Options

Honda 2200 generator usage - 2018 model 320

We plan to purchase a Honda eu2200i generator to recharge interstate deep cycle arm-24 battery when campsite does not have shore power. I have read so many different processes reading the battery/battery charger websites. What is the most effective process to recharge the battery in the shortest time span? Or are there so many variables that there is not a standard best solution?
1. Do I purchase a battery charger and hook the generator to the battery charger and then to the battery? Does recharge time depend on the wattage of the battery charger?
2. Hook the generator to the camper and let the “shore power process” recharge the battery?

not that it should impact the solution, but our generator will be powered by propane.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated! It just seems like there are a lot of different solutions with different products. Maybe I am missing something 

thanks

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 493
    Charging your battery fast from a generator is problematic.  The fundamental hurdle is that deep-cycle wet lead acid batteries do not like to be charged fast.  Typically, a charge current of 10 Amps maximum is recommended.  I'm guessing your battery is an interstate deep cycle srm-24, which has a 75 Ah capacity.  If you want to recharge it when half depleted, you're looking at 4+ hours of running a generator with a 10 Amp battery charger.  Next problem is the WFCO charger installed in your trailer:  It probably won't even provide 10 Amps of charging current, so your charge time will be even longer. 
    PLEASE! 320 owners who have a battery monitor like the Victron, chime in here:  What charge rate do you get when you plug into shore power with a half-depleted battery?
    So you're running into trouble on 2 fronts:  The battery doesn't like fast charging, and your TAB's converter won't let you charge fast anyway. 
    So what's the solution?  If you really need to charge fast, consider replacing your deep-cycle battery with an AGM battery.  They are available in the same size as your existing battery and have 2 advantages:  They can be charged fast and they can be discharged by 80% without radically compromising their life. They are also considerably cheaper than lithium.  Next you will need a fast charger and at this point you need to decide whether you'd like a traditional battery charger like this, or a built-in charger to replace the WFCO converter like this.
    Hope this helps!
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    A portable 200-watt solar panel setup would keep the battery charged.  Our TaB400 with 193 watt solar keeps the larger 200 amp AGM charged from the DC fridge, Alde and normal light usage whilst camping without hookups.  Solar panels were in partial shade part of the day also.  We had no issues keeping the battery charged.  You may want to consider a larger battery or second smaller battery setup to give you more useable amp. hours of power.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ObucksObucks Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like both suggestions recommend an AGM battery and maybe I should consider solar power as an option. My concern is our camping locations are usually pretty shaded. Does the solar power hook directly to the battery and also need a charger? Your feedback has been very helpful
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    @Obucks - solar panels connect to a charge controller which then connects to the battery(s).  If you frequently find that the TaB is in the shade, you may want to consider a portable solar suitcase with a 30 foot extension.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I second the opinion of @Sharon_is_SAM - we like to camp in the shade, but that makes roof-mounted solar panels of limited use when camping.  If you don't stay too long in one place you'll get a good charge while driving to your next site.  Our solution was to install easily-removable solar panels on the roof of our TAB which get relocated to the sun when we park in the shade.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    rh5555 said:
    I second the opinion of @Sharon_is_SAM - we like to camp in the shade, but that makes roof-mounted solar panels of limited use when camping.  If you don't stay too long in one place you'll get a good charge while driving to your next site.  Our solution was to install easily-removable solar panels on the roof of our TAB which get relocated to the sun when we park in the shade.
    @rh5555 Have you posted anything on your removable panel setup? Would love to see details on that!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP - I haven't posted anything about this, but certainly could.  I need this snow to melt first!
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    rh5555 said:
    @VictoriaP - I haven't posted anything about this, but certainly could.  I need this snow to melt first!
    Amen to that! I am not a snow fan. Would definitely love to see when possible; I just this week ordered a second suitcase which takes me to 200w portable, but I’m still looking at mounting options for an additional panel on the trailer while driving.

@Obucks For the price of that Honda generator, you could easily upgrade both your battery capacity AND add solar capability. Depending on where you live/camp, and how much power you consume, that combo may well be sufficient for your boondocking needs. And if it’s not enough, a smaller and less expensive generator could then be a viable option if all you need to use it for is recharging during poor solar conditions.

That said, the further north you are, the more solar you’ll likely need to get similar results to Denny’s experience in California, or to those of Tab owners in the AZ desert. A 100 watt suitcase on the rainy side of the Pacific NW? May not cut it except when in full midsummer sun. Time of year, weather, and terrain are also factors that can severely impact your solar capabilities.

I do carry a 900w propane genny that I keep strictly for emergencies, along with a NOCO smart charger which attaches directly to the battery (I installed a quick connect pigtail for that). Anecdotal, not measured properly...but the NOCO *seems* like it charges a bit faster than the converter, and it’s definitely easier than dragging out my heavy and awkward 30 amp cable just to charge the battery. Once I get a battery shunt installed, I’ll probably do some testing, but that’s a few months out yet.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW