Options

Stabilizer jack points and jack stands?

Hi everyone. New to the forum. New Tab 400 owner. I’m sure I saw a discussion thread about someone’s trailer rocking after it is set up. Another person suggested stabilizer jacks which I bought. But where is the best place to put them. I tested them out at a couple of points along the frame - seemed to work ok but looking for advice in the ideal points. Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited February 2021
    Welcome, Miguerrero. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any discussions of owners adding stabilizers beyond what the trailer comes equipped with. 

There have been some 320 owners who have replaced their stock stabilizers with actual jacks, but that was more to facilitate leveling that to alleviate rocking.

What exactly did you buy?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    Your stabilizer jacks installed on the trailer should be sufficient
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2021
    To reduce the bouncing feel when walking in the trailer, which the stabilizers reduce, you would need to lift the frame/weight of the trailer off the wheels/axle.  The only point to do this without straining the frame, is at the two Jack points on the frame next to the axle mount.

Jack point is circled in red.  This is where you can safely lift the trailer weight up some to reduce bouncing fleet, along with lowering the stabilizer jacks at the four corners.  Be sure you do not place any strain or weight on the stabilization jacks.  
    The tongue Jack also needs to be down, so you can level and support the trailer weight from these three points.   That said, I would not raise the axle more than an inch, just or so, just enough to stiffen the axle/wheel shock system, which is the source of the bouncing feeling.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited February 2021
    The stabilizers the new 320's and 400 are very solid. You might feel some ever so slight bounce but there should not be any rocking with these down.

I don't these trailers are meant to be used by jacking the wheels off of the ground and would not advise doing that.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Ya, lifting the trailer "higher" to take the weight off the frame...? I think that would worsen the situation.  Stick with the existing STABILIZERS, JACKING is unnecessary, and besides, why would you want to carry 2 more heavy items...?

I have an '18 320S Outback. the trailer is very stable even with the two of us in it, and that's wit the "wimpy" stock stabilizers. It is only when I go into the trailer with out the stabilizers down can I feel any noticeable movement.  
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    I agree, the stabilizer jacks do a good job.  I was answering the OPs question about lifting the trailer weight off the wheels and suspension to give a more solid feel inside when walking around.  The trailer jacking points are on the frame, not the axle.

Personally, I find the stabilization jacks work quite well, any minor trailer movement you might feel inside, adds to the camping experience.  After all, this is a travel trailer, not a mobil home or house.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The stabilizer jacks need to be firmly on the ground not just touching. By using the provided crank. It is almost impossible to exert to much pressure on the stabilizers. The crank hand handle  just does not provide enough leverage. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Good point, I leaned on the side of caution, taking the Jack to the ground and then giving it n extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn, depending on the ground surface.
    Guess I can take up a little more slack.
    cheers
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The stabilizer jacks need to be firmly on the ground not just touching. By using the provided crank. It is almost impossible to exert to much pressure on the stabilizers. The crank hand handle  just does not provide enough leverage. 
    Exactly, and as intended...but, if you did opt to use the jacking points to raise the trailer "to stabilize it", then lowered the stabilizers and later lowered the jacks before raising the stabilizers you could damage them and the mounting points by applying more force to them than you could otherwise exert by simply using the cranks. None of this seems like it is particularly well advised. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Maybe use the lego pads under the stabilizers to give a firmer feel on softer surfaces?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Yes, I use the plastic Lego type plates under the stabilizer jacks also, especially is soft ground areas.  On concrete, the pads also help to keep the jacks from getting scratched up and rusting.
    cheers
  • Options
    cmcelhosecmcelhose Member Posts: 13
    Echo for the lego pads under the stabilizers I use the same
  • Options
    MlguerreroMlguerrero Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,  thanks for the feedback on this. Good points about the stabilizers. I have used the jack stands at times but only to supplement the stabilizers. Seems to work fine. 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I'm not encouraging this BUT if you have a stable hydraulic jack for tire changes in the TV. Why not position it under the jack point on the low side and lift to side to side level and then use the stabilizers? The only problem I see is if the trailer falls off the jack and now the stabilizers are holding the trailer up. Structurely it is very similar to BAL or blocks and the stabilizers should provide rigidity to keep the trailer on the jack.  So any other issues with this system? OBVIOUSLY you raise the stabilizers PRIOR to removing the jack. Blast away (nicely please).
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    Using the TV jack to level the trailer seems like a reasonable thing to do. A couple of thoughts though. This might be fine if you never leave camp, but if you do then the TV doesn’t have a jack in case of a flat tire - it’s back under the trailer!  Also, the jack in my truck is a pain to get to. I’d rather carry a dedicated system of some sort to level the trailer. I’m old school and use 5/4 x 6 deck boards but am thinking of upgrading to something, joining at least the 20th century. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho