Options

Refrigerator advice

Our 2way fridge in our 2018 T@B CS has died.  Any advice from the group as to 1. Should we even replace it? An 2. If so, what do you recommend? I wasn't impressed with the amount of space (or lack thereof) anyway. 
2019 T@B 320CS - "Miller"

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Is it still under warranty?  Pretty unusual for the 2 way Norcold to have problems.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    thedoolittlesthedoolittles Member Posts: 11
    No it is not under warranty.  Fridge runs,  but It won't stay cool.  I feel like the dealership we took it to was not much help either. 
  • Options
    Well, although I highly recommend an ARB, it does require modification of the galley to install.  I would look at the Isotherms.  That is what they are using in the new 320S.  The latest CSS models are still using the Norcold.  Not sure if the Isotherm will fit.

Have you checked into an authorized Norcold repair facility?
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited November 2020
    Fridge runs,  but It won't stay cool. 
    ???  It runs and cools but won't stay cold?
    Ours runs for a few minutes (2-3) every few minutes (5-10) depending on the ambient temperature.

• Options
    @thedoolittles - under what conditions will it not stay cold?  High ambient temps?  If the hatch is closed?
  • Options
    Won't stay cool means its gets warm in there and ruins our food.  I have had to throw out food on more than one occasion.  It will start to cool down but then simply quits cooling. It has done this in both very hot conditions and in cooler fall weather. I looked at the ARBs and while I agree they are very nice, I just can't justify the cost.  I could buy a new fridge for my house for that. After thinking about it,  we are going to wait for now. I will look for a Norcold repair facility. Wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.  I was honestly not very impressed with the service at the dealership.  I don't think they tried very hard to troubleshoot it. Thank you to everyone who responded.  This is a great community. 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Unless it is a simple repair, these units are built to be tossed. FYI. Also...if you think an ARB or similar is expensive, wait till you see what a replacement built in costs, especially if it’s a compressor 2 way!😬
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Good point. Thank you.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Won't stay cool means its gets warm in there and ruins our food.  I have had to throw out food on more than one occasion.  It will start to cool down but then simply quits cooling. It has done this in both very hot conditions and in cooler fall weather. I looked at the ARBs and while I agree they are very nice, I just can't justify the cost.  I could buy a new fridge for my house for that. After thinking about it,  we are going to wait for now. I will look for a Norcold repair facility. Wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.  I was honestly not very impressed with the service at the dealership.  I don't think they tried very hard to troubleshoot it. Thank you to everyone who responded.  This is a great community. 
    I wonder if it would be worth the effort to pull the fridge out of the trailer yourself to have a look at it. I think that Norcold offers a plug so that you can connect to a 110 power source so you could do some testing in your garage at home. There's so much DIY info on the web these days that maybe you could figure it yourself.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    ICECO frigs are as good as the high end ARBs but not as expensive. They both use the same compressors. My ICECO is like a tank and can get down to zero if I want. I don't use it in my T@B. I fold up half of the rear seat in my Ridgeline and keep it there and plug it into 12v on console and when we get to site I plug in outside receptable of T@B if on shore power or use 12v extension that comes with it if boondocking. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The Norcold TaB 400 fridge already has a plug on its 110VAC connection.  Just unplug this and 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2020
    With regards to whether the isotherm would fit in the CS-S...I was told no..it was too deep which would make that bed even smaller.. that's why they stayed with the Norcold.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Poche2Poche2 Member Posts: 7
    Our Norcold died for our TAB 400 after 3 years. Norcold no help. Compressor died. Would run but not cool. Ended up replacing with a Truck Fridge model that fit like a glove. Only mod was to remove the handle on drawer below the fridge.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    What fridge?  Model? Link?  Pictures of your install? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Poche2Poche2 Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    Poche2, I just saw your comments. That sounds like a great idea. The cost savings are very beneficial as well.  I'll do some measuring, but it sounds like it will work.  Did you just hardwire yours to the existing connection?
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    The Truck Fridge TF65 appears to be the exact same unit as the Isotherm in my 2021 T@B 400.
    The freezer, control knob, led light, shelves, door panel and door shelves are identical. The only thing different is the door latch/handle.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Not necessarily related but a flashback crossed my mind here. Dad used to have issues with the fridge in his early 60's Shasta trailer (yep...yellow, with wings). He'd pull it out of the cabinet, set it on the ground, flip it end-over-end a few times then reinstall it.

I thought he was just trying to stay out of the house for a while and found something nutty to do. Darn thing fired up again. I was pretty young at the time but from then on...dad was a Mr. Wizard! 

Sounds like the TF65 is a good option. Hope you get that resolved without breaking the bank. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop