Options

Where do you store the spare tire?

13»

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @jkjenn, Yes, I use ratcheting straps to get it nice and tight.

@gulfarea , like the mount, may eventually invest in that, or build something similar.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    mikesnewjourneymikesnewjourney Member Posts: 28
    We have just bought our new used 2006 Model T1 and have had the same problem with the spare tire.  I ordered a spare tire carrier from etrailer for 16 dollars plus shipping.  I hope this will work, I will post pictures and weight differences on tongue.  We have a Tacoma so I am in hopes that the tongue weight will not be a problem?  Thank you 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Echoing Verna....I recently went through the hassle of measuring our tongue weight...it was 200#, so it'd be nice to put that weight back (so WE could install 2 6V batteries up front!)

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Echoing Verna....I recently went through the hassle of measuring our tongue weight...it was 200#, so it'd be nice to put that weight back (so WE could install 2 6V batteries up front!)
    @DurangoTaB, OK, I bit the bullet last week and had Austin install the Yakima rack with basket on the rear of my T@B for my spare. It actually looks rather good, even if it does cover up my "Indiana Hoosiers" decal ;). I need to wash the spare, and the T@B after traveling almost 1700 miles in two weeks--whew!  I have two tire covers on order. A waving American flag and an IU (duh, of course!).  With the covers having a white background, I think it will look nice. 

I was told by either Austin or Marvin that the T@B will handle a bit different because the weight of the spare is higher than it was under the rear end. I filled the water tank before leaving üCamp17, with the thought that I could easily dump some fresh water if needed for the handling difference, but I actually got almost 15 mpg driving home with the water tank full without noticing any difference in handling. I'll empty half of the water for my next trip to see if I continue to get better gas mileage. It's worth experimenting!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SilverEagleJCSilverEagleJC Member Posts: 24
    I store my Tab spare in the rear of my TV.  I made a simple wood box to hold it in an upright position which is also strapped down with the tire to the cargo hooks in the back floor of the TV.   I have an Outback with the cargo rack, but if I was ever in a situation where I had to change to tire without any help, I would not be able to safely remove the spare from the cargo rack due to the height of the rack and my bad back.  If needed, I will be able to get the spare out of the back of the TV.  I use the Outback cargo rack to carry other camping gear.

• Options
    sqrpegsqrpeg Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2017
    For those of you that have the Outback (now Boondock) Edition – if you didn’t want to carry the spare tire on the Yakima rack, do you still have the option to mount it underneath the trailer or has that mounting point been removed on the Outbacks?

EDIT: Oops - forgot to add: new forum member, not-yet owner, first post but have been lurking for weeks now.  I appreciate all of the generous and expert advice – what a great community!

2018 320S Boondock | 2018 Ford Escape Titanium
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I don't know the specific answer, but the critical thing would be to have the two bolts to which the spare tire mounting bracket attaches.

The bracket could likely be purchased separately (or even fabricated), but the bolts appear to have been installed during construction, as their heads are buried up inside the trailer body and are not accessible.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I have an additional storage bin behind the jack. I'm storing  my spare in the bed of my truck. I have a hard side tonneau cover and keep the tail gate locked.