Options

Best battery review I’ve seen. You will be surprised.

2»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes it is, @webers3. Larger, and an almost full back so nothing will be lost. 

There was actually more room before installing the battery box, but I can still get my two small outside rugs in the tub, the wheel for the tongue Jack, and lithium spray in the tub with room to spare. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @Verna - where did you source that battery box?  It is a really nice one.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I knew someone would ask that.....I bought it from a battery company when I owned my 2014 T@B S Max. I’ll see if I can find the vender. 

It is a very thick plastic, doesn’t bend and I do believe heat will not warp it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Nice battery box Verna...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    @Verna - boy, I really hope that prices start coming down!  I've been waiting for this for quite some time now.  You would figure that with a material that is more abundant than lead that these batteries should be at least right around the same cost.

Seems to me that the costs are inflated due to the 'battery management systems' that these batteries supposedly require.  I have a battery management system on my flooded lead acid batteries.  I call it a three stage smart charger.  I get it, though, the batteries are very expensive at this time so a built in battery management system helps protect your investment...

Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, lucky for us, I have an expenditure/income app for my household purchases, and a lot for campers!

Here is the link to the dual battery box $55.11 plus shipping: https://allbatterysalesandservice.com/catalog/product/view/id/16094/s/century-plastics-heavy-duty-battery-box-holds-2-6-volt-golf-cart-batteries-gc-g/category/760/
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Here is a good explanation of how charge and discharge rates impact lithium battery life.  It appears that charging to 100% SOC is not ideal as far as battery life is concerned.  Another Will Prowse YouTube video.  Wish I had his brain!

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    @Sharon_is_SAM, lucky for us, I have an expenditure/income app for my household purchases, and a lot for campers!

Here is the link to the dual battery box $55.11 plus shipping: https://allbatterysalesandservice.com/catalog/product/view/id/16094/s/century-plastics-heavy-duty-battery-box-holds-2-6-volt-golf-cart-batteries-gc-g/category/760/
    That is a great price for a dual battery box.

My testing last summer showed me that the increased draw from the 12v fridge and going from a 130w to 105w solar panel were insufficient for more than a day or two of biondocking for me. This was with limited to no lights or other 12v consumption. 

At the end of the season, I picked up an additional 100w portable panel and a second Victron controller (75/10.) I never had a chance to test the setup before the daily solar max became too poor to test. We are far enough north and get almost all cloud cover from November to March, it seems to produce a poor solar max for months.

I realized, however, that there was also a significant drain on the batteries while I drove and my smart alternator isn't providing enough charge to keep the batteries completely full.  A DC to DC alternator could help and I may yet get that. I would have to need to have a shop install that, so, there is additional expense involved and I am not sure I love thebidea of drilling more wholes in my Jeep, especially if I need up trading this year.

After some research, I decided it was time to look at lithium. The price has come enough and enough competition has emerged to make this a viable solution.

I started with a spreadsheet comparing the specs of the major 6 or so brands. After the initial information gathering, I narrowed down to BattleBorn and Lion Energy. I am sure some of the others on my spreadsheet are good batteries, there just weren't any compelling differentiators to pull me from the two more popular brands, which featured more reviews. 

When it came to deciding between the two, it felt like I was choosing between Canon and Nikon: the differences were not significant and both would provide a good product.

I have now ordered two, 105ah of Lion Batteries (Safari 1300.) They should arrive today and will be installed in April- it might take that long for the T@b to thaw, anyway. 

I am leaning towards a converter replacement, just to make it easier to recharge fully, on the go.

I will be sure to post a follow-up of the installation and more than likely do a YouTube video about it. I recently wrote a blog post to cover battery basics and the different options people commonly choose, as well as recently did a YT video explaining the three main options people choose for off-grad power. I am hoping they will both be helpful for people trying to figure all of this out.

I use the blog and YT, because so few owners, relative to total, use this forum and although there are pro ably more on FB, there are so many groups that are dispersed to hit them all.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014