Options

Using a Jackery or Goal Zero 1500x as shore power

corunnercorunner Member Posts: 26
(Titled edited for search purposes.  Moderator)

I thought I had read somewhere that this was not a good idea, but I can't find it.  Just brainstorming ideas and would be interested in any and all perspectives.

I plan to boondock in my 320s BD (arriving this Friday) for 4-6 days at a time.  Mainly out west where the sun is plentiful.  I was wondering if I had (2) 100w panels charging a GZ 1500x and then plugged in my 320s into the 1500x via an adapter, could I run electrical (no AC or heavy usage) off the 1500x and use the 110 outlets inside (mainly charge a laptop or other small stuff)?

I'll add that I'd also have a stock battery connected to the stock solar panel, so I suppose the 1500x would also trickle charge the stock battery if shore power was plugged in?

I believe I could get a 200Ah LiFePO4 battery, inverter, and solar panels for a little less - and accomplish the same thing, but curious to hear any thoughts of using a Goal Zero 1500x in this way.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    These type of solar generators generally have an open neutral ground plug. If you are using an EMS (which I strongly recommend), it won't work to connect to the 30 amp outlet like shore plug. I even tried an adapter like you would use with a generator with my Yeti 1000 and no dice.

You can connect the Yeti to a smart charger and trickle charge the T@b battery by connecting directly to the battery. 

If someone else has found a way to get this to work as shore power, I would love to know about it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2021
    To use the outlets inside the trailer...something has to be putting out 120 volts.  (I might be wrong....!)  A generator, or a shore power connection. A Goal Zero or any of the so called "solar generators," are still just 12v batteries.  Not "generators" in any sense of the word.  If you are on shore power, your trailer's converter will probably do a better job of charging the trailer's battery.
    Wait to get your trailer and see how the stock battery solar work for  your plan.  You may need a small inverter that will plug into your 12V plugs inside the trailer to run your laptop and "small stuff."  I do that all the time, with a stock 80 amp hour battery and a 100 watt panel.  I also carry a small 30 amp hour battery and use the inverters on it, also. 
    Does you new trailer have installed solar?  What fridge will you be using?  The fridge power use (if not the 3 way fridge) will be your biggest power draw.
    Someone else may have a better perspective on how the GZ might tie in.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Yes, the new 2021 trailer has the stock solar roof panel and the newer 2 way fridge.  And I completely agree that I have a lot of testing in my future.

The GZ 1500x has a "120V AC Inverter: 120VAC 60Hz, 16.5A (2000W, 3500W surge) (output, pure sine wave)" and claims to be able to run some beefy electrical equipment (circular saws, etc).  This is why I was thinking it could act as shore power.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    Well...today I learned....here is one example of doing what you want to try.  Kinda convoluted...but...

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 - thanks for the link.  There's some helpful info in there and probably could have saved this post.  The inside wiring is a bit convoluted indeed.

My thought was to arrive at campsite, plug the trailer into the GZ, put out the suitcase panels while connecting them to the GZ, and be done.

Security and weather is an important consideration.  The panels would be secured via a security cable to the frame.  The GZ would be housed in one of those nifty diamond plated utility platform boxes that everyone seems to be getting (or something like it).  I'd drill a smallish hole in the back or bottom to be able to run the trailer power and security cable through.

@VictoriaP - I get your point about having everything installed so setup/teardown is simple and worry-free.  That's what I'm trying to get at with this idea.  The GZ affords the option to use in other non-camping situations.  I also like that it is all self-contained (inverter, solar converter, battery monitor, etc) and I don't have to buy/manage those separately.  
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited February 2021
    corunner said:
    @pthomas745 - thanks for the link.  There's some helpful info in there and probably could have saved this post.  The inside wiring is a bit convoluted indeed.

My thought was to arrive at campsite, plug the trailer into the GZ, put out the suitcase panels while connecting them to the GZ, and be done.

Security and weather is an important consideration.  The panels would be secured via a security cable to the frame.  The GZ would be housed in one of those nifty diamond plated utility platform boxes that everyone seems to be getting (or something like it).  I'd drill a smallish hole in the back or bottom to be able to run the trailer power and security cable through.

@VictoriaP - I get your point about having everything installed so setup/teardown is simple and worry-free.  That's what I'm trying to get at with this idea.  The GZ affords the option to use in other non-camping situations.  I also like that it is all self-contained (inverter, solar converter, battery monitor, etc) and I don't have to buy/manage those separately.  
    Having everything in one package is convenient...until a component dies and cannot be easily replaced, if at all. The built in inverter is the most likely candidate to fail, as inverters in general seem very prone to do. We have people here who’ve gone through multiple inverters over the course of just a few years. 
    Use in non camping situations is actually why I have a GZ at all, and yes, for that it’s very useful. But if it died tomorrow? I could replace it with a home built setup that did everything it does, with 100% user replaceable components, and likely for the same or less money. Probably wouldn’t be quite as pretty or as compact, but I could get it pretty close.

Using the inverter function will cost you some usable battery capacity. As I understand it, there is always some loss in powering the inverter and to the actual conversion process. So definitely add that into your calculations.
    If money isn’t an issue, having the ability to use it outside of camping is a high priority, and you don’t care that it’s perhaps less capable than upgrading the onboard setup with that same money would be? Yes, it’s doable. There are also similar “solar generators” that may be less expensive or a better fit than the GZ, it’s worth investigating what’s out there. Much like Apple or Samsung, you do pay a premium for the GZ name, and equally reliable products with better features can exist at the same or lower price points. (I say this as an Apple owner! LOL)

One side note, be sure to add keeping it charged at home into your plans. Maybe it’s just mine, but I find it drains even when theoretically “off” much quicker than any other battery pack in the house, lithium or sealed lead acid. There seems to be some sort of parasitic draw going on with those components that I don’t see with my big car jump pack (which has all the same functions).
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I recently purchased a GZ 1500X and two 100w foldable Rockpals solar panels and wondered, too, what would happen if I plugged my T@b in. Haven’t gone out to the storage unit to try it. I’m sure it would be more energy efficient to just have it in the trailer and plug what I need in directly. I mostly bought it to have reliable power for my Dometic cooler while traveling. I also want to see if it will run the AC for a short time, just to help bring the temp down after sunset. In theory it should. It takes me two days to drive from TX to AZ to see family and I usually end up at a rest stop with no power for the night. 
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    I recently bought a jackery 1000 and plan on trying this as well come spring time.  It has a 1000 watt inverter with 2000 watt surge on it.  I also have the two saga 100 watt solar panels.  It's more out of curiosity, we're electric misers when we camp and conserve it religiously, but I think will also be a nice back up if our battery does runs low.  Also would be convenient to use the all the outlets in the trailer to plug chargers or what not into.  We went with a second portable system vs a more robust permanent trailer system as we plan on using the jackery primarily when we overland in our truck.  It offers more flexibility for us.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    I have the Battle Born lithium in my trailer and bought a GZ1000 lithium. I too had the idea to plug the trailer into the GZ to recharge, but someone here said it would be more efficient to use a separate battery charger attached directly to the battery. I have the Noco 10amp. I don't yet have solar. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    mine works just fine with the tab. I just attach adapter to the tab power cord and plug it into the 115 volt ac plug on the Goal Zero yeti. It ran the window ac as well, but it would not be for long and that is not what I use it for.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    These type of solar generators generally have an open neutral ground plug. If you are using an EMS (which I strongly recommend), it won't work to connect to the 30 amp outlet like shore plug. I even tried an adapter like you would use with a generator with my Yeti 1000 and no dice.

You can connect the Yeti to a smart charger and trickle charge the T@b battery by connecting directly to the battery. 

If someone else has found a way to get this to work as shore power, I would love to know about it.
    Hi Jenn, the yeti from goal zero does not have an open ground like a gas generator generally does. I do not use the surge protector between yeti and tab. I just plug the tab cord into 3 prong 15 amp plug adapter that then plugs into the yeti. I leave the goal zero in the covered bed of my truck. I ran the AC on the 2016 CS I had. I have not tried the ac on the 2021 because it is still too cold in central texas to kick it on. But next week we will see 83 degrees so I will try it then. Wish you well

• Options
    sorry I meant to say yeti does not have floating neutral like a gas generator
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited February 2021
    This set-up is another option for extending boondocking stay, and powering the 110v outlets in your T@B if you don't have an inverter. Thanks @Tabnero for providing real experience with this type of set-up.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    Just piping up because I camp with both an internal battey and a Yeti 400 that both charge off solar panels. I use each battery as a separate system. Keeping them separate gives me more watt hours in total, I think.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I also do the same with the Yeti GZ Olena, I use the GZ as a separate system to augment my TaB system, and get 12VDC where I need it.  I have a small 150 watt unit, works well to power small outdoor lights, run our cell phone booster (until I get a dedicated 12VDC plug installed for it).  Comes in handy when you want light at an outside picnic table area.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited February 2021
    If I were in the market for a GZ 1500x right now, I think I’d be giving some serious research time to the EcoFlow Delta 1300. It has a significant advantage over all the competition in that it can recharge to 80% via wall power or generator in just a few hours, which I can see being useful for recharging while on longer boondocking trips. My GZ 400 lithium takes a good chunk of the day to recharge if deeply discharged, and from other reviews I’ve seen, the 1500x takes a very long time to recharge even on wall power.

That said, the Delta apparently is also significantly noisier due to their fan system.

https://generatorgrid.com/reviews/ecoflow-delta-1300/

Edit: to be clear, this isn’t a recommendation, just something I came across a while back. It’s intriguing, but I haven’t done a head to head comparison. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    @VictoriaP - Thanks for sharing the EcoFlow, it looks very interesting and much more aggressively priced ($1400) than the GoalZero.  For completeness, you can buy a 600W fast charger for the GZ1500X which drops your recharge time down to 3 hours, but that adds another $200 to the pricey $2000 unit.  If anyone has experience with the EcoFlow Delta, please chime in!
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    If GZ is your brand of choice, there is a new, cheaper model (1000x) coming out this spring.  It's an intriguing, less expensive model with lower specs - but those specs may be right for the needs of some.  GZ doesn't have much on their website, but I did find more detail here.

https://www.solar-electric.com/goal-zero-yeti-1000x-portable-power-station.html
  • Options
    costco was selling the gz yeti 1000 last year for $900
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    One way to take the bite out of the high price tag of the 1500x: If you're not already an REI member, when you join, you get a coupon code for 20% off any single item. I used my coupon towards my 1500x and saved $400!  B)
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    kennethrmccallkennethrmccall Member Posts: 3
    Ecoflow River Pro is on sale at Costco.com right now
  • Options
    SilverFox2021SilverFox2021 Member Posts: 9
    If you are Off Grid for multiple days and you have no shore power, can you plug your trailer into a Jackary 1000 for your lights, fans and pumps? I already have the JAckary and am hoping that I might be able to use it for boondocking purposes? Thanks 
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 449
    That has been covered before, yes you can use one of these portable power sources to power the trailer. It's not the most cost efficient or energy efficient (convert battery DC to AC in the Jackery and then AC to DC in the trailer) compared to just using a second battery.