Options

Inside Door Panel Gone Bad - SOLVED

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Lil_Lucy said:
    We are located in southeast Michigan. We store our unit in our unheated garage during the winter months which at least keeps it out of the snow and ice. The door was fine when we put it in there but in the spring when we pulled it out we noticed the cracks. The last couple of years the cracks seem to multiply. I think it has a lot to do with the fluctuations in temperatures. (This is Michigan, of course). At first I thought maybe the screws around the window collar and the door handle were over tightened, but when I checked them they were just snug, as they should be. It’s possible that the door skins were produced from a bad batch of plastic which can’t take the temperature fluctuations. (This is just the Quality Engineer in me talking). As far as replacing the whole door, I would hate to think what that would cost. Over the years I’ve had to replace a front tub, a door screen and a shower pan. This little trailers are a joy to own and we love ours, but when it comes to replacement parts, be prepared to dig into your pocketbook. Especially when you have to go through a dealer.
    That may be a possibility.

I had a 2002 RAM and the dashboard eventually started cracking, then pieces falling out.  Lots of people complaining on various forums.  Dodge was very reluctant to do any replacements, even on the trucks that were still under warranty.  This was the first year of the redesigned truck and they either got a very bad batch of plastic, or the engineers didn't know how to design/support such a large dash.

With that said, we have a 2016/17 320 and I'll be keeping an eye on our door.  So far it looks perfect.

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Can you just cover the door in some attractive wall covering? Maybe something with texture to camouflage the breaks? Example: https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/highland-dunes-doster-36-x-288-abstract-3d-embossed-wallpaper-w001217700.html
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Lil_Lucy, southeast Michigan here also. Trailer is in the backyard under a PahaQue cover as it has always been, since May 2016. Manufacture date 04/16. Door is still intact. Checked about 2 weeks ago. Current 5' snowdrift between the house and t@b, so I cannot say how it is today, but my presumption is that it is ok. This is our trailers 5th winter. It has been exposed to temps fluctuating between -30°F to 125°F. We traveled the desert southwest for 6 weeks in 2016. Preteen boys slamming it frequently on that very sunny, very hot trip. Had snow in Yellowstone that same trip. No cracks. I included manufacture date in case this becomes relevant to determining if there is indeed a bad batch of doors, or bad supplier parts involved. Good luck to all in tracking this down and developing a solution. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The only way to find out how much a door cost would be, is to ask nüCamp.  Might not be as bad as you think, and the replacement will be a newer door than the 2016 you both have.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Thanks marceline. That may be the best solution. Will try to find something that compliments the existing wallpaper. Never did like the stark white.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Leeza888Leeza888 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2021
    @Tabaz @Dalehelman I just purchased mine from a couple in Phoenix last weekend. They used it a lot, in and around Arizona since they bought it used in 2018 from Tom's Camperland in Phoenix.  It was stored covered for 2 years and then uncovered last year in their driveway with partial daytime shade.
    I'm with you @Lil_Lucy in thinking about temperature fluctuations. 
    I think I'm going go with a mod a la @Dalehelman and attach some baskets.
    2017 T@B S & 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    Nights: 1
  • Options
    Thought I'd give this a try. Sand down the white plastic edges at the break.  Sand the area to be covered for better adhesion. Apply "peel and stick" vinyl wallpaper available from Home Depot for $40 a roll.  The roll is 20.5" wide by 18' long while the door is only 19" wide by 4' 9" tall. Goes on easy and is simple to cut.  Will give these two test pieces a few days to see how they hold up. Not crazy about this pattern, but it was the only one in stock with horizontal lines to better hide any imperfections in the plastic panel.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    I think that will disguise the cracks perfectly.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Too funny. For a second I thought you had sanded off the outer layer and found your door was made of old barn boards.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Looking at the photos attached above, compared to my 2014 (Aug 2013 manufactured) door, the 2016/2017 doors have a crimped upper edge. Here's a photo of my 2014 door, showing that it has a smooth machined edge and no crimping.
    Have you checked the upper edge and around the door seal to see if the aluminum casing is intact?  My thought was that perhaps there is a crack that is allowing moisture to get in between the foam and laminate covering? Also check that the seal is good? Either way, it is an interesting manufacturing difference, just a few years apart. I think someone said the doors are 3rd party?

2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    Leeza888Leeza888 Member Posts: 7
    @Tabaz that looks great so far.  Thanks for sharing.
    2017 T@B S & 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    Nights: 1
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2021
    Ok, one other angle to pursue ........
    Wondering if its possible to "pull" the whole door "insert" out of the framework from the BOTTOM ? If you look at the bottom of the 320 door (pre - 2020)  , the framework is not one piece . Its an aluminum surround, with a separate piece at the bottom , that has a screw on each side . My 320 is in storage, so wont be able to look at it to confirm this , but  ..........wondering of its possible to remove the entire door assy (its is just held on with screws at the hinge) , then pull off / separate the bottom aluminum track from the aluminum door surround . Then just pull the whole inner door (the cracked part, foam ,handle/lock , Azdel outer and window) out of the the aluminum surround ?  You would also have to remove the door handle first . Should be able to figure out an easier way to repair/replace the broken inner plastic part when its out of the frame, and inside where its more workable ? 

Just tossing out another option to try ? 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    Scott - I almost spit out my adult beverage while reading your post. IF ONLY that plastic panel covered actual refurbished wood! Too funny. So here’s where I am with this.  Know a really smart guy who said the guy responsible for dumping the UV inhibitor into the vat of chemicals the day my panel was produced must have called in sick. Ergo any sunlight hitting that panel would dry it out. Hence the cracked lines. Fine. Stuff happens. Took an orbital sander with corse sandpaper to the plastic and buffed the entire surface. Ordered some complimentary vinyl peel and stick wallpaper that will arrive Tuesday. Will report back with results. Feeling optimistic.
  • Options
    Boatguy - I looked into that. The foam insulation appears to be fused to both the outer Skin and the bad interior panel. Sliding the whole thing out of the aluminum frame does not appear feasible. 
  • Options
    Mellow Yellow - interesting point about crimped vs. smooth upper radius. No idea for the change. Did check for leaks but found none. Thanks for bringing this point up.
  • Options
    Here is the company that made my door:
    https://www.challengerdoor.com/
    Full disclosure - I have not contacted them regarding this problem.  NuCamp did not suggest I contact them.  They only suggested I purchase a new door (via a dealer). We're on our own here folks.

• Options
    @Tabaz - I hope you do contact Challenger Door.  They may not know about the issue of the breakdown of the inside panel.  Maybe they have some ideas.
  • Options
    SIS - I did provide their warranty department with a link to this thread for their information only. Let’s see what they say. I personally don’t want a new door. I never liked the white plastic door panel competing visually with the soft beige wall covering next to the door. Hoping the peel and stick fix is a win for everyone.
  • Options
    Just received a detailed and customer-oriented email from the door manufacturer. They appear genuinely concerned and willing to help. Kudos to them! 
  • Options
    For those of you with this issue who prefer a new door, contact Robert Zurbach at Challenger Door. Me, I like my door. It doesn’t leak. Never liked the stark white plastic next to a comforting tan wallpaper in the rest of the the interior. Going with the peel and stick option for now. But kudos to Challenger Door for acknowledging the issue and addressing it head on. For those going the replacement route, please report your experience.
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Thanks @Tabaz for researching and finding a source to address this problem that we have. I’m still undecided as to which avenue to pursue. I’m like you, I really don’t want to replace the whole door. It works just fine. I’m a firm believer of “Murphy’s Law, If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” I’m in Florida right now without the trailer, and will be here until May. Lil Lucy is still tucked in the garage with those frigid Michigan temperatures, and probably developing more cracks as we speak. At least I know now, the way it is glued to the styrofoam behind it, it’s not going to fall out in pieces. I’ll deal with it when I get home.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    Lil Lucy - I wouldn't mind replacing the door itself with a new one.  The concern is the door FRAME.  These things are matched at the vendor's factory then installed by nuCamp as a complete unit.  I shudder to think of the problems that would occur attempting to match a new door with a five year old frame.  Or worse, replacing the door and frame.  I think someone made a horror movie out of this scenario a few years ago.  "Nightmare on RV Door Street" if memory serves.
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    @Tabaz. I agree. There are too many variables to consider. It sounds so simple, doesn’t it. Remove a few screws, take out the old door, screw the new one in place and walla you’re done. Early on in my working career. I spent 12 years building RV’s. (trailers and motor homes). Installing the doors was always a real trip. You would have to do a lot of tweaking to the frame to get everything to fit perfectly. (Proper closure, latching, gaps, good seal). It’s not as easy as it sounds.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    Lil Lucy - I spent a few years in a previous life doing service work on double-wide mobile homes.  I was really bad at it.  Thankfully, no lives were lost.  But I did come to appreciate how complicated doors really are (don't get me started on the miss-aligned miter cuts on the interior trim).  Based on your background and experience in the RV industry, what a testimony to nuCamp that you chose one of their trailers. 
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited February 2021
    @Tabaz - Is there such a thing as T@B scrapyards? I cringe at the thought of someone junking a T@B but I bet it happens! Wondering if a door could be salvaged from another T@B?
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited February 2021
    @Tabaz - Is there such a thing as T@B scrapyards? I cringe at the thought of someone junking a T@B but I bet it happens! Wondering if a door could be salvaged from another T@B?
    Google for RV scrapyards in your area. They’re not common, but there are a few of them both in the US and Canada. Some will be able to tell you if they have a specific brand of trailer or specific parts, others will just tell you to come by and rummage. Some have everything parted out, but at least in the past, some let you do the work of removal yourself (given the liability issues nowadays, not sure if they still do that, but ex-husband and I salvaged bits off RVs that way back in the 90s).
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Looks great!  
  • Options
    Forgot to mention you do not have to remove the door.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @Tabaz  Look fantastic inexpensive and easy. Doesn’t get any better.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun