Options

ALDE 3020 not working on house current

Looking for some suggestions as to why the ALDE heat is not staying on when connected to 120V house current.  It runs perfectly fine on propane.  It will run for about 5 minutes before shutting off when connected to house current.  The breakers/GFCI connected to the house current plug are not tripping. I have the control panel set to 1 kW, night and day automation are off, thermostat is set 10 degrees higher than inside TAB temperature. I have alternated between gas and electricity as my priority setting, and this did not help. 

I have tried the suggestions given too Verna from Creed in a 11/2018 discussion: “ As far is it not working on electricity - could you check to make sure you have had your Hot Water setting in the middle selection? If you have it on empty there will be no hot water or heat (not sure why its even an option), and when you have it on boost mode (full shower bar) it will only heat hot water and not heat the trailer cabin.” Trying this did not help. 

2020 TAB 320 U
Thank you for any suggestions

2020 TAB 320 U
TV 2022 Highlander

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Did the Alde run on 120v before now?  Are you using a surge protector?  Have you measured the voltage getting to the Alde?  Does everything else work when on 120v?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 132
    Yes, it has run reliable on 30 amp camp service and using both camp site and home 120V power. 
    I do have  a surge protector, a PI EMS HW30C. The control panel reads: 117-124 watts, 60 Hz, 0 A and 0 E when plugged into 120V house power and nothing on in the TAB. When I tell ALDE to use electric power and it is running, the control panel reads: 113-115 watts, 60 Hz, 7 A and 0 E.  After about 5 minutes you hear the ALDE click off and the control panel reverts back to: 117-124 watts, 60 Hz, 0 A and 0 E.   

The only other 120V appliance I have tried is the refrigerator and it works. I have not tried the 120 outlets in the TAB. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    @Freespirit - have you tried running the system on both AC and LPG?
    Maybe try bypassing the EMS and see what happens.  
    Thermostat issue?  Have you calibrated the thermostat?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAM, We have tried running Alde on both AC and LPG but the EMS is indicating 0 AMPS under this scenario. Alde is working under this scenario but the EMS is indicating Alde is using LPG ONLY(0 AMPS). We have changed priority to: electric only, electric prioritized over LPG. The Alde will not run when set to electric only(EMS shows 0 AMPS). Electric over LPG, Alde runs but it is running on LPG (EMS SHOWS 0 AMPS). 

Have not tried bypassing the EMS, I will try that next. 

Thermostat is working and offset has been set. We have a stand alone thermometer placed in the TAB and it is in agreement with the temperature reading in the Alde screen. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2021
    @Freespirit, I am not clear on where you are obtaining your power readings from.  Are they from the Alde control panel (which operates on 12V power), or the EMS remote digital display?  If they are from the EMS display, that confirms power to the trailer, but not necessarily power making it to the Alde.

Have you checked to confirm that the electrical plug connected to the Alde is securely plugged in?  Maybe it came loose at some point.  If it is loose, I recommend that you secure it similar to how is depicted in the photo of mine below.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2021
    @Freespirit. What size power cable are you using to dimmest your TaB to the house 120VAC connection, and how many amps is the house connection 15 or 20 amps?  If you are using the standard 15-amp house connection and a small 14 or 16 gauge ext. cord, you are getting voltage drop in the line after a 20-foot run, and perhaps the Alde is getting a brown out situation and shutting down.  You need at least a 12 gauge 20 amp rated ext cord, or better yet use a 30amp RV ext power cord between the TaB and the house plug.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Bayliss, the power reading is coming from the EMS remote digital display.  Alde is getting power because it does run for a short period of time (~ 5 min) before shutting off. I am going to zip tie the plug as you suggested, thanks for the picture. 

Denny16 house connection is 15 AMPS, but when the Alde is running the EMS indicates it is pulling about 7 AMPS. Based on your analysis of the extension cord I am way under the appropriate gauge, using a 16 gauge cord over a 30 foot run, I am definitely going to upgrade to a 12 gauge 20 AMP rated extension cord. Thanks for the suggestion!  

Here is an update based an additional scenarios I tried:

This seems to have solved my issue, (don’t understand why)but the Alde has been on house 120VAC current for 48 hours without going off. 

On the Alde panel I only turned the electric option on to 1Kw, gas option is off and no priority set. Then I physically turned off the LPG tank at the valve. I have tried this sequence before(Alde went off), with the exception of physically turning the gas off at the tank. Alde has been on all day. I have not physically turned the LPG back on at the tank valve to see what happens. That will have to wait until the weather warms up

Thanks to everyone for the time and effort to respond to my post. 
    Cheers!!
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    kdawgkdawg Member Posts: 26
    Help! My alde is also not working in house electric. We have a 2018 Tab csS. It worked last night then this morning it stopped. I tried running it with propane and house electric. We also had it dewinterized two days ago but as I said it worked last night but not this morning. I read in the drum to unplug and completely disconnect power and then restore the panel to reset. I’ve done that but still no heat. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    kdawg said:
    . . .  a 2018 Tab csS. It worked last night then this morning it stopped.
    . . . tried running it with propane and house electric.
    . . . [did] completely disconnect power and then restore the panel to reset. . . . but still no heat.
    Can you provide more details for "still no heat" - - -
      Does the control panel turn-on?
      What does it show?  {you might have turned off the heating sources}
      Do/did you heard the pump running (or the propane burner) ?
      Does "house power" mean 120VAC power from a pedestal or similar source?
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @kdawg - please turn off the Alde, then check the house breaker for the circuit that you are plugged into.  If it is a GFCI, reset it.  Then check the TaB converter/fuse box and see if the main circuit tripped and check the circuit for the Alde.  Lastly, check the fuses - are any lit up indicating a blown fuse?  Finally, check the fuses on the top of the Alde.  
    Always remember to turn off the Alde before disconnecting power - that will prevent a future surge when you next connect to shorepower.  And check to make sure the Alde is plugged in under the bench.

Also, are you using a surge protector?