Remove AC/create storage cabinet. Tab320S. 2018 model

I have removed the AC unit with desire to use the space as storage- no AC needed. Any advice on best way to convert this space, close off side open vent, other considerations?

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I remove my A/C after each summer and replace it with a custom matching door and two interior shelves. The factory cut-out for the A/C is pretty rough because its hidden by the wood trim piece, so no big deal.  However, it looks bad without the door. Also the cabinet interior is a little tricky to work with because of the aluminum framing and various angles.  Will try to find my prior thread that includes photos.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • HarwoodmaryHarwoodmary Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for this. What do you do with the electrical lines, wall vent, and switch for AC when you take it out each season? Many thanks for your response.
    So sorry - can't find my photos or Forum thread.  The electrical lines can easily be moved out of the way.  I remove the computer fan on the cabinet ceiling, put some foam in the opening, then cover it with some tan construction paper (you need something very flexible to get in the opening).  I cut some very thin plywood for the floor, two sides and back.  I use Polywall with aluminum duct tape to seal the vent opening.  Don't forget to put some foam in the condensation drain to keep bugs and cold out.  The floor is the tricky part because the opening is smaller than the area behind it.  I wish you posted yesterday - I put my A/C back in last night!  :|
    Thanks so much. Last question: do you find summer heat necessitates need for ac vs fantastic fan for cooling? 
    Let me preface this with "I can't stand being in the trailer with the A/C on!" It' very noisy, all the windows have to be closed, shades need to cover the windows to keep out the sun, etc. I'd rather be at home than spend one minute in the trailer with the A/C on. However, in the wild, you only need the A/C in the late afternoon (say 3:00 pm) until sunset (say 5:00 pm).  Before and after that "Window o' Horror" the ceiling fan will keep you cool. For this reason alone I prefer to move the A/C in and out of the trailer in order to extend my camping season.
    This is great and I thought as much! Thanks for your candor!! AC is out- working on the rest. Thank you again!
    Assuming you never put the A/C in again, you can really do a nice retrofit to that space. Just a word of caution, whatever you do, make sure it will allow a new owner the option of pu
    Thankfully this Forum technology didn't send the Rover to Mars. It would be in Kansas right now (and not the pretty part). What I was saying was to consider a new owner.  They may want the A/C, so do a mod that would allow that.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited March 2021
    I did this mod as well and have never looked back. The northeast can get warm, but never enough to justify A/C in my book--even on the occasions I have shore power to run it. We use a couple battery powered 5" fans on hot nights. They are very quiet and move the air enough to keep things comfortable for sleeping.

Here's a couple links to older discussions on the topic. The first one includes @Tabaz's prodigal photos. The second includes photos and details of my installation, as well as a photo of the the factory version of the cabinet.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2709/how-to-remove-the-air-conditioner

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4423/removing-the-air-conditioner-in-a-q
    2015 T@B S
    On second pass, it looks like Tabaz's photos are only of the A/C removal.

@Tabaz, it seems you did finally complete this mod, but I don't recall any photos of the finished product that utilizes more of the space. If do come across some, I'd be curious to see them as well.
    2015 T@B S
    I think I didn't post the photos because I wasn't happy with the results.  With the door closed, it looked great.  It's a very difficult area to be working in because of the limited size of the opening.  Your solution of a smaller square box is best.
    edited March 2021
    Thanks, @Tabaz. I may revisit the issue this year, as I plan to pull the cabinet so I can reattach the outlet to AC power. I disconnected it when I removed the AC, but but would be convenient to use that outlet for phone charging on the occasions I have shore power.

Regardless, the smaller cabinet has still worked out really well. It holds mid-sized items like my modular solar controller, propane lantern, and ThermaCell bug repellers. It's a bigger space than it seems, even if it doesn't make full use of the entire volume.

@Hardwoodmary, one thing I didn't mention is that the door (at least in my case) has a tendency to open on the road despite having two catches installed. I later added a thumb screw to lock it closed--you may want to consider some sort of retention if you don't like picking your stuff up from the floor every time you arrive in camp.  :-)

Please follow up and post photos of what you finally end up doing.
    2015 T@B S
    You bet! I’m excited to have the space for extra items- I’ll post pics along the way!
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    ScottG said:
    ... I disconnected it when I removed the AC, but but would be convenient to use that outlet for phone charging on the occasions I have shore power.
    Just bought a 2020 with the air below the bench seat. Is there legacy electric behind any of the walls inside the cabinet? As Scott wrote, it would be convenient to put other electronics in this spot.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

@AnOldUR, I don't know for certain but I doubt it--there would be no reason to run power up there in the new models, and the circuit that fed the previous A/C is likely now used for the new model.

That said, you can probably gain access to the wall cavity from the access panel for the shower plumbing. It shouldn't be too hard to pull a cable up from the space under the driver's side bench, where it could be spliced into another circuit.

I might consider adding a 12V socket up there as well, to facilitate charging when not on shore power. The one accessible socket over the kitchen sink is great for my voltmeter but not convenient for much else.
    2015 T@B S
    edited March 2021
    And while we are on the topic of wiring inside that cabinet...

@Harwoodmary, getting back to your OP, fitting my cabinet required removal of the ventilation fan above the A/C. Since I was going to need all the breeze I could get I repurposed it for people cooling using an adjustable ball mount attached to the valance. I extended the original 12V DC line so I could still operate the fan with the existing wall switch. 

The fan has an annoying whine reminiscent of a dental drill, but it sure moves a lot of air for its size.

2015 T@B S
    That is a great way to use the fan. And I get the annoying sound! Here is another question- under the seat cushion is a space. Can a spare tire go there or will weight distribution be off too much?
    edited March 2021
    I've heard of owners putting the tire in that location, but I suspect for most of us (certainly me) giving up that prime under bench storage is not an option. My awning, shelter, chairs, tables, and other bulky item all ride there.

Plus tires kinda' smell. YMMV if that's a concern.

Regardless, it shouldn't adversely affect your weight distribution if you did decide to put it there.
    2015 T@B S
    Scott - VERY nice job on that wood frame for the fan.  If you want one that is "Mouse-fart Quiet," try the Noctura brand.  I have them in my Norcold frig and as two additional vents out the side. VERY quiet.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quiet+computer+fans&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Good to know, @Tabaz. At the time I was just trying to repurpose what I had on hand, but the little fan works so well and draws so little power I might consider an upgrade!
    2015 T@B S
    You'll be so impressed by the Noctura.  But, check out the CFM's to make sure whatever model you select pushes enough air.  Verna tells me you have lots of money, so that can't be the issue.
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Wow, the thread title made us cringe at the thought of removing the ac.  We, being Floridians, have run our homes ac most of February.  I can only picture life without ac in my nightmares.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

edited March 2021
    Tabaz said:
    You'll be so impressed by the Noctura.  But, check out the CFM's to make sure whatever model you select pushes enough air.  Verna tells me you have lots of money, so that can't be the issue.
    Why yes, Verna is correct. At least I think so, because I notice every time I open my mouth people nod their heads and mutter "that's rich" under their breath. Also, a recent inventory revealed tens of dollars in my wallet! 
    2015 T@B S
    edited March 2021
    GatorEgg said:
    Wow, the thread title made us cringe at the thought of removing the ac.  We, being Floridians, have run our homes ac most of February.  I can only picture life without ac in my nightmares.
    I feel for ya, @GatorEgg. It's cozy to hide inside when it's five degrees and the snow is howling, but I think having to do so when it the sun is shining and everything is green and it just looks so inviting outside would be my nightmare!  :-)

Coincidentally, today's Arlo and Janice pretty much sums up my feelings about the great outdoors...
    2015 T@B S
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    ScottG said:
    GatorEgg said:
    I feel for ya, @GatorEgg. It's cozy to hide inside when it's five degrees and the snow is howling, but I think having to do so when it the sun is shining and everything is green and it just looks so inviting outside would be my nightmare!  :-)

Coincidentally, today's Arlo and Janice pretty much sums up my feelings about the great outdoors...
    Definitely.  We live outside sun up to sundown.  We wonder about the questions about cooking in a T@b.  Why do that?  Also, what can people be possibly doing inside trailers all the time.  That’s why my camping rig looks like the Clampet mobile.  Kayaks, sailboat and bikes on top.  Hiking gear fills the truck bed.
    But if nighttime temps are over 80-82 the ac comes on for sleeping.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.