Options

Pahaque Cover Turns to Dust in about Two Years and is Trash

I can't understand why I see so many people raving about the good quality of the Pahaque covers. Yes, they seem awesome when you first get it, but they start deteriorating rapidly by the beginning of the second year.  The first one I bought back in 2015 lasted three seasons which isn't bad I guess. I noticed it was getting thinner and thinner until the end of the third season it was just paper thin and ripped about a 6ft rip in seconds.  I decided to buy another one in 2019 since, at the time, I didn't realize there were alternatives.  This one seemed to turn to dust even quicker.  I doubt it will make it through another year.  I've had it 20 months and it covered my black sweat pants in powder. Its the actual fibers that are just turning to dust. It weighs noticeably a lot less than it did when it was new.   Do I just need to accept I'm only going to get three 2 1/2-3 years out of any cover?  Does anyone know if the All Pro cover is better, or is it also a Pahaque without the logo? I live in Maryland, so its not known to be a high intensity sun state. 

Thanks,
TabbyShack

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Depending on your location, the sun is brutal! I had boats for several years and the first boat I bought a fitted cover for, they would last 2 years at best in the NC sun. When I got a larger boat, the price of a fitted cover wasn't reasonable ($600 plus), so I used $100 tarps, they would last 2 to 3 years or about the same amount of time as an expensive cover.

The UV's of sunshine when in direct sun (along with the temps) are just beyond what even I can believe. On the east side of my house on the deck, the mid morning temperatures are 140 plus in the summer when measured using a non contact infrared temperature gun. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    We have had the All-Pro since end of May. When shopping we were assured it's the heaviest one out there. Not sure if that means an extra 6 months in southwest NM sun and pretty brutal winds? After purchase of trailer, we couldn't really look at carport tall enough for T@B 400 and wide enough for my mediocre backing skills. Hopefully cover will last long enough for budget to recover. Then decide on carport vs. second cover.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    Maybe consider spraying a UV protector on the cover in southern states?  I'm not having this issue in the PNW.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I reached out to Pahaque after buying my used 2018 T@B in September, as the cover had mildew on it and wondered what to do about it. 

Their reply:  Mildew can be cleaned off if it hasn't been there too long. Use warm water and a little dish soap with a soft sponge. Don't use anything else.  If it has set into the fabric too much it's irreversible and there's nothing you can do about it. It will eventually deteriorate the fabric and it'll start to crumble or tear very easily.

I have noticed the powdery residue when I put the cover on and off.  I don't know for certain how old it is, though.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Yea, I forgot to mention the mildew. I tried laying out the 320 cover on my driveway and put car wash soap on it and got it nice and sud-zee but it did nothing. I can live with the mildew but not the 6ft holes. Haha. 

All good points above. Perhaps 2 1/2 years is about what can be expected of any brand.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I've had my Pahaque XL visor for five years with no sign of deterioration (in Phoenix AZ).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    I bought a Classic Accessories Rpod cover from Walmart when we got our 400. It came with a 3 year warranty so I thought I'd give it a try. I get about a year out of the cover and the top disintegrates. They have stood by the warranty though. I am on my third cover. I had hoped one of the more expensive covers would do better but maybe not.
  • Options
    The expensive cover will buy you about another year and a half over the cheaper one it seems. At over $500 for the 400 cover, I think we might be better off just buying cheap covers and using warranty coverage and/or plan to buy a new one more often than we would like. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    My PahaQue cover is in its sixth season and is still in very good condition and no powdery residue. However, I only deploy it for ~6-7 months during the northeast winter so it doesn't get much time to work on its tan. Old Sol is a tough taskmaster on sunbathers.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I also have a Classic Accessories RPod cover I purchased from Amazon.  This will be my second year using it for the winter and into Spring, but it is off most of the summer.  Mine looks to be still in really good shape.  My thinking is if I have to buy one every 3 years or so, that at least the @$130-$150 ish dollars to replace it  is much easier to take when it falls apart than the cost of a Pahaque.  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    My Pahaque cover is on year round. I put it back on the camper when I return from every trip. The main reason a cover is beneficial is to keep the sun from baking it, so its baking the cover instead. That's an acceptable loss I guess. I'd rather the cover being destroyed by the sun than the T@B. 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I purchased a Pahaque cover used one season from a fellow forum member. I am going on my second season covering my 400 for another southern New England winter. I treated my cover with waterproofing spray obtained from Walmart (V.I.P. Silicone Water-Guard Water Repellent Fabric Care, 13.13 Ounces, Weather Resistant) and the cover looks as good as it did when I got it. 
    The Pahaque cover replaced a Classic Accessories RPod cover which after one season on my Rpod and one on my 400 was ripe and became useless. 
    Only time will tell how the Pahaque cover will hold up but so far so good. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    My Pahaque cover is on year round. I put it back on the camper when I return from every trip. The main reason a cover is beneficial is to keep the sun from baking it, so its baking the cover instead. That's an acceptable loss I guess. I'd rather the cover being destroyed by the sun than the T@B. 
    Despite sitting in partial sun half the year, only getting washed once a season, and never being waxed, my 2015 T@B's finish--including the plastic--shows no sign of degradation and still looks very good. The blemishes it does have derive from road wear rather than sun exposure. YMMV! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    SteveandpingSteveandping Member Posts: 2
    Note: We bought the Polypro 3 18' for our 2021 T@b 400 Boondock, but it's just a little too small and had to return it. So we switched to the one from Allproadventures that is custom fit and it's a perfect fit. Hopefully, it will last a few years. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited March 2021
    I'm definitely going to go with the All Pro cover this fall when I have to replace my Pahque cover This is the second Pahque cover I've had that has disintegrated to the point it has to be  replaced by the end of the third season.  This is unacceptable in my opinion, but who knows, maybe the All Pro will do the same thing.  Both covers I've had (one on a 320 and current one on my 400) just literally disintegrated before my eyes.  I actually started wearing a dust mask now when I put my Pahaque cover on.  If I happen to have on dark pants when I put it on, I'm COVERED in fabric dust.   

For the price, I really feel like I should get four years out of the cover AND to not have it be super thin starting at the beginning of year three. I do keep the cover on year-round, so if you uncover in spring and don't recover until fall you are going to get alot more life out of it, but then your T@B gets the sun damage instead.
  • Options
    Update: So I just went out to uncover the 400 for the season and the cover ripped through, so I only got two seasons out of it. The rip is not on a seam or anything. Just at a random location.  I just purchased a new cover from AllPro Adventures. Hopefully it will last at least three seasons.  I live in Maryland and the camper sits in partial sun/shade, and I keep the T@B covered year round, but I still expect longer than two years out of a $550 cover. I do not recommend the Pahque covers.  
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    Interesting.  I just removed our cover after it's second winter in the Pacific Northwest and the Pahaque cover was in excellent shape with just a little dirt on it.  It was still somewhat water repellant.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Horigan - TabbyShack uses his cover year round - more exposure to UV etc.  I think a lot of owners maybe only cover their TaBs in the winter, so, that may account for the greater length of service.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio