Expectations for winter 2021 Tab 320 BD order?

Hi,
I appreciate the forum and love reading everything folks have shared. I am preparing to place an order for a '21 Tab 320 BD, but I am a little wary of manufacturing constraints right now. I do not mind waiting, but...
  1. What is the build quality like these days of Tab 320s coming from the manufacturer? Any noticeable increase in problems due to supply chain and/or the realities of NuCamp manufacturing right now (covid/winter 2021).
  2. I've been seeing recent posts of Alde heat circulation problems. Is this common, a new issue, or ?
  3. What can I expect right now in terms of the availability of options/customizations done by NuCamp (Austin's team)? 
Is now a "bad time" to buy a Tab? (For reasons other than the demand and price trend.)

2022 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock

Comments

• B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    edited February 2021
    Just an FYI ........
    I just heard from my NuCamp dealer , that NuCamp has told all dealers NOT to take any more orders for the time being. Apparently they are so backed up , they are saying a lot of the recently ordered units will not even be delivered until at least August-September ! 
    I would not be worried about quality control issues with NuCamps backlog . A lot of other RV  manufactures .......YES ! NuCamp .......not at all . They are backed up for a reason . They do not skimp on quality to "get the units out the door"  .  

Recent quote from my dealer .......

"We were informed by our NuCamp Sales Rep that we are to hold until further notice on taking any new customer trailer orders for T@Gs and T@Bs. Currently the factory is completely jam packed with orders and are currently booked out through mid August. Once we are permitted to starting taking orders again, please be aware that the timeframe for getting a new trailer would be mid September at the earliest. Thank you for understanding during this difficult season."
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    That wouldn't surprise me. The RV industry is expecting another 20% increase in new RV sales this year. 

I think the best bet is to ask your dealer when your unit will be done. I think there is probably a difference between actual customer orders and RV dealer inventory orders. If someone wants a T@b for this season and hasn't already ordered one, I would look at your local dealer's inventory. If they don't have them, I would probably look at some of the larger dealers who carry inventory, like Hadocey in Columbus, OH, Princess Craft in Round Rock, TX, and Tom's Camperland in AZ.

The factory no longer does customizations. If you want a special color, you could always get a wrap done, locally. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited February 2021
    ybakos said:
    Hi,
    I appreciate the forum and love reading everything folks have shared. I am preparing to place an order for a '21 Tab 320 BD, but I am a little wary of manufacturing constraints right now. I do not mind waiting, but...
    1. What is the build quality like these days of Tab 320s coming from the manufacturer? Any noticeable increase in problems due to supply chain and/or the realities of NuCamp manufacturing right now (covid/winter 2021).
    2. I've been seeing recent posts of Alde heat circulation problems. Is this common, a new issue, or ?
    3. What can I expect right now in terms of the availability of options/customizations done by NuCamp (Austin's team)? 
    Is now a "bad time" to buy a Tab? (For reasons other than the demand and price trend.)

@ybakos - I think it is a testament to nuCamp's quality that they are taking their time building our campers in an environment of crazy, high demand.  They aren't cutting corners.  They are dealing with supply issues just like other manufacturers. The corporate philosophy respects the family lives of their Amish workers and they do not force them to work excessive hours like other companies in the RV industry.  They care very much about quality and having a rested workforce is a key part.  So, let them take their time as there are less human errors that way.  

Remember that although many TaBs are custom ordered, nuCamp also fills dealer bulk orders for their lots and those TaBs will also be available for purchase in the near future.  There are also units currently available for purchase at various dealers lots.  

Lastly, no manufacturer would discourage any dealer from placing an order!  I do suspect that some dealers may tell you that in order to encourage you to buy one of their $$$$ colossal motor homes!  

In any industry there will always be some quirks that need to be worked out.  Any time something new is added, it takes time to master the new equipment.  Having said that, nuCamp has a warranty repair rate of about 1% - that is very low.

So, the Alde heat circulation issues is a recent discussion on 3 of the 400 reported on the forum.  It has happened after the propane tank was changed.  It does not seem widespread.  Keep in mind, we tend to fixate on the negative issues and forget that there are thousands of units out there that owners are using daily without problem.

Regarding the post-production customizations done by Austin's team (done after the camper is off the factory floor) - it would be helpful if you can describe what it is you want done.  They will install extra solar, controllers, battery monitors, toilet shut off valves, platforms, new tubs, different fans, extra outlets, etc.  All of this must be communicated to your ordering dealer who should confirm what nuCamp can and will do.

Hope this helps.  I would not hesitate ordering from nuCamp again.  We still feel like we won the lottery with our CSS.  They continue to stand behind their product.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    edited February 2021

Lastly, no manufacturer would discourage any dealer from placing an order!  I do suspect that some dealers may tell you that in order to encourage you to buy one of their $$$$ colossal motor homes!  

Just to add some clarity to this - 
    This statement is coming from a moderately large NuCamp ONLY dealer , that has nothing left on their lot to sell . No other RV manufactures are represented by this dealer , no big colossal motor homes , nothing but NuCamp products .......... and they are completely out of them on the lot . I have seen around 50 NuCamps on their lot at any given time ......... till the Covid RV craze hit . Now they have nothing left and were told by NuCamp to hold off on orders because NuCamp has a huge back log . 
    Perhaps NuCamp is favoring some of the colossal high volume dealers like Princess Craft , Hadocey, Beckleys , etc and telling this to the “not so colossal” dealers to hold off ??? That may be .............
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The few issues reported here only represent a small number of the trailers that have been recently built since the first of the year.  You onlynhearmabout the few problems some folks are having, and not much from the 100s or new TaB owners that are not having issues.  Like previously reported, only about 1-2% of the units built have warranty issues in the first six months.

Ask your dealer to be on his waiting list, in case he/she gets a new TaB in that is not spoken for, or from a previously ordered unit someone changes their mind on.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2021
    Not sure what the "normal" wait time is but we ordered our 320 BD in early September and were recently told that it would be built sometime this month and ready for delivery in March. The factory definitely has some challenges, not the least of which are supply chain issues. Ours may or may not come with the Yakima rack and the dealer is not certain which cassette toilet it will arrive with. Hopefully build quality is not adversely impacted by the high demand.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    Ordered mine early January from a dealer who had an order in, one was not taken. Due mid-May, dealer not interested in post-production mods due to delay in shipping whole order
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I ordered my 320 in June of last year and received it the first week of November. Patience is a virtue, and I wanted everything to be done correctly. I’ve only slept in it once, it is not organized, but I’ll be camping in it soon enough. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Ordered mine in early December and should be getting it late Feb/early Mar...but I suspect it will be longer as my dealer told me they were expecting some cirrus 620s a couple of weeks ago and hadn’t received them as of earlier this week. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    To everyone considering a t@b purchase. The posted and also unexpected delays are just part of what goes on, and have been for years. I put a deposit down and ordered a t@b on Dec 1, 2015. My dealership took delivery on May 11, 2016, with us picking up our t@b on May 14, 2016. I  specifically ordered my trailer during the winter "slack" time and before the spring rv shows revved the season up. That being said, the 5½ month long wait was sooooo worth it. As is said, A N T C I P A T I O N makes it all worth the effort, and that is part of the process. Except for raising our grand nephews for 13 years, the t@b purchase was the absolute best choice we ever made in our lives! It changed what we had envisioned as our future. We would do it all over again. Happy past, present, and best of all, future t@bbing to every member of  this family and forum. -Jim and Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I saw an add on FB this morning by NU Camp looking for qualified CNC machine operators.  These positions were for 2nd and 3rd shift! Quality Products And Service!!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @atlasb, that is good news because that means that nüCamp is back to three shifts!  They had to stop the off-hours shifts because of Covid, and had to be closed for a few weeks last year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Travels with Delaney have a great video for those considering purchasing a new RV and talk about the supply issues and what three different dealers have told them.

https://youtu.be/NYI1xwACnCc

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ybakosybakos Member Posts: 46
    Just circling back to share my experience. Ordered a 2022 Tab 320 CSS in September 2021, received in March 2022.

Build quality looks very, very good, and I am pretty nitpicky when spending so much money. :smile:

My only broken expectations are:
    • Some mismatched wood paneling on cabinetry, where some were _very_ dark compared to the rest. Dealer was already aware, proactive and ordered necessary replacements.
    • Alignment of cabinet doors not quite perfect, sometimes rubbing. Easily adjusted by me, I am sure.
    • Screen door on backorder but will arrive eventually. No big deal.
    Looks like a really solid build and we are excited by the NuCamp product, dealer check and prep, and the whole experience.

2022 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Where are we at today?  

We purchased our 320 BD here in Mesa, AZ last week, a new arrival.  It had no front window screen nor door screen, but I insisted they be installed before purchase.  They took them off another.

Checking dealer inventory, they have six 320 BD's available on site.  No 400's but some coming in.

Doug K
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona