Options

Cassette Toilet dump option

Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
edited February 2021 in Tips & Tricks
While Thetford Cassette Toilets are being used more and more in US/North American market RVs, we lack the standardized cassette dump points here.  You can dump them in a standard toilet, a pit toilet, or try to get the cassette discharge pipe into a standard NA RV dump connection, designed for a 3-inch sewer hose connection, all messy and sometimes smelly options.  Some have made their own adapters to connect the cassette to a standard 3-inch RV sewer hose connected to the RV dump port.  

There may be a commercial product to connect the cassette to a standard 3-inch RV sewer port.  James at FitRV has come up with a one piece adapter to make the connection from the cassette to the 3-inch sewer hose, he calls the Americanizer, see his site: s://www.thefitrv.com/Americanizer

He also posted a video showing his adapter in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHRiCzLV2fk
cheers
2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @Denny16 ;  Thanks for the post/link
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited February 2021
    The coupler looks useful and I hope that it generates enough interest for it to be offered for sale.
    I suggested when I replied that he consider offering a kit that included the coupler and a short section of flex hose so that you did not need to drag out (and clean) your grey water hose every time you emptied the cassette. If the kit came in a waterproof but washable case, you could put things back after use if there was no fresh water easily available when you dumped things, then hose everything off later.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I think this is what the American market needs to make cassette toilets appeal to a broader audience. While it doesn’t take away the biggest issue for me personally (can’t lift more than a 1/3 full cassette, so would have to dump way more frequently), it would make the whole dumping process more mess-proof for those of us who are a bit on the klutzy side. And the less odor involved, the better!

Sure, not everyone needs it. Plenty of people are fine with cassettes as is, and it doesn’t help with dumping in toilets (flush or vault type). But for the squeamish and those who aren’t as physically able to accurately aim without the aid of a connector between dump site and cassette? I think he’ll have a market for this. And I think being able to show campground owners that you can dump the “traditional” way will lead to greater acceptance from them on RVs with cassette toilets. I’d absolutely buy one if a cassette was in my future, though ideally Thetford would come out with one that could be stored in place on the cassette spout. I’m still surprised they haven’t brought out an adapter of their own.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I did a search Victoria, and was unable to find one either.  James was also unable to locate a similar commercial product, which is why he came up with a design of his own.  I agree, an adapter like this would help cassette toilets to gain more acceptance here, until cassette dump stations are established on this side of the Pond.
    cheers
  • Options
    Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    I was just watching this video. We don't have a cassette toilet, but if we did I'd absolutely buy one of these. This would be the difference for us as to buy a camper with a cassette toilet or not. It must be easier than trying to "hit" the target when dumping. You can always fill up the cassette with clean water a couple of times to rinse the hose.
    2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Denny16 said:
    I did a search Victoria, and was unable to find one either.  James was also unable to locate a similar commercial product, which is why he came up with a design of his own.  I agree, an adapter like this would help cassette toilets to gain more acceptance here, until cassette dump stations are established on this side of the Pond.
    cheers
    Yeah, I’ve done that search previously too, and noodled on ideas for adapters myself, but not being an engineer type, nothing I came up with was anywhere near this simple. LOL 
    Actually, giving this some more thought, a device like this might even help solve my own physical limitation with the weight of a mostly full cassette. With a lightweight folding table of the right height placed at the exterior door to the cassette, pull out the cassette onto the table, hook up adapter and hose, tilt cassette to dump while letting the table support most of the weight. Not ideal, nowhere near as versatile as being able to “dump anywhere” the way most people can with cassettes...but a lot easier than the current stock cassette setup would be for me to handle. 

As with Jackie_Dave, this would open up a number of RV models I currently wouldn’t consider as they don’t offer a black tank option. Prior to this, the only way I’ve thought of to get around the weight issue that doesn’t involve dumping every day is modifying some sort of SUV dog ramp to get the cassette to the ground for dragging to the dump station.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Although I have never dumped into a sewer clean out like he did on the video, I have dumped directly at a FHU site. 

TBH, it feels like a solution in search of a problem.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    jkjenn said:
    . . . TBH, it feels like a solution in search of a problem.
    Strongly DisagreeAs I've noted before in other Cassette Toilet discussions.

I have personally visited two different RV Parks, one County and one KOA, that forbid dumping cassettes into FHU drains or the common area dump station unless a smell & leak proof connect was used
    . . . no standing over the sewage drain hole and pouring raw sewage . . .

One location sold an adapter, the other refused to rent to Cassette Toilet rigs.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    There there you go MuttonChops, you should log into James’ site and sign up, no obligation, he is just doing an interest survey at this point.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    jkjenn said:

I have personally visited two different RV Parks, one County and one KOA, that forbid dumping cassettes into FHU drains or the common area dump station unless a smell & leak proof connect was used

One location sold an adapter, the other refused to rent to Cassette Toilet rigs.
     Can someone tell this trailer newbie what a "TBH" is?
    And are campgrounds refusing to rent to those whose campers have cassette toilets really a thing?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    CharlieRN said:
    jkjenn said:

Can someone tell this trailer newbie what a "TBH" is?
    And are campgrounds refusing to rent to those whose campers have cassette toilets really a thing?
    I think your spellcheck corrected FHU to TBH. FHU: full hook up...the sewer drain at your campsite. (Edit: missed Jenn’s post.)

And yes, one disadvantage to cassettes in the US is that some careless people have already spoiled the experience for others by making a mess when dumping them in sewer drains or toilets. It’s been reported by some already that certain campgrounds have turned away campers using them (typically private campgrounds, but as MuttonChops noted, some public). I’ve personally seen signs at others where dumping is not allowed in campground bathrooms. Others have seen similar signs on vault or pit toilets...maybe due to too much waste being added too quickly? I’m not sure. 
    It’s not a widespread issue yet, just something to be aware of, but that’s one reason why even if you won’t use it routinely, this kind of adapter would be worth having in your arsenal. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    TBH is To be honest...
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:

I don't doubt your experience, but I personally have never encountered what you describe. I believe they are the exception rather the norm. 

If anyone has any doubts of how painless it is to dunp at a FHU site, I demonstrate it on my YouTube channel.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Here's something I've also been wondering about: Is the charge for using a dump station the same for a cassette as for a typical camper's black water tank?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @CharlieRN, yes it will be the same. It is likely to have a full cassette and gray tank at the same time.  If you have a Good Sam savings card, it is only $7.50 to dump any size of tank(s) at Flying J or Pilot, $10 without the savings card. And they have fresh water, too. Yes, the big guys with 100+ gallon tanks pay the same. 

The most I have paid is $25 to an RV Park, and I had to pay it because my tanks were full.

If you’re out boondocking, you can spend a night at a campground or RV park, sleep and dump your tanks plus fill up with water.  That’s really getting your money’s worth. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Denny16 said:

There may be a commercial product soon to co next the cassette to a standard 3-inch RV sewer port.  James at FitRV has come up with a one piece adapter to make the connection from the cassette to the 3-inch sewer hose, he calls the Americanizer, see his site: s://www.thefitrv.com/Americanizer

He also posted a video showing his adapter in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHRiCzLV2fk
    cheers
    What a thoughtful, yet simple design! I like that it’s such a small adapter but opens up dumping options. Even the detail of the reverse fit so it doesn’t get dirty is genius. 👍🏼
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    jebjamjebjam Member Posts: 43
    jkjenn said:

If anyone has any doubts of how painless it is to dunp at a FHU site, I demonstrate it on my YouTube channel.
    Can you share your YouTube link?   I learned the hard way not to depress the vent immediately at a dump station (my poor wife's foot...), but would like to learn any other tricks you've got.  I searched for your channel but didn't have any luck with my guesses.

Dumping our cassette toilet hasn't been too difficult a task, but I'd buy this adapter for occasional use at dump stations with a foot cover. It seems well thought out and a clean option with a little less mess risk.
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock / 2020 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Golden, CO
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I actually prefer the full hookup luxury RV resorts, and I've run into many times, where you must be fully self-contained, meaning, grey and black tanks, no porta potties, and no cassettes in order to stay there. So far, I've been able to find acceptable accommodations that will take my unit with no tanks, but if I ever get to full time like I want to, I'll have to add tanks. (Which I have in my head a plan to do so.)

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    If a RV park requires a rig to be fully self contained, meaning a way to sore waste water on board and have fresh water, battery power, etc, usually means they do not have any or full hookups.  Just a place to park and camp.  There are some of these campgrounds along parts of California highway 1, where a newer highway was built just east of the coast route, and the old part cut off, except for access points to the camp sites.  Some of these roughing it sites have a porti potty setup and allow tent camping.  Fees are quite reasonable, less than $25 a night. 
    Cheers

• Options
    Denny16 said:
    If a RV park requires a rig to be fully self contained, meaning a way to sore waste water on board and have fresh water, battery power, etc, usually means they do not have any or full hookups.  Just a place to park and camp.  There are some of these campgrounds along parts of California highway 1, where a newer highway was built just east of the coast route, and the old part cut off, except for access points to the camp sites.  Some spoof these roughing it sites have a porti potty setup and allow tent camping.  Fees are quite reasonable, less than $25 a night. 
    Cheers

That is true in some cases, but the ones I've run into are deluxe full hookup resorts.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    If a RV park requires a rig to be fully self contained, meaning a way to sore waste water on board and have fresh water, battery power, etc, usually means they do not have any or full hookups.  Just a place to park and camp.  There are some of these campgrounds along parts of California highway 1, where a newer highway was built just east of the coast route, and the old part cut off, except for access points to the camp sites.  Some spoof these roughing it sites have a porti potty setup and allow tent camping.  Fees are quite reasonable, less than $25 a night. 
    Cheers

That is true in some cases, but the ones I've run into are deluxe full hookup resorts.
    I spent 65 nights in my 2021 T@b with the cassette toilet last year. 21 nights in regular commercial RV parks, 23 nights on public lands, 3 nights overnight parking, 4 nights moochdocking and 13 nights in KOAs. I found more options for emptying the black tank, not less. I was never denied camping due to a cassette toilet, but once for length of trailer (too short), at Tiger Run in Breckenridge, CO.

You will always run into places that won't allow you for different things: size, age of trailer, age of campers, dogs, breed of dogs, not fully contained, cassette, porta-potty, etc. I have found them to be the exception, not the norm.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    That has been my experience too, Jenn.  

@Mouseketab, a full hookup resort RV facility with full hookups, requiring your rig to be fully self contained makes no sense, unless they are trying to keep the small cabin looking park models out.

we have two resort type RV parks, with full hookups along the Noyo River, and they allow the small park model RVs, which are not self contained at all.  My 1958 Kenskill trailer was a Vacation Mobil Home unit, it was a full 8-feet wide by 28-feet long, and was not self contained, required full hookups.  It was designed to be located in a resort RV facility or setup as a semi permanent vacation cabin.  
    It was not a travel trailer, too heavy, no holding tanks.  Sounds like today, I would be hard pressed to find a RV facility that would accept it.  I had it fully restored to new looking condition back in the 70s when I used it to live in whilst in college.  Back then, I had no issue setting it up at several Resort type parks in San Diego, one high end park in Mission Valley.
    cheers
  • Options
    https://www.rt66rvresort.com/rules/

Incoming RV’s, motorhomes and travel trailers must be in good condition and self-contained.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/laughlin/?utm_source=campgroundreviews.com&utm_campaign=RVLife_Campgrounds&utm_medium=referral

SELF CONTAINED units only. Pool: Open all year. Max pull thru: 90 feet.

Please Note: We do not allow Tent Camping or Pop-Up Tent Trailers that do not have sewer connections. To stay in our campground you have to be fully self-contained (you must be able to hook up to water, electric & sewer.)

Here are two parks. Full hookups, but require self-contained units.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    . . .

Please Note: We do not allow Tent Camping or Pop-Up Tent Trailers that do not have sewer connections. To stay in our campground you have to be fully self-contained (you must be able to hook up to water, electric & sewer.)

So at places with this kind of requirement, campers like the new 320 with a cassette toilet are not allowed?
    @jkjenn said that in her experience, places with exclusionary policies like those restricting cassette toilets were the exception - is that sentiment widely held? Or is it becoming more common for campgrounds like KoA's to refuse to allow campers with cassette toilets?
  • Options
    CharlieRN said:
    . . .

So at places with this kind of requirement, campers like the new 320 with a cassette toilet are not allowed?
    @jkjenn said that in her experience, places with exclusionary policies like those restricting cassette toilets were the exception - is that sentiment widely held? Or is it becoming more common for campgrounds like KoA's to refuse to allow campers with cassette toilets?
    FYI, more and more Class B's are using cassette toilet's, too. I don't think it is becoming more common. 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I wonder when they say “self contained” if they basically mean they don’t want outside privy tents cluttering up the view.  Clearly the Route66 resort will deny pop ups and home made trailers due to the aesthetics.  It is unclear if they would reject a cassette as defined here:  “Self-contained vehicle waste storage tanks must have the outlet plugged except when a sewer connection is available.”   To me, it sounds like they don’t want gray water on the ground.  I will try to contact them.

I sent the Laughlin KOA an email with the TaB nuCamp website to inquire about this:  “Please Note: We do not allow Tent Camping or Pop-Up Tent Trailers that do not have sewer connections. To stay in our campground you have to be fully self-contained (you must be able to hook up to water, electric & sewer.)”
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    corunnercorunner Member Posts: 26
    Ok, there is a sewer connection (gray tank) that meets the requirement. It's hard for me to believe the poop police would swoop in if you remove that connection for the 5 min it would take to empty the cassette into the same hose and then reconnect to the gray tank.

Has anyone experienced the poop police cracking down on this practice? Or been turned away at check-in due to a trailer inspection that revealed a cassette was present?
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Mouseketab...that was our experience last year when we visited the in-laws in Laughlin last year, we had a T@g back then...we ended up staying in Lake Mead National Park on the Arizona side, they were more than obliging, it was actually a marina..."Kat's Landing"...older quaint rv park. It was actually our first experience at staying in a National Park with immenties, laundry too. Would rather stay on that side of the Colorado River. I do think that some RV Parks have had some bad experiences.. it's their park so they have the right to serve "select" clientele..will be interesting in the future as @jkjenn says as class B's are equipped with cassettes.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM good call. I have always considered a 320 with a bathroom 'self-contained." The truth is if they forbid dumping a cassette, you could just dump after you leave.