Options

Recommendation on Victron battery monitor model

Hi Out There,
 I would like to know which model Victron battery monitor I should purchase. I have a 2014 T@b and at present it has no monitoring system for the battery. I am complete neophyte when it comes to batteries and I have been trying to educate myself thinking I might need more battery capacity. I camped for 6 weeks continuously last year about half the time unconnected and the solar panels seemed to keep me going. However, I feel I should know more about the level of charge so I don’t damage the battery and my usage before I consider changing the battery so a monitor seemed the way to go. I am taking my T@b to Nucamp in March for some work and would like to have them install a battery monitor and wondered which model of the Victron I should get. I saw the discussion of cheaper models available, but convenience and one and done are essential for me. Any advice appreciated

An unrelated question. I was planning on having Nucamp change my glycol as this is a 2014 and the former owner has never done any maintenance. I was surprised how expensive it is. Is this necessary?
Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I can't help much with the battery monitor question, but regarding the Alde glycol, yours is certainly well beyond the recommended two-year change interval. That said, changing the glycol is a hot topic around here. If you are interested, grab a cup of coffee (or better yet, something stronger) and start reading.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    I installed Victron's BMV-712 which has a display unit that can be mounted or you can access the monitor using Bluetooth and an app on a smart phone.  I choose not to mount the display unit and just access it using my phone. I believe the Victron Smart Shunt is cheaper but lacks a display unit and can only be viewed via the app on a smart phone. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    If you don't know anything about batteries...buy a multimeter and learn how to use it.  Simple and effective, a real education.  Then, when you do decide on an installed meter, you will know exactly what it is trying to tell you.  There are many "autoranging multimeters" out there. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Either the BMV 712 or the Smart Shunt will both work fine. The major difference is that the 712 has the display and Smart Shunt is phone app, only. Otherwise, they perform pretty much the same things,

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Thanks everyone. I just found out Nucamp will charge $450ish to install the battery monitor YIKES so perhaps I will try the multimeter first. So much to do and so little $ to throw at it.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Once you start goofing around your trailer with a multimeter you will realize how easy this stuff can be.  The Victron Smart Shunt would be easy to install. 

There are also other types of monitors if you don't feel like digging into your battery.  Something like this is simply a multimeter in a box with bluetooth.  Attach it to your battery......and done.
    It is just going to give you battery voltage, which isn't "perfect", but it is much much better than "hoping".
    The best way to get a reading from any battery is to have the battery switch off, with not charging source connected, so the battery is "rested". This will get you a more accurate reading. This is what you will be looking for.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    And something like this is even cheaper--basically a voltmeter that you plug into the DC power port in cabin. Just as with a multimeter, you have to understand its limitations and be able to interpret what it is telling you, but doing so will hone your "battery whispering" skills and let you make more informed decisions about future upgrades.

Despite implications to the contrary, you do not need an expensive battery monitoring system to enjoy camping in your T@B. If you like gadgets and are willing to drop the coin for them, by all means have at it. However, if you are truly a battery neophyte--and a frugal one at that--you can start a lot simpler and still give yourself a quality education. 

2015 T@B S

• Options
    LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Thanks all, I am going the multimeter route to learn what my usage is. Last summer I just hoped for the best and was conservative—I hoped on my use of electric. I was camping after all and life in the T@B is far from my backpacking life. The chart was super helpful on what I will be reading. The 2014 model I have has no way to monitor any of the systems gray/black water, electric or propane. So this year trying to figure out a bit more on how to monitor. The propane was one I was worried about (lifting the propane to weigh is not an option) but I found a relatively inexpensive monitor that syncs with bluetooth. One issue solved. Again thanks for the useful suggestions.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I too was put off by the cost of Victron so I tried a simpler shunt, also easy to install. It seems very accurate.

44 bucks on Amazon. No phone app but I don't need that as I am not checking my voltage and amp use like some check the price of bitcoin :)

AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter Voltmeter Ammeter 100V 350A Caravan RV Motorhome 999 AH

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited March 2021
    qhumberd said:
    I too was put off by the cost of Victron so I tried a simpler shunt, also easy to install. It seems very accurate.

44 bucks on Amazon. No phone app but I don't need that as I am not checking my voltage and amp use like some check the price of bitcoin :)

AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter Voltmeter Ammeter 100V 350A Caravan RV Motorhome 999 AH

The same device is available directly from China via Aliexpress for about $10 less. I've never purchased from them however, and this is offered as an observation not a recommendation.
    post script: Harbor Freight has some very inexpensive (>$5) VOM's that are surprisingly accurate and durable.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    @Lisamorrisette @qhumberd The important thing is to actively get involved with monitoring.  It isn't hard to do, and any monitor provides a much better picture of your battery status.  Warning on multimeters: they do lead to the heavy stuff:  fuse checking and "continuity!"  The multimeter opened my eyes on battery stuff.
    The AiLi meter has a couple of hits on Forum searches, it seems to be a great alternative.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    All:  Do remember, that when using a multimeter(not sure of the plug in meters, but the same may hold true) that a rested battery is when you need to take your reading.  A rested batter is one that has not seen an significant charge or discharge for ~30 minutes....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    All:  Do remember, that when using a multimeter(not sure of the plug in meters, but the same may hold true) that a rested battery is when you need to take your reading.  A rested batter is one that has not seen an significant charge or discharge for ~30 minutes....
    Yep, this is a point always worth repeating and is also true of cheap plug in meters (which are usually designed to monitor vehicle electrical systems). They act just like a multimeter/voltmeter and their readings will be influenced by any charging currents, load currents, or surface charges that linger after charging.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @Lisamorrisette @qhumberd The important thing is to actively get involved with monitoring.  It isn't hard to do, and any monitor provides a much better picture of your battery status.  Warning on multimeters: they do lead to the heavy stuff:  fuse checking and "continuity!"  The multimeter opened my eyes on battery stuff.
    The AiLi meter has a couple of hits on Forum searches, it seems to be a great alternative.
    I must admit that I have been forever changed and I check the monitor each time I visit the trailer. But I will feel much more confident in my battery use now as I can see it in real time both discharging and charging.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Binge watch the battery!  I get it! 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    DharmaScoutDharmaScout Member Posts: 23
    I got one of those cigarette lighter battery monitors. But shows number of 13.9. The previously posted chart has 12.7 as max. Did I get the wrong kind?
    2021 320S / 2018 Jeep Cherokee w/tow package / Madison, WI
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    edited March 2021
    If you are plugged in to shorepower, the meter reflects the voltage out of the converter.  Ours usually reads 13.6 v, but there is maybe a margin of error with these meters.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DharmaScoutDharmaScout Member Posts: 23
    Not connected to shore power. I got the Victron app to work and it shows the same number. Sounds like the number to avoid is 12.0. Less than 50%.
    2021 320S / 2018 Jeep Cherokee w/tow package / Madison, WI
  • Options
    @DharmaScout Anytime a battery monitor (of any type) is showing 13.0 or above (roughly) that means the battery is being charged.  Sharon-is-Sam asked about being on shore power, which would explain your reading.  Then you added your Victron number.  What you are seeing on your little meter is the solar power "charging" your battery.  Which happens to be the same number you are seeing on your Victron app. 
    Also, the 50 percent number is a little "flexible", depending on the battery type.  Lead acid, 50 percent "depth of discharge" maximizes battery life.  For AGM batteries, I've seen numbers from 60 to even 80 percent.
    Just remember while monitoring your Victron voltage reading will change to a lower reading any time something is running in the trailer.  (Fan, fridge,  TV, etc.)  Sometimes, that reading will read close to your magic "50" percent reading.  Turn things off...and the battery voltage will just drift back up.....so always use a little "windage" when checking your voltage.  Test this yourself.  Wait until dark, and have the trailer unplugged.  Turn the fan and fridge on at the same time and watch your voltage fall on the Victron.  Wait a minute or two and turn those items off, and the voltage will stabilize at a number closer to the actual state of charge.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @DharmaScout - we see higher voltage ratings following recharging our battery, too.  After it has rested, the voltage typically drops to 13.0 - 13.2.  We have an AGM battery - that may account for the voltage difference.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2021
    Thought I'd mention an alternative to the Victron monitor that nobody here has posted about in a couple years. The slight quirk with Victron MPPT and monitors is they seem to log in the app instead of the device.

Sometimes you'll be monitoring a Victron device, switch the app for an in incoming text, then have to start over when you go back to the Victron app as it reconnects to bluetooth. Not the end of the world, and Victron makes great products, but it could be better.

So I just bought a Thornwave Labs BT smart shunt.  Supposed to be more accurate, and logs up to three years... right on the device. You can specify the rate at which it logs, it's long range BT, you can even use some Python and a Raspberry Pi to retrieve everything in the Thornwave shunt and analyze how well your solar and batteries have been doing over time.

But it is a little more than the Victron.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max