Options

Inside Door Panel Gone Bad - SOLVED

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
edited February 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
Anyone know what caused this?  More importantly, how to repair it.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tabaz send an email to tech@nucamprv.com and ask Creed or his co-worker what to do. I really don’t know if they have any of the older kind like that in stock, and I don’t know if the new doors fit the your T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    You can buy thin fiber panels used in bathrooms to replace that from HD or Lowes

easy fix
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Heat expansion maybe. Remove window then apply a counter top laminate. Be sure crack edges are level. May need sanding grinding or cutting with a razor knife. Good luck.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Am I seeing it correctly that it is cracked in multiple places, but only the one crack has split the outermost layer?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Good eye @ScottG.  I just expanded the photo and it looks like the entire door facing is involved.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yep - its the entire door panel.  NovaTab may be correct about the material.  I emailed nuCamp and will see what they recommend.  Purely cosmetic - the door works fine.
  • Options
    Just heard back from nuCamp - they do not recommend removing that panel.  It's glued and pressed to the foam behind it.  I'll take out the window and see how its attached.
  • Options
    Leeza888Leeza888 Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up my new to me 2017 T@B 320 and it has these same panel cracks.  I look forward to your findings @Tabaz
    2017 T@B S & 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    Nights: 1
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    We have the same problem with our 2016 T@B 320S. This picture was taken two years ago when we took it out of winter storage to head to Florida. Now two years later new cracks have appeared in numerous places on the door skin. We’re still brainstorming on ways to cover them up. Luckily it’s just a cosmetic issue and doesn’t affect the function of the door in any way.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Lil_Lucy, it looks like your door is waging a war with your window and door latch.

Mine has horizontal stripes, some broken and some not yet broken throughout the door panel.
  • Options

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Perhaps just covering it with new material, and inside trim strip around the door.
    The other option, is to replace the door, which would need to be ordered from nüCamp via a dealer.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I wonder if the newer door with the fire extinguisher and storage areas would retro on to our older trailers? Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Leeza888 said:
    @Lil_Lucy, it looks like your door is waging a war with your window and door latch.

Yes, and it looks like the window is winning.
  • Options
    The new door with the inside compartments is a new door unit, and yiu can not refit the inside panel only, as nüCamp buys this door already made as a complete unit.  The doors come from Germany I believe, and are the same ones used on EU TaBs.  That is why spare bits, and third party latches are not available for them.  However, nüCamp may carry spare OEM latches and window units for them, but not the inside panel.
    cheers
  • Options
    Bad news folks. Just removed the interior ring from the window. The plastic panel IS glued to the styrofoam center. Pulling off that panel will take some foam with it. Looks like the only option is to remove the window ring and door lock, sand down the entire panel, fill in the cracks with something and adhere a covering over the panel.  Ugh.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Isn’t that what nüCamp told you?  The inside surface is pressure glued to the foam center in the door.  
    Cheers
  • Options

• Options
    Yes Denny, that is nuCamp told me.
  • Options
    The only solution nuCamp proposed was buying a new door unit.  Can't imagine what that would cost.  Thought I would open things up and see if there was a work-around.  
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Nice autopsy, @Tabaz.  You didn't even nick a vein!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Regular counter top laminate from HD or Lowe’s is easy to work with. If the current material is secure to the foam core. I would sand the surface to make sure it is level at the cracks. No need for fillers. Then use contact cement to secure the laminate of choice. Cut laminate by scribing repeatedly with a laminate cutter sand edges as needed. Window can be cut with a fine blade jigsaw. If it chips a little the window ring should cover it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Great sleuthing, @Tabaz and thanks for the photos.  Thank you @Dalehelman for the repair ideas.  
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Denny16 What I would like to do is replace the complete door so I could have the upgraded door. Wonder if the new door will fit right on a 2019 320. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    gulfarea said:
    Denny16 What I would like to do is replace the complete door so I could have the upgraded door. Wonder if the new door will fit right on a 2019 320. Art
    I believe nuCamp said No to retrofitting when the new door was first introduced for the 320 with the 2020 model year.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Sorry to see this happening guys! Any guesses as to the cause? Excessive heat, humidity or cold temperatures? Has the trailer been stored without ventilation? Has it only been seen in 2016/2017 models, so far? 
    I find that after I close my (2014) door needs a little extra pull to get it to click and seal shut. It is an impressively tight fit. 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    It is worth a call to nüCamp and ask,if the new door will fit, or if they have a replacement door for your model, and what the actual cost is.  May not be as much as you think.
    cheers
  • Options
    Just a little brain storming. Are you a full timer? Is your door in the open position for long periods of time? Exposed to direct sunlight? Could UV rays be a factor? Many plastics are not UV stable and become very brittle when exposed to direct sunlight.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Dale - I appreciate your asking as to what may be the cause. In my case, the trailer is in Phoenix, Arizona and stored under shade when not in use. Curious as to the locations of others with this problem. I would hate to (1) spend a ton of time retro fitting a new skin, or (2) buying a new door from the same company that made this defective product.

• Options
    We are located in southeast Michigan. We store our unit in our unheated garage during the winter months which at least keeps it out of the snow and ice. The door was fine when we put it in there but in the spring when we pulled it out we noticed the cracks. The last couple of years the cracks seem to multiply. I think it has a lot to do with the fluctuations in temperatures. (This is Michigan, of course). At first I thought maybe the screws around the window collar and the door handle were over tightened, but when I checked them they were just snug, as they should be. It’s possible that the door skins were produced from a bad batch of plastic which can’t take the temperature fluctuations. (This is just the Quality Engineer in me talking). As far as replacing the whole door, I would hate to think what that would cost. Over the years I’ve had to replace a front tub, a door screen and a shower pan. This little trailers are a joy to own and we love ours, but when it comes to replacement parts, be prepared to dig into your pocketbook. Especially when you have to go through a dealer.