Options

Extended A-frame to reduce tongue weight

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited February 2021
    @m_lewis, part of the difference in premiums could also be the fact that F-150's have one of the highest rates of theft in the USA, I can't say for sure. According to Forbes, the F-150 was the #1 stolen vehicle in 2020.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2020/10/13/do-you-own-one-of-the-most-stolen-vehicles-in-the-us/?sh=660429e6ad18

I have a few connections at FMC that I am going to converse with this week to see if I can get anyone to commit to what may be closer to the actual number other than the "500 Lb. blanket statement".

I will provide an update with any information that I get.  

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited February 2021
    Okay, to all of the F-150 Owners on this forum I wish to share the information my contact at FMC shared with me.

#1. I was correct when I stated that the "500 Lb. limit for a Class IV receiver is for FMC Liability and nothing more.

#2. I was also correct that the tongue weight limit is NOT a blanket number but that it is calculated from the "remaining payload capacity" after subtracting cargo and people in the truck from the "payload capacity of the specific vehicle as noted on the sticker in the door jamb". 

#3. I am sharing a Word document from a FMC internal website that has the formula that FMC uses. It is thought (but not confirmed) that the dealerships have access to this information. It is NOT available on a public website. FMC uses a figure of 15% for their calculation of tongue weight based on trailer weight UNLESS it is a 5th wheel, at which point they use 25%. If I have time, I will create an Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for those "who really want to know". 

Summarizing, the official acceptable trailer tongue weight answer is "it is based on vehicle options, passengers, and cargo in the truck which is then subtracted from the payload capacity". This also means that a WD hitch, airbags, helper springs, etc. are NOT a requirement to tow up to the maximum trailer weight unless your tow vehicle is not sitting level.

I hope everyone is satisfied with this information and this subject is put to bed for good. 

Brad 
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2021
    Well that sound more reasonable, and is how Dodge bases their tongue weight calculations, up to the mechanical max the deceiver/frame attachment points can handle.  The calculated limits are much lower than the mechanical max, due to payload limits in any truck.  He payload limit is the bottom line here on any tow vehicle, including SUVs.  The vehicle’s door sticker says it all...  

For my Jeep truck, adding up the river + one passenger, 100lbs of gear, ends up with 750 lbs of payload remaining, which is the max tongue weight on the MaxTow package on the Jeep Gladiator 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.