Options

Alde service for a full-timer T@B400, 365 day use

jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
I live in my 2019 T@B400. I bought it new one year ago. I am considering servicing the Alde glycol sooner than the recommended 2-year interval since my Alde is used every day (hot water in warm months, heat and water in cool months) I winter in the southwest U.S. but still use the Alde every night. I emailed customer service at Alde/Truma, they said to stick with 2-year servicing.

Any NuCamp-Alde users out there with evidence I should do otherwise?

Service <service@trumacorp.com>
Fri, Oct 30

Jim, Thank you for contacting us. You will use the same 2 year schedule as anyone else. Every two years is accurate .

Best Regards,
Chantal Hershberger
Senior Customer Care Coordinator
2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @jimcenname If you have space for a pH test strip kit, and a cheap refractometer, you are the best source to answer your own question. Check it every six months or so.  If the color looks right, pH is 7 or higher and refractometer shows protection down to zero or below, then no need to change yearly?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    I see refractometers are inexpensive. What about corrosion protection. Is pH indicative of that too?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    The refractometer tells you the freeze protection. The pH tells you the corrosion resistance.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    As a full-timer I realize my T@B400 maintenance schedule occurs rapidly compare to recreational use. Today I am interested in my Alde Glycol. Since I winter in the southwest US and avoid freezing weather at all cost I have a greater interest in the pH of the glycol than it's freezing point. My Alde has been in use about 17 months and it appears the pH of my glycol is between 9 and 10. From what I read here and elsewhere that is an acceptable number. See photos.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    It is good to care about this but let me ask you this, as an owner of a Diesel garage for 31 years how much have you worried about your car antifreeze? I am not saying to ignore all but not to beat a dead horse to death. Travel more and enjoy your T@B. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    According to Alde US, you can use the system full time, and only need to do the normal maintenance as outlined in the unit’s manual.  No extra service is required or needed.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My Alde ran for two years while fulltiming. Only one small burb at the end of fulltiming, otherwise, hot water every day and heat whe needed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @verna glad your 2-year Alde FT experience was good. Did you travel a lot when Fulltiming?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jimcenname, not as much as I wanted. A family member was sick and I had to stick around “home” to help. But, I found I’m more of a homebody than I thought. I found my dream home out in the country and I’m happy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna interesting about being a homebody, I'll PM you for more conversation.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    CassieCassie Member Posts: 5
    I just joined this forum specifically to comment on this issue. You are right to be concerned about corrosion in the Alde system if used heavily. It happened to me on my 2018 Tab 320. After about 18 months of almost continuous use the Alde heat quit working though I still had hot water. Eventually the problem was traced to corrosion in the glycol distribution system, specifically in the (aluminum?) radiation fins. It was so bad one of the connecting hoses had also corroded and was leaking glycol slowly onto the floor under the passenger side seating. This was the cause of the Alde heat not working. My local dealer ended up having to replace the entire glycol system including all the hoses and radiators for a cost of $2000. I was also without my trailer for over 3 months as this happened during the summer and parts were very hard to get. So despite Alde’s assurance that the glycol is good for 2-3 years mine failed way before that. When my dealer contacted them they replied that  although rare it can happen under “heavy” use. Neither Alde nor my after market insurance would cover “corrosion” and I was past The Nucamp warranty period. I have since upgraded  to a 2021 Tab 400 which I continue to use every week. I am not sure if living in the Seattle area with its wet and humid climate had anything to do with the failure but I can assure you I will now be keeping a very close eye on the Glycol and will be replacing it every year.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    So, it sounds like those who full time and use the Alde continuously risk glycol degradation and loss of corrosion protection.  Need to check the pH regularly.  Even though Alde says you can use the heater full time, nuCamp does note that their trailers are not intended for full time living.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Cassie where did you have your TaB before the corrosion occurred?  The glycol does not circulate directly in the find, just in the tubes.  Corrosion in the fins would be from an environmental issue, like being around a salt water/ocean coastal area, or an area with high air pollution, like around airports.  

I agree with Sharon, if the Alde gets more than occasional use, one should check the Ph level regularly.
    cheers
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Good point @Denny.  Is it possible the exposure of the fins to the leaking glycol lead to the corrosion?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Not normally Sharon, unless the glycol went acidic, or its corrosion inhibitor ability failed.  I had this happen on a marine engine heat exchanger, that had an aluminum manifold on the pump, that only had an aluminum wall separating the salt water cooling from the glycol in the heat exchanger, allowing salt water into the glycol lines.  This was down to bad glycol on one side and the salt water eating away on the other side.  So yes, bad glycol can create corrosion issues.
    cheers
  • Options
    CassieCassie Member Posts: 5
    I guess I described it badly. Although you are technically correct that glycol does not circulate through the  fins themselves it does circulate through the radiators. Tubes connect to both ends. The corrosion was inside the radiators not on the outside of the fins. All my use was in Washington State. Very little was in a salt water environment. The possible effect of the climate I was suggesting would be on the glycol itself. Yes good idea to check ph of glycol regularly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, and corrosion in aluminum can spread over its surfaces, from a leak or corrosion spot in the tube.  Sounds like you had a bad glycol issue.  The glycol in our recently purchased formally owned 2018 TaB400 was a little over two years old, and whilst it looked OK, we had it replaced when the TaB was in the shop for its floor replacement.
    cheers
  • Options
    @Cassie thanks for your comment and welcome to the forum.

According to Century Chemical, their transfer fluid has a pH between 9 and 10. I tested the fresh stuff I have and it was between 9 & 10 as well as the pH of the fluid in my system. 

@Denny16, what do you mean by "Looked OK"? Did you test it?

2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Even worst is the dissimilar electrolysis in different metals like in our A/C system fins in our home a/c units that make us replace them in 10 years or less on the evaporator cores. Electrolysis can eat most metals. Art 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Jim, no, I just had it replaced with new Century Transfer fluid.  By, it looked OK I meant it was still the correct color.  From what I understand, as the Ph changes in the green glycol, it starts to shift its color, getting darker in appearance.
    But you are correct, you can not tell by just looking.  At any rate it was time to change it out per Alde recommendations.
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16 even though I've had it since Oct 2019, less than two years, my T@B was manufactured in Nov 2018 so the glycol has been in the system for over two years. I think I'll change it. Thanks for your response.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Sounds like a plan.  Mine was made in Jan 2018, and we changed the glycol in August after the floor was done.  The TaB did not have much use dirung those two plus years, and was in northern CA after its initial trip up the coast from SocCal to Washington and back to NorCal., which is where we purchased it last year.

Tiven you are using it a lot, changing it now is probably a good idea.  Try to find a dealer that can do the factory style change out with the pump.
    cheers