Options

Charging battery at public charging stations

Hi, 

I have a 320s 2018 tab and was wondering if using public charging stations used for electric cars (and advisory recommendations) will take 30 amp plugs?  See https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_infrastructure.html#dc

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    No, these charging stations are normally 220VAC systems, and you could get fined using them on anything but a EV.  Also, they EV charging stations do a handshake communication with the vehicle, before starting to charge them.   Doubt you could even find an adapter to connect one to the TaB, and if you did, the TaB is not going to establish a handshake connection.
    So I think this is a non-starter idea.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Welcome, Babs. I don't know much about electric vehicles, but it looks from your link like there are a variety of proprietary receptacles that are very different from a standard 120V/30A RV receptacle. This may be because automotive charging stations are more than just a power outlet, but rather incorporate complex charging circuitry that works along with the vehicle's systems. Seems like a lot of variables in play.

So, I say the short answer is no (but I'm interested in hearing any alternative opinions).   
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BabsBabs Member Posts: 26
    Thank you both!  I was wondering about charging the battery on the road with available resources in case places are locked down again (COVID).  Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Babs said:
    Thank you both!  I was wondering about charging the battery on the road with available resources in case places are locked down again (COVID).  Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Generator, solar, or spend the night with full hookups every few days. Both generators and solar panels have their pros/cons, and both have a learning curve that means you need to study up before investing. I carry a tiny 900 watt propane generator as a backup power source; it probably wouldn’t run my Danby AC unit, but it’s plenty to recharge the trailer. You probably should upgrade the battery if it’s a stock group 24 wet cell, which is what most dealers provide...there are better and larger alternatives out there. Learn to conserve power, install kill switches on all parasitic drains (such as the Jensen stereo and TV, each draws power even when theoretically “off”).

There are tons of threads on here around the subject. One note: With a 2018 320s, you do have a 3 way fridge. Unless you are absolutely, 100% certain your vehicle alternator is capable of charging your trailer battery while also powering the fridge while in transit, don’t run the fridge on 12v while driving. Many vehicles are not able to compensate for that extra drain, so don’t simply assume that yours can. 

But I agree with Denny, you almost certainly can’t just recharge at an EV charging station, so you’ll need a better plan if you’re boondocking. And if you’re fulltiming right now? I’d make plans on where you intend to hunker down in the event of another shutdown. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BabsBabs Member Posts: 26
    Again, thank you.  Looks like I will be learning a great deal from contributors here.  Great insights!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    Hmmmmm:  Note to self:  Set up RV charging stations around the US.  Charge per hour.  Profit.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Fantastic entrepreneurial idea @pthomas745!!  Do all current T@B owners get grandfathered in with a 50% discount for life????   ;)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Charge per KW of power used.  More Profit!   B)
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    The secret 50 percent discount password will be "Ampersand". 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi