boat was in the yard.  What a mess.  I learned to read the fine print and get the right stuff to start with.

When it came time to replace the glycol in our TaB, I made sure that Century TF,was used, and had an extra gallon purchased to top off the system with.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.