Options

MODEL YEAR CHANGES

TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
edited February 2021 in Trailer & Towing
I've seen posts when model year changes occur, but do mods happen in between?

We purchased a used 2016 T@B 320.  It was supposed to be a 2017 per the owner, but when we went to transfer the title it said 2016 so they knocked off another $500 from the price.

The plate on the frame show it is a Pleasant Valley Teardrop manufactured 11/2015

I had located a sheet that showed changes made by year, and it seems like ours has some from 2015, early 2016, late 2016 and even 2017?

Late 2015
Norcold 3-way frig model 3163???  HAVE 3 WAY NOT SURE OF MODEL
Fresh water tank of 11 gallons replaced previous inside 5 gallon tank  HAVE
Gray tank of 19 gallons replaced previous 11 gallon tank NOT SURE
Factory warranty provision of passenger side vent, fan and manual switch to remove excess heat from the Norcold frig.  HAVE

Early 2016  HAVE ALL OF THESE
100% Azdel Backers
Clamp on/screw-free Fantastic Fans
3D Logos
Corrugated underbelly protectant & insulation
No fabric on window valances
Seat panel finger inserts for easy opening
Upgraded cushion foam density
Overhead cabinet doors hinged on top

Late 2016
Shade/screen reversal - Shades pull up and screens pull down  HAVE
Alde display now digital - replaced sliders  HAVE
SeeLevel battery and tank monitors  HAVE
Announced expanded recall of T@B 320 S 1/1/13 through 8/31/16 builds regarding rubber LPG hose laying on frig fins ?
Lagun table and bed slats standard  NO LAGUN, BUT HAVE SLATS
When did they add the pull out steps???  HAVE PULL OUT STEP

Early 2017 Models
Battery disconnect switch??  HAVE
Black tank 8 gallons  NOT SURE
Standard with build - Norcold 3-way frigs vented through passenger side wall with automatic fan. MANUAL SWITCH
Bed rails and slats with cleats to secure the slats  NO CLEATS
Lagun pedestal and table - interior  NO
Struts to support the cabinet doors  NO
Different faucet in the galley sink  ?

Looking at other peoples pictures of those years I see some features on ours and some not on ours.

We have the vent for the 3 way fridge next to our door and a switch for the cooling fan.

We have two round vents under the front window.  I've seen pictures of 1 and none.

We have the bed rails and the bed slats (not sure if they were factory or previous owner mod).

We don't have the Laguan table.

Our ALDE reservoir is under the back shelf/headboard (easy to see and fill) and not in the upper cabinet area.  I've seen people say they use that headboard area for storage but ours has a radiator in it and wiring.

Our fridge doesn't have a freezer.

I'm not complaining we love our T@B, but just interested how we got such a mixture of changes.... unless the sheet with the changes is really inaccurate.

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
Tampa FL

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    You have an old list.  The last time I updated this attached list was in 8/2019.  Since your TaB was made in 11/2015, you have a late 2016 model except no Lagun.  

Early 2015 Models

All LED interior lighting and oval LED porch light

Power cord w/ built in LED light

New style Lexan windows, shades and screens

Sink in S model wetbath removed

Black tank of 6 gallons with vent pipe inside shower area (tank under shower floor)

Radial tires

Norcold 3-way frig model 3163

Wood-look vinyl flooring

Late 2015 Models

Fresh water tank of 11 gallons replaced previous inside 5 gallon tank

Gray tank of 19 gallons replaced previous 11 gallon tank

Factory warranty provision of passenger side vent, fan and manual switch to remove excess heat from the Norcold frig.

Early 2016 Models

100% Azdel Backers

3D Logos

Late 2016 Models

Shade/screen reversal - Shades pull up and screens pull down

Factory installed battery cut-off switch

Alde display now digital - replaced sliders

SeeLevel battery and tank monitors

Announced expanded recall of T@B 320 S 1/1/13 through 8/31/16 builds regarding rubber LPG hose laying on frig fins

Lagun table and bed slats standard

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I've seen posts when model year changes occur, but do mods happen in between?
    Yes (as indicated by the details of Sharon's list). Particularly in the earlier years, nuCamp (then Pleasant Valley Trailers) would implement changes on the fly, without particular regard for model year. Ergo, model year was not always a good indicator of the features of any particular trailer.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    One item caught my eye: Announced expanded recall of T@B 320 S 1/1/13 through 8/31/16 builds regarding rubber LPG hose laying on frig fins 

Is there an easy way for me to tell if this has been done on my 2014 or if the LPG hose is still in contact with the fridge? What would I do to address it? 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Look here for the summary documents. A link to the original discussion is also provided if you want to peruse various owner solutions. My 2015 was one of the affected units but the fix was pretty easy.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    You have an old list.  The last time I updated this attached list was in 8/2019.  Since your TaB was made in 11/2015, you have a late 2016 model except no Lagun.  

Early 2015 Models

All LED interior lighting and oval LED porch light

Power cord w/ built in LED light

New style Lexan windows, shades and screens

Sink in S model wetbath removed

Black tank of 6 gallons with vent pipe inside shower area (tank under shower floor)

Radial tires

Norcold 3-way frig model 3163

Wood-look vinyl flooring

Late 2015 Models

Fresh water tank of 11 gallons replaced previous inside 5 gallon tank

Gray tank of 19 gallons replaced previous 11 gallon tank

Factory warranty provision of passenger side vent, fan and manual switch to remove excess heat from the Norcold frig.

Early 2016 Models

100% Azdel Backers

3D Logos

Late 2016 Models

Shade/screen reversal - Shades pull up and screens pull down

Factory installed battery cut-off switch

Alde display now digital - replaced sliders

SeeLevel battery and tank monitors

Announced expanded recall of T@B 320 S 1/1/13 through 8/31/16 builds regarding rubber LPG hose laying on frig fins

Lagun table and bed slats standard

Thanks, that list make more sense.

When/what models have the storage in the headboard area, or were they owner mods?  I've read about people losing things down there?

And isn't the ALDE tank off to the side of the upper cabinets in some models or am I mistaken?
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Looks like I have a "late 2014" 320 S - has the Alde and the vent under the fridge :)
    Is there a way to confirm electric vs. surge brakes? Assuming electric?
  • Options
    Looks like I have a "late 2014" 320 S - has the Alde and the vent under the fridge :)
    Is there a way to confirm electric vs. surge brakes? Assuming electric?
    Electric has a wire cable that has a pin on one end that goes into a box attached to the tongue frame, and a loop at the other end that you attach to your tow vehicle.

Tampa FL
  • Options
    I don't think any of the Pleasant Valley T@Bs had surge brakes, just the older models made by Dutchman. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong!)

Regardless, the surge brake equipped frames looked very different--silver with a big obvious spring-piston thing on the tongue (see below). Black frames with the cable and pin Tampakayaker described will have electric brakes.

However--now that I have said that--the image below is from a for sale ad for a 2012 that claims to have surge brakes. It's definitely a different coupler but I'm not completely convinced about the brakes. Anybody know for sure?

2015 T@B S

• Options
    I thought @Verna had surge brakes on her 2014?
  • Options
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2021
    Scott, the bottom photo could be a surge brake, one way to tell, is to see of the coupler head slides back and forth, and look on the underside, you can see the hydro cylinder, or if enclosed a hydraulic hose running back to the axle.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks @ScottG - My 2014 definitely has the black coupler with the cable and pin setup you show below.  =)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Mellow_Yellow (@Sharon_is_SAM), yes, you have surge brakes, a wonderful invention!  Check your brake fluid every once in a while, and have them checked. A utility trailer business always checked mine whenever I had them service my wheel bearings. As I recall, the surge brakes use #5 brake oil. 

You do not need a brake controller with the surge brakes, by the way. I know I wrote in some posts about then. Do a search for surge brakes and read up on them. Interesting. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    I don't think any of the Pleasant Valley T@Bs had surge brakes, just the older models made by Dutchman. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong!)

Regardless, the surge brake equipped frames looked very different--silver with a big obvious spring-piston thing on the tongue (see below). Black frames with the cable and pin Tampakayaker described will have electric brakes.

However--now that I have said that--the image below is from a for sale ad for a 2012 that claims to have surge brakes. It's definitely a different coupler but I'm not completely convinced about the brakes. Anybody know for sure?

ScottG said:

Scott, the lower photo shows the surge brakes on my 2014. The first photo shows the earlier surge brakes from the DM/Thor T@B frames. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Mellow_Yellow - do you have a brake controller?  @Verna - does she need one?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Mellow_Yellow does NOT need a brake controller. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM - that is a very interesting question. I purchased a wireless brake controller, but the RV dealer told me I didn't need it because the trailer has surge brakes. My coupler does look like the black one shown in @ScottG's photo and @Verna's comment above.
  • Options
    Well, your dealer was right😀
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna and @Sharon_is_SAM! You guys are the best  :)
    It is on my list to get the surge brakes and wheel bearings serviced. At least my T@B was neglected and under-used, vs. neglected and over-used!
  • Options
    Ok good then. This is why I generally refrain from commenting on things I know nothing about.  :-)

However, since we are on the topic, I have the impression that the silver Dutchman frames had mechanical surge brakes, but that the earliest PV T@Bs (like @Verna's and, it appears, @Mellow_Yellow's) had frames with hydraulic surge brakes (thus the requirement for brake fluid).

Do I have this correct?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, I’m not sure with the difference because I have never delved into the DM/Thor brand of surge brakes. I just always thought the 2014 surge brakes were neat and so easy to maintain. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The DM AK-Lo frame TaBs had hydraulic surge brakes, too, and a mechanical hand brake.  The rubber boot covers the cylinder plunger.  This is an European design.  Verna’s 2014 was a US style surge hydraulic brake, a different design.  

All surge brakes are a hydraulic/mechanical design.  The term surge indicates the forward movement from a TV stopping causes the trailer to surge forward, pushing the hitch back, moving a piston attached to the hitch in a hydraulic cylinder and pushing fluid to the brakes.  Very efficient and effective brakes.  Rental companies normally use surge brakes in the larger utility trailers they rent out, as a TV brake controller is not required.  They are also common in boat trailers, no electrical components to get wet.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Attaching this very cool! T@B brochure that came along with my pristine "new to me" 2014 T@B 320 S. Seems that 2014 was a banner year for the T@B - introduction of the "wet bath" and the Alde, among other features. 
    @Sharon_is_SAM - I haven't seen anything like this posted in "manuals". Feel free to add it. I also have a higher res 6MB version if you prefer.
  • Options
    @Mellow_Yellow - thanks!  A little piece of history.