Where do you store the spare tire?

Comments

• MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Our spare was under the rear of the trailer and would occasionally touch if going onto or out of a steep driveway.  I was also uncomfortable with trying to retrieve it if I needed to change the tire.  As a result, I moved it inside under the back seat - thus keeping the weight behind the axle.  I did not want to add weight to the tongue of the trailer as it makes it more difficult to position the trailer by hand on soft ground.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    When I had a Casita  I found my JEEP Wrangler spare tire would fit so I did not carry a spare for trailer. Now looking at T@B trailer & will do the same if wheel is 5 hole on 4 1/2 center. If not that size I would rather make a small aluminum tire adapter to carry around instead of tire and wheel. I just want something to get to a place to buy a spare tire. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    Here's ours using heavy duty muffler hangers instead of the plate.  The painting was done for both aesthetics and anti-rust as we live right on the water:

Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:
    JimDrury said:
    I found a photo of a spare tire mounted on the rear of a Tab.  The license plate suggests that it's a photo from Europe.  Does anyone know how to order parts from Eurotab?  I find the big basket solution suggested by LG to be clunky.
    I know what you are talking about. They are thin silver accessories rails that look awesome on a T@b. That is their off road model. If I could find those rails I would definitely mount on the rear. Personally, I didn't care for the Yakima rack look.
    If you find the source, I'd be interested, too. I need to keep the spare in the rear to offset the weight of the two batteries (no, not installed yet). 
    You could always throw a sandbag in the rear, hard to reach area, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

More ____________________ (insert drink of choice)  in the fridge offsets the extra battery.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

GlennBeck, I don't see a Jack-E-Up, so take it you don't lower your tailgate when hitched. Trying to figure out a tire mount "up-front" that won't interfere with the tailgate.

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

GlennBeck, I don't see a Jack-E-Up, so take it you don't lower your tailgate when hitched. Trying to figure out a tire mount "up-front" that won't interfere with the tailgate.

I found that the 16" from pin to "center of ball" hitch from eTrailer allows my tailgate to clear the jack. It does reduce tow rating from 7000 to 6000lbs for my pickup (non-issue with T@Bitha) - this one has a 4" drop because I drive a 4x4 (http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hidden-Hitch/80233.html). I could probably use a half inch drop more to get the camper perfectly level at 16 inches, but if I load the bed of the pickup with items, that half inch disappears :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    I can lower the tailgate becauae the tire is
    behind the tongue jack, BUT I found out the hard way that the tailgate will bottom out on the jack handle if I climb in with a generator in my hand.  That's a combined weight of 210 which compresses the shock just enough to dent the tailgate.  :0(
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Saw this at WM tonight. It could be useful. Rated for 4000 lb trailer and 400 lb tongue weight. Both within T@B limits. However if you also add the dual 6 volt batts to the front you'll make for a heavier front end than you may want fool with. Costs $50.00. One thing I noticed that there is a difference in our trailer tongues. Mine is around 10" shorter than than Glenn Becks. I'm doubting that I could fit the width of my tire between the storage bucket and the tongue jack. If I added the extension pictured, I'd be the same length as his. Funny the small differences I'm noticing on T@Bs. :o 
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As I recall, hitch extenders lower your TV tow capacity (half?). So the extender may handle 4,000/400 but your TV can no longer handle the T@B - depending on your TV
    KyBawpaw - Do a search, there's been at least two threads that discussed such.
    Crazy. Didn't know that. Wonder then if my trailer length is shorter than some that I've seen pictures of, does that mean inversely I have a better towing capability?? As I noted the two frame rails coming out from under my T@B end "early" (compared to some) welded to a hitch receiver and a hydrolic fluid box of sorts is attached on top of that. The distance from the front of the LP/Battery box to the tongue jack is about 9". That's why I couldn't fit the spare with it's bracket in that gap like Glenn Beck has. Don't have a close up right now but this long shot shows it good enuf. See how the hitch receiver is higher than the tongue frame?
    2014 T@B-S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2016
    KyBawpaw said:
    Crazy. Didn't know that. Wonder then if my trailer length is shorter than some that I've seen pictures of, does that mean inversely I have a better towing capability?? As I noted the two frame rails coming out from under my T@B end "early" (compared to some) welded to a hitch receiver and a hydrolic fluid box of sorts is attached on top of that. The distance from the front of the LP/Battery box to the tongue jack is about 9". That's why I couldn't fit the spare with it's bracket in that gap like Glenn Beck has. Don't have a close up right now but this long shot shows it good enuf. See how the hitch receiver is higher than the tongue frame?
    You have "surge brakes". The cap is where you add brake fluid, DOT 5 according to the utility trailer company who greases and repacks my wherl bearings.  The surge brakes are controlled by inertia, not by 12V power.  As you slow down, the surge brakes recognize the decrease in speed and brake accordingly. 

Yes, your tongue is shorter than the newer ones that have electric brakes. Little Guy quit using surge brakes with the early 2014 models.  I have them and I like them. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    KyBawpaw - I don't think it has to do with trailer length - As I recall, some of the info in those threads I referenced came from the eTrailer website - You might check there for hitch extender info.
    Alright!! And much thanks! (learning something new here ALL the time) Ya'll said I have "surge brakes". As soon as I read that I did a Google on them and Good deal, cuz I didn't know I had these. Thought the T@B wasn't heavy enough to require brakes so didn't think much more about it. Bought it used and there was no manual and the previous owners couldn't tell me everything that they maybe took for granted. Glad you veterans are here for we neophytes.
    2014 T@B-S
  • MikeottoMikeotto Member Posts: 4
    Fun and games with mounting. I have an older 2007 tab and tried the the side mount on the frame. Was not happy with the frame twist. They are pretty light metal. Taking the spare out from under the trailer was a challange seeing how long it had been under there. The other issue is you cannot mount to the jack as it moves up and done. Has anyone found a mount that mounts across both frame rails to get rid of the twist?

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I found this on line after someone here posted that their dealer had installed it or one like it. It is on my list of future mods. Our local trailer repair place indicated they could weld it on for us. It goes in front of the propane box. http://www.crofttrailer.com/stctm-croft-tongue-mount-spare-tire-carrier-weld-on
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    I tried storing it in the rear storage space under the back bench on the passenger side. There was a little noticeable occasional pull, occasionally, so I am probably going to end up with it in the rear of the TV, again. I would think that with the Yakima on the Outback, the pull would be a little more noticeable.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have been storing my in the TV. 

Last year I clamped it to the tongue jack, but then when I replaced the original plastic tongue box with the diamond plate Outback version, I no longer had the space (my 2012's surge brakes take up more space), so into the TV it goes.

On longer, extended trips it goes on top of the TV.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
    Cyclonic, I never saw that idea coming!  
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

My wife actually really likes it because she can find the car in a parking lot more easily :lol:

Sterling, VA
    edited May 2016
    Do you worry about uv damage? Are new tires prone to this (spares, I mean, not ones in motion)? I put a cheapo cover on mine in the back. The tire on the yakima rack has a tendency to collect .. um, things. In the winter, it acted as a snow dam. The cover also hides the padlock. Not sure if the area will attract wasps.. best peek every now and then during "house-making season" for the critters. Always have to check the silly gas grill for them. No one likes surprises, especially human-wasp encounters...

Wasps: "hey! Baby eggs here!"
    Me: "Uh, MY GRILL" *holding yummy-looking sausage on a plate, balancing that with tongs, a lighter and a beverage"
    *Angry Buzzzzzzzzzzzz*
    Me: "RETREAT! Wasp spray! Wasp spray!" *Dog patiently waiting for me to drop said sausage.. 50-50 chance*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Cyclonic said:
    I have been storing my in the TV. 

Last year I clamped it to the tongue jack, but then when I replaced the original plastic tongue box with the diamond plate Outback version, I no longer had the space (my 2012's surge brakes take up more space), so into the TV it goes.

On longer, extended trips it goes on top of the TV.

This is exactly what I have been thinking about doing. Do you have a basket or rack up on top?

I just last it down with a couple of cargo straps nice and tight.  I use a couple of zip ties to tie up the loose ends of the straps.  Sat up there for three weeks and 5000+ miles and didn't budge.

Sterling, VA
    Cyclonic said:
    I just last it down with a couple of cargo straps nice and tight.  I use a couple of zip ties to tie up the loose ends of the straps.  Sat up there for three weeks and 5000+ miles and didn't budge.
    Thanks, Nathan. Do you put anything under it? I have been tempted to do the same.

jkjenn said:
    Cyclonic said:
    Thanks, Nathan. Do you put anything under it? I have been tempted to do the same.
    No, it sits directly on the cargo rails.  I figure the rubber of the tire also adds some traction to help it stay put.

Sterling, VA
    Ah, so you are using crossbars. Rachel strap for tie downs? 

autocorrect translation: rachet?
    @Ratkity you got it!

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    In keeping my T@b under the 2000 pound tow limit of my Jeep, T@B  was 1,670 pounds when it left the factory, I have removed the weight of the tire, removed the tong jack, (that is a heavy dude)  removed that very heavy folding table, & I travel very light. The roof rack was modified with 3 cross braces (1 extra) & an aluminum mount made to bolt to the cross racks.
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    Very nice, clean look, @gulfarea