Options

Filtering Water

Still learning how to search on this forum.  I’m trying to find out what folks do regards filtering water.  I have a new 2021 Tab 320 CSS. I assume one can filter at the kitchen faucet, or at the intake when putting water into the tank.  What are folks doing?

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited January 2021
    I use both. Campground water isn’t guaranteed to be contaminant free, and the individual faucets can be tainted by a previous camper handling waste right before touching the faucet. 

Using an inline filter on the hose prevents sediment from entering your water system, which is important as anything that gets into your system can be difficult to remove. It might also improve taste. They generally won’t remove bacteria or viruses, nor will they remove things like heavy metals or microplastics. 
    Most pitcher based filters are similar to the inline filter in terms of what they remove (very little). I opted for Epic Water’s Nano filter pitcher, which removes all of the contaminants above, can be used to purify water that’s under boil orders, and has the lab results to back up their claims posted to their website. I use the same pitcher at home (community well water) and have been very happy with it in daily use. Others recommend the Berkey, or any of the filter systems recommended for backpackers. And some choose to carry bottled water. A few full timers I follow recommend more sophisticated undercounter systems that include UV purification, but most casual campers probably won’t get their money’s worth out of something like that.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2021
    We have installed the small Travel Berkey in our TaB400, works great, and we can use the shower to fill the tank, it just reaches.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Always ready to go!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    When “plugged in” at campgrounds we used a common whole-house canister filter which I had added a couple fittings to to allow garden hose threading.  I used the highest grade replaceable filters I could easily get at Home Depot or Lowe’s.  I used the same setup on my sailboat throughout Central America for years.
    We use our Big Berkey for filtering our potable water.  Same deal, for years, we never leave home without it.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    HoundHound Member Posts: 8
    Another vote for the Berkey. We use a Travel Berkey both at home and on the road for all drinking water. Because we live in southern Arizona, we added their arsenic filters downstream of the standard filters. Designed so the needed minerals get through. It takes 15 seconds to fill each night, and on the road we can empty it, dry it off, put it back in its travel box in about two minutes. There is considerable data available on its effectiveness. Very easy to use in your RV. Worth checking out.
  • Options
    NanabirdieNanabirdie Member Posts: 17
    I'm a newbie too, 2021TaB 320S camping at my first campground. Have been using filtered household water for anything that goes in my mouth from my host's homes while traveling, but now at the campground I hooked up the Camco Taste Pure High Capacity in-line KDF Carbon filter that I saw recommended by a lot of folks. Still haven't trusted it for drinking or cooking, but I'm confident my tanks are better protected. I think the model is 40043 which comes with the "flexible hose protector". And I use a pressure regulator too. Anyone drinking campground water with this filter? I've just been buying.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We use the blue Camco ?Taste Pure filters when we hook up at the campsite, fill our fresh tank or fill our drinking water jugs.  We don’t drink from the tank, but we do drink the filtered campground supply.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio