Options

400 vs. Airstream Bambi 16RB

My family and I went to spend some time in both of these trailers. I know these two may not be apples-to-apples comparisons in terms of price but they are in the same family when it comes to space and amenities. 

Upon initial entry into the 400...first thought was it was tinier than expected. But after maybe five minutes inside it started to feel “normal”...hard to explain but we all felt like it could work. 

The fear of the rear bed feeling claustrophobic was mostly unfounded. I’d probably sleep in the back (by the wedge) and it wasn’t too bad. I actually really like that section of the bed. Climbing over my wife to use the bathroom was also a concern that proved false...no big deal. 

Bathroom was good. Spacious given the size of the trailer. I wish the door was some kind of pocket door or collapsible contraption but hardly something to ding it for. Kitchen is awesome. So much room for cooking.

Now for the bad. 

Dinette is very small. All three of us can sit at it just fine but I wish we had a few more inches of elbow room. Plus you’re almost sitting knee to knee...make the trailer 3” wider? As a bed it will be fine for our son and maybe even one of his buddies he may want to bring along. Once he hits grade 5-6th we may have to upgrade but even then, he can manage. 

Tiny exterior storage and overall not a ton of storage (compared to the Bambi). I know people rave about the storage though.

That fantastic fan has to go. So loud! I’d probably opt for Nucamp to put that in the bathroom and do the Maxxair fan. We have one in our current pop up camper and it’s so quiet. 

The Bambi was next. Upon entering the first thing we noticed was the spaciousness compared to the 400. Dinette is the perfect size. Room to move past one another as well. TONS of storage...like a lot (that under bed storage is huge). That front window is unbeatable and that whole front area is amazing to hang out in. 

That’s where the positives kind of ended.

It’s very dark...the metal walls feel cold (literally and figuratively). The kitchen prep space is nonexistent. You can use the dinette table but still, nothing compares to the 400. Those tambour doors are horrible. Three of them would just bind up and you couldn’t open them all of the way. I’m sure that ac is going to be loud overhead in such a small trailer.

The #1 worst thing is the bathroom. I realize it’s a wet bath but still, I’m 5’11”/190lbs and it wouldn’t be anywhere near as enjoyable to use that bathroom vs. the 400. It’s a casket and there’s a bunch of wasted space by the window.

Both trailers had excellent build quality. I’d put the 400 slightly ahead just based on the overall complexity of cabinet construction. Super solid. 

The “vibe” is going to be subjective but I loved the interior feel of the 400. Bright and airy. The fabric on the walls deadens the sound and keeps things warm. It doesn’t feel like an RV...it’s like a condo on wheels. The Bambi was dark...too dark. Some may like that feeling but we were more into the modern/European feel of the 400. Just a more well thought out space.

Now we have to weigh the biggest negative we felt with the 400...space. Can we be comfortable in a much tighter-feeling space? We’re still chewing on that.

it seems you can pick up the 400 in the low $30k and the Bambi in the low $40k. So is 10k worth the difference? Probably not for us.

Just wanted to post our thoughts since some others may be debating the same trailers. 
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2020
    The 2021 TaB400 does have the under bed storage area in the middle third of the bunk.  This is a fairly large area, and we used it to fit in can goods, in a tote, a large flat bottomed wok, and dry boxed food stuff in a tote.  We even put the eggs and wine in there, kept them quite nice and no damage.  I was surprised by how much I got in there.  We packed in food for four, for a week stay, sharing one meal a day with friends who stayed in a nearby condo.  

We ate outside to keep Covid distance requirements.  Whilst camping, eating outdoors is the normal rule, after all you go camping to enjoy the out of doors, and we had a great like side spot.

The outside access area, is also larger than it looks, held tool box, folding table and stool, spare parts box with fuses, etc, and a drill driver kit in its box.  Just need to pack it in like a jigsaw puzzle.  B)
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    @Denny16 - I second a flat-bottomed wok as essential kitchen equipment. One pan, quick, hearty meals!
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yes, the wok worked great, and was the only pan we used.  You can use it on a fire ring or the portable high BTU LPG burner, we had in the truck.  It is a nice bit of kit for quick meals, you can do omelettes, stir fry, braze meats, cook any veggies fry or steam them.  Anything you can do on a stove top pan, you can do in the wok, and do it faster.  Very easy to clean up too, with minimal water.  We work up menus in advance, and bring what we need to make them, food and cooking kit.  This keeps the packing to what we actually need to use, and maximizes the storage space.  
    cheers
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Denny16 said:
    The 2021 TaB400 does have the under bed storage area in the middle third of the bunk.  This is a fairly large area, and we used it to fit in can goods, in a tote, a large flat bottomed wok, and dry boxed food stuff in a tote.  We even put the eggs and wine in there, kept them quite nice and no damage.  I was surprised by how much I got in there.  We packed in food for four, for a week stay, sharing one meal a day with friends who stayed in a nearby condo.  

We ate outside to keep Covid distance requirements.  Whilst camping, eating outdoors is the normal rule, after all you go camping to enjoy the out of doors, and we had a great like side spot.

The outside access area, is also larger than it looks, held tool box, folding table and stool, spare parts box with fuses, etc, and a drill driver kit in its box.  Just need to pack it in like a jigsaw puzzle.  B)
    cheers

I did forget about that under-bed storage. Definitely a nice size space.

I also didn’t mention the other features of the 400 that are beyond what the Bambi offers. The Nautilus system is great. Ducted AC and radiant heat. Accent lighting. Sink in the bathroom. I feel like the 400 offers a lot for the money.

I didn’t even mention the other cardboard boxes we looked at on the lot. Huge spaces but just the cheapest materials. No interesting spaces or design. That classic cheap RV environment.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I live in my 400. I need to put a lot of utility stuff in the back of my Nissan Frontier leaving all of the 400's storage space for food and clothing. I removed the bathroom sink and installed a wood panel with towel bars. It increased the space in the shower. I've read NuCamp can leave the sink out if you ask. I've seen the spare tire put a lot of places on the 400. I moved mine into the Nissan bed to lighten the trailer tongue, which is were is was on my model.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    All the TaB400s have the spare under the tongue.  The other options were on the TaB320s.
    cheers
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited November 2020
    @manyman297

When my wife gave me the green light to upgrade from our 2017 320S, I also looked at what Airstream has to offer, since we camp mostly without hook ups I started with the Basecamp. I also looked at a 16 and 20 foot Bambi.

Airstream builds nice stuff, but then again so does NuCamp.

The Basecamp was quickly a no, due to the fact that the bed and dinette were the same as the 320S, meaning that you take the bed apart to eat (depending on the weather) and take the dinette apart to sleep; plus the cushion covering is vinyl. Yes, durable and easy to clean but I sleep very warm and something like this that doesn't breathe would be awful for me.

The 16 Ft Bambi simply wasn't big enough and if I remember correctly you still had the issue with taking the bed apart to eat or vice versa.

The 20 Ft Bambi was simply a larger camper than I wish to pull with my F-150 and wouldn't fit into some of the places we like to go. In addition, it was more money than I wanted to spend since I would have needed to finance part of the purchase which is against what my wife and I agreed upon. 

So, off to the one of the 2 NuCamp dealers in NC I went. Made a deal that morning for a 2020 400 BDL. Outside of the air conditioning issue (which I am confident will be resolved before next summer) my wife and I absolutely feel it is perfect for us. We purchased the smaller danfoss compressor refrigerator VS the larger absorption refrigerator. The larger absorption refrigerator is an option while the smaller compressor refrigerator is standard, I can't recommend strongly enough to go with the compressor refrigerator. We were able to use it more this year than we initially thought due to Covid, and are overall quite pleased with everything.

I plan to make some changes, modifications, and otherwise over the course of the "off season" but feel that for us we made the best choice between what Airstream had to offer in our desired size range, price, and most importantly comfort and functionality. Unless something really neat, new, or nifty comes along; this will likely be the last RV we purchase.

Brad

P.S. The air conditioner issue only affected some of the 2020 TAB 400's and no other unit by NuCamp.
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Dutch061 said:
    @manyman297

When my wife gave me the green light to upgrade from our 2017 320S, I also looked at what Airstream has to offer, since we camp mostly without hook ups I started with the Basecamp. I also looked at a 16 and 20 foot Bambi.

Airstream builds nice stuff, but then again so does NuCamp.

The Basecamp was quickly a no, due to the fact that the bed and dinette were the same as the 320S, meaning that you take the bed apart to eat (depending on the weather) and take the dinette apart to sleep; plus the cushion covering is vinyl. Yes, durable and easy to clean but I sleep very warm and something like this that doesn't breathe would be awful for me.

The 16 Ft Bambi simply wasn't big enough and if I remember correctly you still had the issue with taking the bed apart to eat or vice versa.

The 20 Ft Bambi was simply a larger camper than I wish to pull with my F-150 and wouldn't fit into some of the places we like to go. In addition, it was more money than I wanted to spend since I would have needed to finance part of the purchase which is against what my wife and I agreed upon. 

So, off to the one of the 2 NuCamp dealers in NC I went. Made a deal that morning for a 2020 400 BDL. Outside of the air conditioning issue (which I am confident will be resolved before next summer) my wife and I absolutely feel it is perfect for us. We purchased the smaller danfoss compressor refrigerator VS the larger absorption refrigerator. The larger absorption refrigerator is an option while the smaller compressor refrigerator is standard, I can't recommend strongly enough to go with the compressor refrigerator. We were able to use it more this year than we initially thought due to Covid, and are overall quite pleased with everything.

I plan to make some changes, modifications, and otherwise over the course of the "off season" but feel that for us we made the best choice between what Airstream had to offer in our desired size range, price, and most importantly comfort and functionality. Unless something really neat, new, or nifty comes along; this will likely be the last RV we purchase.

Brad

P.S. The air conditioner issue only affected some of the 2020 TAB 400's and no other unit by NuCamp.
    The Bambi has a dedicated bed and feels roomier than the 400...hence our initial dilemma. The tiny bathroom quickly cleared up that dilemma. And anything above the price of the Bambi was really off the table. Just too expensive to justify.

Yeah, the Basecamp (the new 20x that has a similar layout to the 400) is designed around extreme outdoor enthusiasts. That’s not us.

We definitely want the smaller compressor fridge. I had no idea those existed. We hate our current absorption fridge in our tent trailer. Why does nucamp even offer the three way still?

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yes, the 2-way Danfoss compressor fridge is grand, almost 2CF, and holds a lot of food.  We packed ours formthen1-week trip, had to boondock,during part of it due to a power grid shutdown, and the solar kept the battery charged.  We didn’t go be,ow 70% charge.  So this fridge is also energy efficient, the newer Danfoss model more so than ours.  This gives you the wardrobe locker, another large space, that with a simple mod, can have even more storage space:

The wardrobe on some late 2020 and the 2021 has a wider, but shorter space. With added drawer storage below.  It also has a false back, covering space used by the absorption fridge, that can be reclaimed into shelves shown above.  If you get the 3-way which is less than 1CF bigger, you do loose a lot of storage options.

This adds more storage, along with the drawer, which replaces the drawer lost in the galley, due to the relocation of the power converter to that galley area.  There is also storage under the front pax side dinette seat, and blanket/s
    bedding storage behind the driver’s side dinette back seat cushion.  Personally, I think the 2021 has more useable storage options than most trailers in this size range, including the 16-foot Bambi.  
    Cheers

• Options
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, the 2-way Danfoss compressor fridge is grand, almost 2CF, and holds a lot of food.  We packed ours formthen1-week trip, had to boondock,during part of it due to a power grid shutdown, and the solar kept the battery charged.  We didn’t go be,ow 70% charge.  So this fridge is also energy efficient, the newer Danfoss model more so than ours.  This gives you the wardrobe locker, another large space, that with a simple mod, can have even more storage space:

The wardrobe on some late 2020 and the 2021 has a wider, but shorter space. With added drawer storage below.  It also has a false back, covering space used by the absorption fridge, that can be reclaimed into shelves shown above.  If you get the 3-way which is less than 1CF bigger, you do loose a lot of storage options.

This adds more storage, along with the drawer, which replaces the drawer lost in the galley, due to the relocation of the power converter to that galley area.  There is also storage under the front pax side dinette seat, and blanket/s
    bedding storage behind the driver’s side dinette back seat cushion.  Personally, I think the 2021 has more useable storage options than most trailers in this size range, including the 16-foot Bambi.  
    Cheers

Yeah, I stumbled across that wardrobe mod and definitely think going the smaller fridge route makes sense. 

It also sounds like the solar option is worth it.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yes , yes it is.  We have the 2018 non Boondock (originally as supplied from nüCamp) withnthe solar option, and 2-way fridge.  Great combo, even in partial shade the 192-watt solar keeps the battery charged after running the fridge and Alde (on gas, but still uses some 12VDC) all night, and my mid day,the battery was back to 98% most days.  

We had a Boondock axle/wheel/tire added, so now it is a Boondock edition, complete with the larger 2031 front tub, which is additional storage for water hose, sewer hose (if needed), chocks, leveling blocks and Anderson leveler, all live in this tub, along with the propane tank.  So more outside storage.
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16

Do you feel the single propane tank is good enough? Do you feel like you’d benefit from an additional tank? We have two tanks on our tent trailer and not even sure why. It takes forever to go through a single tank.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    No, a single tank lasts us for quite a few long weekend trips, like all summer.  Some TaB 400 users get a full season of camping out of a single tank.  Just depends on the
    weather, and how much you use the Alde for heat, it is the single biggest gas use, second would be the stove.  Alde is not a heavy propane user either, compared to a fore air furnace, which would burn more.   We carry a second tank in the truck to use with a high BTU camping stove, and it lasts for six months or more of weekend use.
    cheers

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @manyman297 did you look at a Lance 1475? I like the dry bath, nice kitchen space and two chairs or couch for comfortable sitting, plus large outside storage door/pull out tray. I don't know if they offer 12v/2 way fridge? Maybe you would need a larger version for a true dinette?
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited November 2020
    Seconding @dsfdogs. Lance has the best floorplans in the industry, and quality is on par with nüCamp. For families larger than 2 people where a Tab is less ideal, or those who need more storage, they’re the only brand I’d recommend. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dsfdogs said:
    @manyman297 did you look at a Lance 1475? I like the dry bath, nice kitchen space and two chairs or couch for comfortable sitting, plus large outside storage door/pull out tray. I don't know if they offer 12v/2 way fridge? Maybe you would need a larger version for a true dinette?
    I like Lance but they feel very much like a typical RV in terms of layout. I understand the quality is great (have a friend with one) but the style and layout isn’t as unique as the T@B. 

I think we tend to like “cozy” spaces too. The problem is that cozy can also mean cramped. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    He would have to get the Slide out model to have a bed for the child.  Still no real dinette, and it only has a 3-way fridge.  Thst said, the under galley right side cabinet looks like it could hold a Norcold Cruise 2-way fridge, and rip out the three way, and turn the space into a nice ward rob or combo storage locker.

Construction seems similar to a TaB, but no Alde, and a Truma Combi forc air furnace instead.  

Another option is the Winne Mini Micro, similar to the Lance 1675, but with a side dinette.
    cheers
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Denny16 said:

Another option is the Winne Mini Micro, similar to the Lance 1675, but with a side dinette.
    cheers
    A good friend opted for a Winnie trailer. I’d say it is not on par with the better brands, though better than some.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    The new Winne models seem better built than previous models, seems Winnebago has stepped up their game, on some of their models.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The more I weigh the pros and cons the more the T@B makes sense. I do wish there was a mini Avia...like a 19’ version...I’d be game for that. But based on how we camp I think the 400 should suit us well. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Yes, I often thought nüCamp needs a trailer between the 400 and the Avia, like a TaB550 or ?
    cheers
  • Options
    tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    I removed the bathroom sink and installed a wood panel with towel bars. It increased the space in the shower. I've read NuCamp can leave the sink out if you ask.
    Love to hear how you removed the sink and maybe pictures. I find the whole sink contraption is basically worthless. The sink doesn’t drain and I hit my elbow when using the toilet. My wife “likes” it, but doesn’t actually use it. I feel like the bathroom would feel much larger without it.
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • Options
    laureltlaurelt Member Posts: 4
    We were tent campers until June 2019, when we bought Fern, our T@B 400.  We love Airstreams and vintage '50s and '60s trailers, of course, but when we saw the 400 layout, it really seemed to answer all of our needs.  Airstreams do seem darker and the rear bed is a lot narrower.  Vintage trailers don't usually have a full bathroom, which I was craving after years of tenting.
    When we arrived at the dealer to close the deal, we freaked out at how much larger the 400 seemed than the 320 - we'd never towed more than our little sailboat or a U-Haul.  We also worried that there wouldn't be enough storage.  But after a year and a half, a two-week trip and over 30 nights in Fern, we are so happy that we made this choice.  Our grown daughter has slept in the front a time or two, and it IS really cozy.  Usually it's just the two of us, and we cook outside with our old camping table and stove.  We've only ever boiled water on the interior stove because we don't want to gunk up our nice little home.
    Our improvements have included the Pahaque visor (love it!) and a friend built us an enlarged front locker, similar to the newer standard boxes.  We hardly need to put anything in the car - there is amazingly plenty of room!
    Now when I see a Bambi I smile, but don't feel the envy I used to - although those Alto trailers, with their simple design and lack of tacky supergraphics, are also appealing... same layout, lighter weight, and the bed area has more headroom.  Maybe if Fern ever needs replacing, that's where we'll look.
    Anyway Manyman297, good luck, and maybe we'll see you on the road someday!
  • Options
    laureltlaurelt Member Posts: 4
    Oh, also!  This T@B community is just fantastic!  Airstream probably is too, but I like the T@B folks.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @tphaggerty. Yes the bathroom is larger feeling without the sink unit.
    This is what you have when you remove the 

This is the 2020 and later version of the TaB400 with the square sink.  
    The factory mod without the sink does not have the PTrap or hot water pipe connection, which allows the blankwite plastic panel they cover the plumbing run with sit flush against the edge trip and plywood brace show above.

If you remove the sink, you will need to cut back and cap or cover the hot water connector and remove the PTrap connection, and cap the drain pipe.
    cheers
  • Options
    laurelt said:
    We were tent campers until June 2019, when we bought Fern, our T@B 400.  We love Airstreams and vintage '50s and '60s trailers, of course, but when we saw the 400 layout, it really seemed to answer all of our needs.  Airstreams do seem darker and the rear bed is a lot narrower.  Vintage trailers don't usually have a full bathroom, which I was craving after years of tenting.
    When we arrived at the dealer to close the deal, we freaked out at how much larger the 400 seemed than the 320 - we'd never towed more than our little sailboat or a U-Haul.  We also worried that there wouldn't be enough storage.  But after a year and a half, a two-week trip and over 30 nights in Fern, we are so happy that we made this choice.  Our grown daughter has slept in the front a time or two, and it IS really cozy.  Usually it's just the two of us, and we cook outside with our old camping table and stove.  We've only ever boiled water on the interior stove because we don't want to gunk up our nice little home.
    Our improvements have included the Pahaque visor (love it!) and a friend built us an enlarged front locker, similar to the newer standard boxes.  We hardly need to put anything in the car - there is amazingly plenty of room!
    Now when I see a Bambi I smile, but don't feel the envy I used to - although those Alto trailers, with their simple design and lack of tacky supergraphics, are also appealing... same layout, lighter weight, and the bed area has more headroom.  Maybe if Fern ever needs replacing, that's where we'll look.
    Anyway Manyman297, good luck, and maybe we'll see you on the road someday!
    We were pretty torn over the airstream for maybe a week. Then reality set in...at least 10-15k more expensive, an exterior that seems to be made of glass, a tiny bathroom...a few more things. 

I’ve had a fascination with the 400 since I first saw the European one back in 2015. I think it was meant to be.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    edited December 2020
    I removed the bathroom sink and installed a wood panel with towel bars. It increased the space in the shower. I've read NuCamp can leave the sink out if you ask.
    Love to hear how you removed the sink and maybe pictures. I find the whole sink contraption is basically worthless. The sink doesn’t drain and I hit my elbow when using the toilet. My wife “likes” it, but doesn’t actually use it. I feel like the bathroom would feel much larger without it.
    Our 2019 has a similar layout behind the sink as the 2020, though there is no P-trap.  Just hot and cold lines to cap and a drain hose to cap, which you can seen a bit on the bottom shelf that we put in.  It makes the area super functional for storage.

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Horigan, nice job on replacing the sink, looks grand.

That small drain line was the cause if the slow draining issue with the 2018/2019 TaB400 s.  This drain was omitted on our sinless build, as was the nor water line.  Thus allowed for a flush panel to cover the rest of the plumbing run, but still allow access when needed.
    cheers