Options

Water pump repair

Looks like I may have to pull out my water pump.

On city water with a regulator the freshwater tank filled.  Second time it did this, but on my last trip it didn’t do it.

So no big deal, turned off city water and was going to use the pump.  It worked twice then stopped pumping.

Maybe a clogged filter but a casual look and I didn’t see one.

Pump looks easy enough to remove but here is my main question.

Can the access door be removed easily so I don’t have to hold it up while working on the pump?  I see a couple of the infamous square head screws on each end of the door.  
2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
Tampa FL

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Tampakayaker, you could use some masking (or similar) tape to hold it up temporarily.  One of these days, I might add some magnets to that door to hold it open, like I did with the door to my outside storage compartment (see photo below.)  I purchased the magnets on Amazon.  (Special thanks to @VictoriaP for the idea.  Works great!)

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @bayliss Love that decal!!!

@Tampakayaker As Bayliss noted, I did put similar magnets in the bath as well as on the exterior compartment to hold both doors open. Others have completely removed the door and frame when needed...in a few cases, flipping the whole setup upside down when reinstalling so the door drops down instead of lifting up. Another way to secure the compartment door found in the bath in a pre-2021 320 is to get a tension curtain rod that fits in the space. Pressure fit the rod above or below the door, then raise the door and move the rod up against it to snug it against the wall. Tighten rod ends to secure.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    VictoriaP said:
    @bayliss Love that decal!!!

@Tampakayaker As Bayliss noted, I did put similar magnets in the bath as well as on the exterior compartment to hold both doors open. Others have completely removed the door and frame when needed...in a few cases, flipping the whole setup upside down when reinstalling so the door drops down instead of lifting up. Another way to secure the compartment door found in the bath in a pre-2021 320 is to get a tension curtain rod that fits in the space. Pressure fit the rod above or below the door, then raise the door and move the rod up against it to snug it against the wall. Tighten rod ends to secure.
    So no easy way to just take the door off the frame?
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    So I tried to take the door off the frame.  Took out a screw and a plastic plug.  Door slid right out and hit the wall.  Put everything back together and switched to plan B.  4 pieces of blue painters tape held it open.

First thing I discovered, I didn’t have an in-line strainer filter.

Pulled the pump out and took it to the screen room for disassembly.  Used some documents I found on line.  Found quite a few white plastic shavings stuck in various places.  Picked most out with tweezers then flushed/washed all the parts until I couldn’t find any more. 

Went and added water to the tank and used a shop vac to get anything else out.

Put everything back together turned on the pump and had pressure and no leaks.  And the pump actually shut off when reaching pressure, something it never did.

Now for the real test.  Turned off the pump, hooked up city water with a regulator and everything was quiet!  Has been hooked up for over an hour and the fresh water hasn’t gained any water.

So looks like I fixed a couple of problems.

And I just ordered the Shurflo in line strainer/filter.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @Tampakayaker - was that the first time cleaning the filter?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    @Tampkayaker, were you missing the entire filter unit (which looks like a small cup with a clear screw-on cap) or just the little screen that goes inside the cup? 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    There was no filter unit on the pump at all.  White hoses we’re screwed directly onto the inlet and outlet of the pump.

Im thinking that the shop vac didn’t suck up enough water. When I first ran the pump it shut off after running.  When I flushed the toilet I noticed black/brown flecks coming out.  Then it was coming out of the kitchen faucet.  Now the pump runs and doesn’t shut off.  Thinking it might’ve sucked up crap and is keeping it from pressurizing. Filter arrives Thursday so I’ll wait to try the pump after it’s installed.
    Tampa FL